First gun question

I'm military and I'm going to be moving to MA on orders. I also want to buy my first pistol to start learning how to shoot and perhaps get an LTC-A for carrying.

I'm looking at the S&W M&P 9mm to start as it seems to get good reviews and looks like it could be a good starter. From what I can tell there are four models on the S&W website (M&P9L, M&P Compact 9mm, M&P 9mm and M&P9c - Compact Size, Thumb Safety). From my reading I think the M&P9L is out because I don't need the 5" barrel, and that leaves the regular and compact size. I'm leaning to the regular, again based on my reading here and elsewhere as for a first pistol from what I understand I want a normal size, not a compact.

Just to start looking, I went online (http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/index.php/manufacturers_id/31/sort/3a/page/1) to the S&W page. I have some confusion, as I found what I think are 4 different versions of the standard size M&P 9:

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/manufacturers_id/31/products_id/38990
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/manufacturers_id/31/products_id/43717
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/manufacturers_id/31/products_id/43717
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/manufacturers_id/31/products_id/37121

So, my question is two-fold. First, is buying online for a first gun a bad idea? I don't think I know what I want to any large degree, so going to a store may not help much and may cost more. Second, in either case, what version of the M&P9 should I go with, or is there a better option out there? It seems that there are either older gun versions online, or "versions" that the stores make (i.e., 10-round magazines) to be in compliance with various state laws, using S&W parts.

Thanks for any help, I appreciate it. Note that I'm looking for the 10-round version due to MA law. I don't want to deal with pre-ban vs. post-ban magazines at this point.

A few comments:

1.) there are no such thing as preban mags with M&P - they are all post-ban, so if you buy any version of this pistol you are stuck with 10 round mags

2.) Most dealers will not sell you a non-mag compliant M&P (i.e. heavy, horrible MA trigger) so there's no real point in buying online since you will have to transfer it through an FFL anyways.

3.) Four Season's in Woburn sells M&P at pretty good prices, so I don't there much point of buying online anyways

4.) If this a carry gun, it's sorta of waste (IMHO) to have such a big pistol with 10 rounds mags. You might want to check out some used glocks instead

Thank you for the quick reply, I appreciate it. I'm going to do some more research based on what you said. I'll be in my home state for a while longer so I can buy the gun here. After talking to the Firearms Bureau, from what I understand if the guns are purchased out of state I can bring them in state when I move without registering and will just have to keep them locked up until I get a license. I'd also like to look into buying the gun here so that I can start using it now as opposed to when I get to MA and have to wait for a LTC.

Last edited:
As you are still in Ohio, "MA-[not "mag"] compliant" is irrelevant. Buy whatever handgun you want (and the M&P is certainly a good choice) and bring it with you when you move to MA. "The List" applies ONLY to in-state sales by a dealer to a MA resident.

Just do NOT bring any M&P mags that hold more than 10 rounds. Under our enlightened laws, possession of them is a felony.

Thank you for the quick reply, I appreciate it. I'm going to do some more research based on what you said. I'll be in Ohio for a while longer so I can buy the gun here. After talking to the Firearms Bureau, from what I understand if the guns are purchased out of state I can bring them in state when I move without registering and will just have to keep them locked up until I get a license. I'd also like to look into buying the gun here so that I can start using it now as opposed to when I get to MA and have to wait for a LTC.

Honestly, what you need to do is a buy a bunch of non-MA compliant guns before you move. Compliance only applies to dealers, so if you move to this state you can bring all the new glocks, kimbers, etc that you want and if you ever choose to sell they will be worth a ton. Again, you can bring any pistol into the state.

However, keep in mind that you can not bring any post-ban high caps. I.e. it's fine to bring in a couple of third generation G19 (which sell for $700-800 here) but leave the hi-cap mags behind and then pick up some prebans.

Bottom line, buy a ton of non-compliant pistol out in Ohio and bring them here, you will be very glad that you did!

buy as many guns as you can before you move to this shit hole.

just be careful with guns like the M&P, for which you can NOT (legally) bring "normal capacity" magazines with you.

the M&P is a great gun....

I would look into all of your options before you settle on the M&P.. In my opinion that's exactly what you would be doing if you bought one.
welcome to NES.. :)

Thanks for the info. I'm not going to be buying extra guns to bring the MA, just one pistol for myself, but I do appreciate the advice.

As an aside to that, once I move to MA (I'll be keeping Ohio residence) can I still buy guns in Ohio since I'm a resident here, or can I only buy them here until I'm on orders to MA? Not sure if anyone knows, but thought I'd check.

After I take my Ohio CCW-compliant course, I'll head over to the range and see what they have to try. It seems the M&P has mixed reviews here. I may still get it, but I'll try to shoot it first.

Last edited:
I was in your shoes a year and a half ago, once I looked over the MA list, I went out and bought the Kimber I wanted and held off on the Sig I knew I wanted but could buy in MA.

Buy what you want, but I often times think, "Man I wish I would have bought one of those before I came home."

Well it seems like I'll at least try to shoot the S&W to see how it feels for me. Out of the versions listed, it seems the only real difference is in the safeties. Do not all M&Ps come with a magazine safety? It doesn't seem necessary to me (perhaps for a LEO), but I wanted to check if there's anything I should really look for other than magazine capacity and size (compact vs. regular). I notice that there are also versions available with a thumb safety.

to the OP:

are you active duty by chace????

are PCSing here?

That's correct on both, AD and a PCS.

Welcome. I found it helpful to first pick a platform and then focussed on a few manufactures and models. I went to the shop and handled a few pistols to see how they felt in my hand.

There is also a lot of useful information here, if you haven't already seen it: http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/forums/81-Massachusetts-Laws

Thanks for the link, I'll check it out and head up to a gun shop with a range to try a few.

Last edited:
I have an M&P9 regular and it's my first gun. All the other handguns I've shot were rentals at ranges. I really like my gun except for the trigger but I think I'm already getting used to it or at least it's getting better. A M&P9 that is MA-Compliant has a 10+ # trigger, if you buy it in Ohio it probably won't so that's good.

As for carry, I honestly wouldn't buy this gun. Like some said, for 10 rds, it's a really big frame. I would get something that you can't get in MA, because you will AT A MINIMUM sell it for all you had to pay and chances are more. Get a nice 1911 or something.... I can't buy a new Springfield Armory 1911 here for example... you can.

One I want for carry is the shorter barrel Springfield Armory 1911, it's slim, .45 cal, feels awesome in your hand...

If your in the Military and keeping your out of state residents you need to get your non resident ltc license. Get it before you come here to avoid problems. Even though their probably are military exemptions that let you live here while maintaining out of state residents. You won't be able to buy a gun here (advantage). So buy before you come.

yes / no

IF the OP is coming to MA on a Permanent Change of Station, he CAN get a regular LTC vs. non-Res. obvious advantage is cost...

this also applies to other "state" benefits such as in-state tuition, and excise tax if he buys a car here ect... [wink]

If your in the Military and keeping your out of state residents you need to get your non resident ltc license. Get it before you come here to avoid problems. Even though their probably are military exemptions that let you live here while maintaining out of state residents. You won't be able to buy a gun here (advantage). So buy before you come.

Is this a home defense or carry gun? If so, my first question would be reliability. You want something that goes bang if heaven forbid you ever do have to pull the trigger.

It'd hopefully be for both, because while I'd like to get an unrestricted LTC-A, I know that's not guaranteed. It's also to get my feet wet with gun ownership and learning how to shoot/take care of a firearm.

I'm pretty lost on selection now, as it seems like there are a lot of good choices but nothing that says pick me. I appreciate all the advice and have been reading a ton. I want something reliable and also with a good warranty (I like the S&W free shipping both ways type warranty).

I'm pretty lost on selection now, as it seems like there are a lot of good choices but nothing that says pick me.

Reading and advice can only take you so far because you're going to get a ton of conflicting opinions on caliber, brand, etc. That's why I'd suggest you hit the range, rent a few different calibers/makes, and take 'em for a test drive. To my way of thinking, guns are pretty subjective in that only you will be able to determine what fits your hand, what caliber you like best, how much recoil is too much, etc. You could also ask a buddy with a decent collection if he'd mind taking a few of his more interesting items to the range so you can tag along and get a feel. Time to move from the academic to the practical. :)

If you can get one before moving (i.e. without the MA premium), consider picking up a new Glock 19. It's 9mm, smaller tha a full size but still comfortable, hicap prebans are around for an okay price, very reliable, and if you change your mind once you officially move here, you can sell it at a big markup and go buy a new MP.

Just my two cents. I really liked the G19 but couldn't stand the MA price.

Well I'm going to head to the store/range and try to test a few out, after taking the Ohio CCW course. I'm also considering revolvers for their reliability and price point.

For semi-autos it looks like some options are the G19, Kahr PM9 and Sig P239. Some revolver options are the S&W small or med frames in .38sp or .357.

Last edited:
IF the OP is coming to MA on a Permanent Change of Station, he CAN get a regular LTC vs. non-Res. obvious advantage is cost...

When you check out the M&P, try at least 2 of the 3 different grips. You might shoot one better than the other even though both feel good in your hand. Likewise, if you check out the Glocks, make sure that the grip is comfortable in the hand and you can eject a mag w/o changing your grip (my hands are too small and I can't do this with the Glocks).

Personally, I wouldn't concern yourself with "big gun, not worth it with only 10 rd mags" . . . learn to shoot for accuracy and the amount of lead you put down range won't be as big a deal as many make it out to be. <Just one person's opinion however>

Buy what fits your hand best and what you can shoot most accurately.

As mil w/Ohio home of record, MANY chiefs will refuse to issue you a Resident LTC in MA (their option) and force you to get a MA NR LTC. NR LTCs will NOT legally allow you to buy any guns or ammo in MA, only allow you to possess . . . and many now are issued restricted to no CCW.

IIRC, NR LTC for mil get 2 years for their $100, but I won't swear to this. If you have to go that route, check the MGLs in that area (posted here in MA gun laws forum) as most issuing LTCs are clueless on the ins and outs of what MGLs really say.

Welcome to the forum and thanks for your service.

As mil w/Ohio home of record, MANY chiefs will refuse to issue you a Resident LTC in MA (their option) and force you to get a MA NR LTC. NR LTCs will NOT legally allow you to buy any guns or ammo in MA, only allow you to possess . . . and many now are issued restricted to no CCW.

IIRC, NR LTC for mil get 2 years for their $100, but I won't swear to this. If you have to go that route, check the MGLs in that area (posted here in MA gun laws forum) as most issuing LTCs are clueless on the ins and outs of what MGLs really say.

I have been folowing this thread and wondered when this would be brought up. A friend from NH just got his restricted NR LTC, even after submitting two letters of recommendation from CLEOs in his state that vouched for him.[angry] Hopefully your military standing will help.

Bill

Last edited:
When you check out the M&P, try at least 2 of the 3 different grips. You might shoot one better than the other even though both feel good in your hand. Likewise, if you check out the Glocks, make sure that the grip is comfortable in the hand and you can eject a mag w/o changing your grip (my hands are too small and I can't do this with the Glocks).

Personally, I wouldn't concern yourself with "big gun, not worth it with only 10 rd mags" . . . learn to shoot for accuracy and the amount of lead you put down range won't be as big a deal as many make it out to be. <Just one person's opinion however>

Buy what fits your hand best and what you can shoot most accurately.

Welcome to the forum and thanks for your service.

Thanks for the welcome and for the advice, I'll check some stuff out and hopefully find something that works.

Back
Top Bottom