First Gun Purchase

Excellent call on heading to Mass Firearms first. Everyone has an opinion on what gun is the best, but as said previously it all comes down to what you shoot best with. Once you do make the purchase make sure to post up here and give us a range report as how you did.

Use the search function for infinity thread about this, but the correct answer is Glock. [laugh]
Also congrats on your LTC welcome to the gang!

No need to do it over.
P1010810a.jpg P1010811a.jpg

A four drawer fire proof file cabinet with "high security" lock boxes bolted in each drawer will hold a lot. Add an external vertical bar lock for an additional layer of security. And don't forget the electronic proximity pepper spay device attached to the front!

What ever happened to a G17? Another easy shooter, but plastic...yuk. Metal frames are available, I wonder why?

Last edited:
No need to do it over.
View attachment 312925 View attachment 312926

A four drawer fire proof file cabinet with "high security" lock boxes bolted in each drawer will hold a lot. Add an external vertical bar lock for an additional layer of security. And don't forget the electronic proximity pepper spay device attached to the front!

What ever happened to a G17? Another easy shooter, but plastic...yuk. Metal frames are available, I wonder why?
Love a good revolver. In fact I got my speed six for under $500 if I recall correctly.

Dont limit your budget so quickly.
Do go to MFS and try as many guns as you can.
As you pick up and try , you will soon feel how some will just fit . Trust your gut.
Trying to jam a carry gun and range fun gun into a $500 budget is just not a good idea.
Dont discount some older used pistols
For range fun
i have a SW 1911 i picked up used for $400 i run cast target loads through it.
SW model 41 22lr......not $500 but great gun

Carry gun is a 4013 with the wider grip. It was chosen because of how well It draws and points. i dont have to fuss with it.

Well, I bought a Rossi .357, but that was before Al Gore invented the internet. I soon bought a Glock 17. I sold off the Rossi a couple decades ago, but still own the G17.

I'd buy a Glock!!

Thank you all for suggestions. I’m not planning on using this gun for carrying but just as a range gun Tito get use to firing. In time I plan on picking up more. This is just a starting piece

Thank you all for suggestions. I’m not planning on using this gun for carrying but just as a range gun Tito get use to firing. In time I plan on picking up more. This is just a starting piece

What kind of guns do you like the look of? What do you want to shoot?
What interests you in firearms?

I got my LTC about 6 years ago and I didn't know anything about firearms and I had no one to ask. I was nervous about recoil, my budget was limited and I wanted a thumb safety so I got a Ruger SR22 for my first gun. Practiced with it and carried it for a couple of months then bought a used Ruger LC9 and eventually accumulated more. If I were to do it again in 2019, knowing what I know now, I'd probably get Smith and Wesson Victory .22 and then a Shield 2.0 9mm to start with while I learned and explored more. The Victory is a pretty fun target .22. They're about $350 and there are a ton of pretty affordable upgrade options like trigger kits, grips, red dots, etc. The Shield is also pretty affordable and there are tons of options for holsters, extended magazines, sights, lights, upgrades, etc.

The SR22 was perfect for me to learn on because it mimics the controls of a "typical" semi-auto but it got boring kinda quick. Maybe it's just me or the cheap bulk ammo I use but I'm not very accurate with it. The Victory was way more fun and accurate out of the box plus I added a Tandemkross Race gun kit and Vortex Venom red dot so its been able to grow with me as my skills improve.

Also, keep in mind that a carry gun should be tested for reliability before you commit to carrying it. Whatever you decide on, be sure to run a few hundred rounds through it to make sure it fits your hands and functions reliably before you commit to buying accessories and carrying it.

I got my LTC about 6 years ago and I didn't know anything about firearms and I had no one to ask. I was nervous about recoil, my budget was limited and I wanted a thumb safety so I got a Ruger SR22 for my first gun. Practiced with it and carried it for a couple of months then bought a used Ruger LC9 and eventually accumulated more. If I were to do it again in 2019, knowing what I know now, I'd probably get Smith and Wesson Victory .22 and then a Shield 2.0 9mm to start with while I learned and explored more. The Victory is a pretty fun target .22. They're about $350 and there are a ton of pretty affordable upgrade options like trigger kits, grips, red dots, etc. The Shield is also pretty affordable and there are tons of options for holsters, extended magazines, sights, lights, upgrades, etc.

The SR22 was perfect for me to learn on because it mimics the controls of a "typical" semi-auto but it got boring kinda quick. Maybe it's just me or the cheap bulk ammo I use but I'm not very accurate with it. The Victory was way more fun and accurate out of the box plus I added a Tandemkross Race gun kit and Vortex Venom red dot so its been able to grow with me as my skills improve.

Also, keep in mind that a carry gun should be tested for reliability before you commit to carrying it. Whatever you decide on, be sure to run a few hundred rounds through it to make sure it fits your hands and functions reliably before you commit to buying accessories and carrying it.

I got my LTC around the same time. My first was an M&P .40 (I know) full size, my second was the SR22. I shot the SR22 for like three months and haven’t shot it since other than if I bring a noob shooting. Bought a drop in 9mm barrell/mags for the M&P about a year later and haven‘t shot .40 since. Also bought a 9mm shield fairly soon after, not a complaint at all about that gun even though I haven’t carried it in forever. If I had to do it again I’d have done the M&P full size in 9, then a carry gun. The SR22 sucks, it feels like a plastic toy and has a mushy trigger. if OP is buying one gun and not intending to carry, I’d get the M&P 9 full size or maybe the 9C. Those are versatile, can be ok range guns and home pro. A .22 should be the 3rd or maybe 4th gun IMO. There’s nothing wrong w a full or mid sized 9mm to learn on, you don’t need to learn on a .22 if that’s going to be your first/only gun.

I got my LTC around the same time. My first was an M&P .40 (I know) full size, my second was the SR22. I shot the SR22 for like three months and haven’t shot it since other than if I bring a noob shooting. Bought a drop in 9mm barrell/mags for the M&P about a year later and haven‘t shot .40 since. Also bought a 9mm shield fairly soon after, not a complaint at all about that gun even though I haven’t carried it in forever. If I had to do it again I’d have done the M&P full size in 9, then a carry gun. The SR22 sucks, it feels like a plastic toy and has a mushy trigger. if OP is buying one gun and not intending to carry, I’d get the M&P 9 full size or maybe the 9C. Those are versatile, can be ok range guns and home pro. A .22 should be the 3rd or maybe 4th gun IMO. There’s nothing wrong w a full or mid sized 9mm to learn on, you don’t need to learn on a .22 if that’s going to be your first/only gun.

I almost got an sr22, rented it a bunch at MFL. Ended to getting an SP101 in .22 as i had shot the revolver better than the semi in my ltc class. Now it is a phenomenal revolver trainer when I ever take it out which as my revolvers in .38 and .357 are shorter barrels it is good to have a trainer for.

.22 is good for paper practice for fundametals when you can consistently pull back the target to check shots. However after shooting larger calibers it doesn't feel like much, and shooting steel or a target that is out in the middle of a live range I can barely make out where I hit. Much different than .45 out of my 1911.(1911 is gun I am second most accurate with, suck it 9mm plastic gun)

For any .22Lr handgun, only look at Ruger.

No one makes better .22LR guns than Ruger. Period. And .22LR handguns can be a pain depending on the ammo.

For 9mm, you have a ton of options.

I almost got an sr22, rented it a bunch at MFL. Ended to getting an SP101 in .22 as i had shot the revolver better than the semi in my ltc class. Now it is a phenomenal revolver trainer when I ever take it out which as my revolvers in .38 and .357 are shorter barrels it is good to have a trainer for.

.22 is good for paper practice for fundametals when you can consistently pull back the target to check shots. However after shooting larger calibers it doesn't feel like much, and shooting steel or a target that is out in the middle of a live range I can barely make out where I hit. Much different than .45 out of my 1911.(1911 is gun I am second most accurate with, suck it 9mm plastic gun)
even a cheap $20 spotting scope will help with checking your targets at short distance 22holes.
Get a little creative and depending on how the range is set up. Simple clamp mount on a divider wall or bech.
binoculars work well for indoors.

Almost everyone I have let shoot my hand guns. 95% always shoot better with the revolvers.
The problem is nice revolvers are generally expensive.
I miss my K22 , more accurate than most of my 22lr rifles!
Its hard buying first guns. Some of us lucked out or not and our dads/uncles or who ever bought our first guns when we where young.
still have my glennfield 25. Great little gun . Countless rounds and still going.

Today knowing what i know.
what do you want to do the most, what access do you have to clubs or safe shooting area.
do you plan to hunt?
Are you limitted to short ranges under 200 yards.
While your thinking keep saving.

also go to your local clubs "public" welcome events.
BReakfast,dinner,shoots poke around. I have picked up some nice stuff just talking with folks at the break fast table. Plus theres usually a want ad board to check out.

Last edited:
even a cheap $20 spotting scope will help with checking your targets at short distance 22holes.
Get a little creative and depending on how the range is set up. Simple clamp mount on a divider wall or bech.
binoculars work well for indoors.

For $80 more than a $20 spotting scope I now have a "spotting scope" with marlin 60 attached to it, I can easily see the holes at 50 yards now which is longer than I was shooting through sp101 at.

I'm assuming you are talking about a Mass LTC. My first: Before I knew any better ;), I was told no go on new/newer Glocks, so after a lot of research, I ended up buying an excellent condition preowned VP9 for about $440. Very happy I did. At that time I was also considering a Canik or a M&P. This year I bought a S&W Victory 22 and that thing is a Blast! Pun intended! :p

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom