First Gun Purchase

I just received my LTC and am going to go shopping within the next week. As this is my first firearm, I have little previous experience, I was planning on looking at a inexpensive, sub $500, .9mm or .22 in order to pick up some cheap ammo and practice at the range until I’m ready to upgrade. Was wondering if anyone has any suggestions? I’m also looking at going to Mass Firearms to try out a few options

I also had little experience when first starting - my first was a Ruger MK3 (.22) which I was able to shoot quite a bit early on

Congrats on the LTC!

Normally this. But sub-$500 and looking to try out is gonna be hard. Sig 320c????

I've gotta say, I've been a Glock shooter for decades. That blocky frame was something I ignored when I was younger. Today? I'm too used to the blocky frame to change. But a new shooter? Maybe something more ergonomic. Hence the 320C.

Not in the price range, but I picked up a G48 recently. Nice to hold. Not great to shoot. I'd rather stick with the normal double-stack Glock sizes in that frame-height. Not sure why. I'll continue to test it out, but I was surprised at how hard it was to hold onto (in terms of it moving in my grip).

I do not own a glock

I have not shot a glock

Still I would say that is probably a good answer.

My take is that a smaller than "full size" but bigger than "pocket size" handgun in 9 mm is a good place to start. While learning on .22 is the recommended place to start (and was all I had for a while) most people who get their license and get into shooting you want something that can be utilized not only at the range on paper but also HD and to carry possibly.

I got a ruger SR9, its meh not amazing but nothing to write home about. If I was to go through it again I would probably get the SR9c instead of SR9 because it is slightly smaller and in MA with 10 rnd mags the extra magwell if you are trying to carry an SR9 is just stupid empty space. My choice came down to a grab bag of similar models

Of my guns the 9 is the one that never gets to leave the house, unless my wife is coming to the range, for a mix of reasons, however it will never get sold because my FIL has one and so my wife is familiar with it already.

With that said, bear in mind that if you WANT a specific format gun but get pushed in a different direction there is a good chance you will buy that other gun anyway down the line so don't think you are "being smart" but following group think of what YOU should buy.

You should figure out what your goals are and what your taste is in guns and then work from there.

If you're buying your first gun evuh, and your primary concern is becoming a better shooter rather than immediate self-defense, buy a Ruger 10/22 or semi-auto pistol.

9x19 doesn't have a lot of recoil but it takes years or at least months for someone to become very comfortable with guns. And by comfortable, I mean able to safely shoot and handle 99% of guns with no qualms. If you don't get that as a kid, you'll need it as an adult.

You're on the right path with testing out a few at Mass Firearms. They have a great range selection. Wish I had done that myself for the first pistol.

Dont go shopping just yet. Read, and I mean READ this forum before you go buy anything , there is enough info on here to make a savvy purchase. Figure out if your going to carry , range time, or both. Using the classifieds on here is a good start and make sure you can get ammo for whatever you buy.

If you're buying your first gun evuh, and your primary concern is becoming a better shooter rather than immediate self-defense, buy a Ruger 10/22 or semi-auto pistol.

9x19 doesn't have a lot of recoil but it takes years or at least months for someone to become very comfortable with guns. And by comfortable, I mean able to safely shoot and handle 99% of guns with no qualms. If you don't get that as a kid, you'll need it as an adult.

10/22 was the first gun I ever bought. Very fun shooter...everyone I’ve ever taken shooting very much enjoyed it

Buy a gently used Beretta 92fs, then pick up the factory Beretta .22 conversion kit for it. You'll have both of your boxes checked for not too much more than $500.00 and you'll have a great start to a collection that you can keep for life and rely on.

My first gun was a G19. I had shot some other guns and was ok with the recoil. Shot 100rds a week for about a year to get somewhat proficient.

From FS's website. 3" barrel model similarly priced.

Springfield XD Mod 2 9mm 4"

Full size frame with GRIP ZONE texture, fiber optic front sight.

Includes 2 Mags and hard case
$439.95/$429.95

Was going to suggest this, and I don't even own one (have shot one though, if that counts)

For the price, this looks to be one of the better deals going for a 'new' gun in MA. Spending $500 (or likely more) for a used glock on your first purchased kind of takes the fun out of knowing you're the first owner of that gun.

I do own several Glocks, and recommend them, just not at MA prices used for a 'first' gun.

Have to agree with the M&P 9c 2.0, if you do get a 22 the M&P compact also my choice. No damn SR22, crap trigger, feels like a toy.

Go to a dealer and get a classic all metal 9mm before you try any plastic.
I have two of these which feel like shooting a 22

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom