• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

First Gun Purchase, how did you start your collection?

Chronologically

1984: Marlin 60
Long time passes.
2010: Maverick 88
2011: Ruger 22/45
2012: AK 47
2012: Highpoint C9
2013: Ruger 10/22 takedown
2014: PSA AR15
2015: 2 AR15s
2016: 2 AR 15 pistols
2017: AR15 pistol 300BLK
2018: Glock 19X
2019: 2 AR9s
2020: 2 AR47s
2021: AR47 pistol
2022: ?????
I caught the build it bug as you can see.
Still have parts for another one, just haven't decided what flavor.

First handgun, Llama 22 revolver, ~1960s. First carry, Charter Arms 38 spl, ankle holster, early 70's. First rifle, Ruger 10/22, ~1960s. Still own them all, including the ankle holster.

First rifle: “sporterized” 7x57mm Spanish Mauser.
First handgun: Herter’s (the original, not the Cabela’s brand) SA .357 magnum.

With almost 60 years of gun ownership, I would ask the question: How much experience do you have with firearms?

If you’ve been shooting for awhile and have a couple of thousand rounds under your belt, then I would go with a 9mm Glock as your first carry gun. I personally don’t own any Gocks (don’t like the grip angle, they don’t naturally point for me plus I think they are ugly;)). Glocks are the Toyota Camry of the gun world and work for 99% of the population.

However, Knowing what I know now, if you are really just starting out, get a .22 rifle. The ubiquitous Ruger 10/22 has taught more shooters good fundamentals than probably any other gun. Having started out with the 7x57 and the .357, it took me a long time to unlearn all the bad habits I developed. The biggest issue I see with starting out with a compact or sub-compact 9mm is that it is fairly easy to develop a flinch. Compared to a 10/22 or even a .22 LR pistol, the small 9mms aren’t all that pleasant to shoot (well, compared to my S&W 460V they are). Starting out with a .22 lets you concentrate on developing good trigger control and sighting technique without worrying about recoil mitigation or being distracted by muzzle blast. It’s also a lot cheaper to shoot, so you’ll be able to get a lot more practice for the dollar.

It is import to practice with what you carry, but if you don’t have the fundamentals down in the first place, you just might end up practicing bad habits.

First rifle: “sporterized” 7x57mm Spanish Mauser.
First handgun: Herter’s (the original, not the Cabela’s brand) SA .357 magnum.

With almost 60 years of gun ownership, I would ask the question: How much experience do you have with firearms?

If you’ve been shooting for awhile and have a couple of thousand rounds under your belt, then I would go with a 9mm Glock as your first carry gun. I personally don’t own any Gocks (don’t like the grip angle, they don’t naturally point for me plus I think they are ugly;)). Glocks are the Toyota Camry of the gun world and work for 99% of the population.

However, Knowing what I know now, if you are really just starting out, get a .22 rifle. The ubiquitous Ruger 10/22 has taught more shooters good fundamentals than probably any other gun. Having started out with the 7x57 and the .357, it took me a long time to unlearn all the bad habits I developed. The biggest issue I see with starting out with a compact or sub-compact 9mm is that it is fairly easy to develop a flinch. Compared to a 10/22 or even a .22 LR pistol, the small 9mms aren’t all that pleasant to shoot (well, compared to my S&W 460V they are). Starting out with a .22 lets you concentrate on developing good trigger control and sighting technique without worrying about recoil mitigation or being distracted by muzzle blast. It’s also a lot cheaper to shoot, so you’ll be able to get a lot more practice for the dollar.

It is import to practice with what you carry, but if you don’t have the fundamentals down in the first place, you just might end up practicing bad habits.
I’ve put somewhere around 300 rounds down range. A mix between pistols and rifles, including a trip to battlefield Vegas which included some awesome full auto shooting.

I was thinking a .22 or 9mm carbine might be good for learning good technique, or even something like a lever action using .38 special.

There’s so many options. But I do plan on getting formal training too.

I fired exactly one shot from my friends snub-nose. I think it was a .357, but that trigger pull felt like it took forever, and I did not enjoy that experience at all. I did like the 1911 and glock we shot that day though!

My snub-nose is a pleasure to shoot. It's .38spl, not .357. And I put an apex trigger kit in as soon as I got it. I've also shot at least 1,000 rounds through it. The trigger is so smooth, that you actually stage it. It's easy to conceal, and it's not finicky. Not trying to encourage you to get one, just bragging about mine[smile]

Started with a Japanese Arisaka my uncle gave me (my father to hold for me) when I was 3 years old. Can’t even start on everything that happened between then and now. Lol.

I suggest you pick up the Taurus G3c. It is affordable (under $300 if you look), concealable, and reliable. It has an external safety. It would be a great gun to learn with, and when you want to trade up, it should be easy to trade in.

Last edited:
When I was about 9 I got a Remington 581 for Christmas. I've been shooting for as long as I can remember.
My first purchase with my own $$ is my Marlin 336 in 35 Remington. I bought it in 1988 when I was 18 to go hunting with some HS buddies. My dad offered up his 25-06 for me to use and is what I used up to that point. But I was working full time and had my own money so it was time to get my own rifle.
I went to the local hardware store /FFL and said to Bob "I'm going hunting with the Crane boys. I'd like my own gun". Bob pulls down an 870 with a slug barrel and says "this'll kill deer"
I say I'm going to NY state with them. Bob pulls down the Marlin and says "this'll kill deer in NY state".
And that it did. To this day it is my preferred deer rifle. And I own over 50 rifles.
My first pistol was a Ruger P85. I still regret selling that one.

I’ve officially got my LTC now and have been thinking about how I want to start my collection. I’m told to plan on getting more than I thought I would… which already seems true as I read and learn more about different kinds of guns (not even touching on surplus guns).

I‘m likely going to start with a handgun, as I imagine a lot of folks do unless their first was something like a .22 rifle they got as a teen.

I‘m leaning towards starting with something in the Glock 19/ M&P 9 compact size range, or maybe even go for something a little more concealable like a Shield sized gun. I‘ve read that smaller guns are harder to control, but I don’t have the immediate budget to purchase more than one gun, and while I’d like a larger compact or even full-size pistol I think I’d rather learn and train with whatever I’ll eventually be carrying, and then add a rifle next.

So how did you start your collection? And how quickly did you need to buy a bigger safe?!
Mak 90 thumbhole stock

30 round standard capacity magazines

Mossberg 500 from Service Merchandise when I just got out of college. Left it w my dad when I moved to MA. FFWD a few years and M&P.40 full size followed a few weeks later by a Shield 9mm. Then a bunch of stuff since (bought a drop in 9mm barrel for the M&P & haven’t fired it in .40 since).

If your intent is to carry then go w a 9mm compact/subcompact from the start. If you’re looking for home pro then get a full sized 9mm like an M&P or Glock, learn to shoot that then look for carry.

Mine was the 1911A1 clone AutoOrd was putting out around then. If the Golden Age of The Modern Carry 1911 had arrived yet, I certainly wasn't aware of it. Lol.

Plus, I was a starving student. That thing cost around $350, IIRC. Later, when I brought it out to ranges in the Army and let my platoon sergeant shoot it, he said it was exactly the same as the ones he'd been issued in the Berlin Brigade in the late '80s. "It even malfunctions the same way," he laughed.

I was a hunter...so i bought a 1986 brand new Browning Auto 5 Sweet 16, with both a slug barrel and a bird barrel. But then a Ruger Red Label 0/U for birds. I still have both.
That was only the beginning of buying/trading/selling for 30 years, going thru different phases, pistols, levers, pumps, old rifles, fancy shotguns, C&R.....they add up. Im not a collector, I like to use what i have, but I never get to use all of them. My son will get what he wants between my fathers collection and mine.

OP, congrats!

I wanted to get my LTC but lived in Boston and figured it was a pipe dream. Once I escaped it was the first thing I did after moving into my house.

That said, I was the poster child for un-informed first time buyer in the gun world. Didn’t really grasp the free state versus Massified concept.

Being originally from western Mass I thought why not buy local.

First gun was a M&P Shield followed closely by a full size M&P. Now that I’ve branched out a bit I’m not a fan of the shield but still enjoy shooting the full size.

Next was a Troy Carbine (like I said, un-informed) and then a Windham Weaponry AR.

With the AR boxes check the shotgun itch arose. First shotgun was a Mossberg 500 followed by a 590.

Things spiraled quickly out of control from there. Word of advise, buy the biggest safe you can fit into what ever space you plan to put it and immediately find a place for you next safe.

These days I carry a 365 XL and an M&P 2.0 Compact.

First handgun was a SIG P320 chambered with 357 SIG and a 9mm conversion kit.
Next we got 2 P938s and added lasers.
next was another 9mm SIG P320 this time with the manual safety.
then my wife and son gave me a P226 legion chambered in 9 mm and a 357 SIG conversion kit for Christmas.
the last one is a 9 mm SIG 365 that we just got.

Almost forgot. We also have 2 AR-15s, a couple breakbarrel pellet guns, a CO2 pellet gun, and a 22 bolt action rifle that has seen more rounds than all the others combined.
There is something about the feel of a bolt action Rifle.

Next will most likely be a shot gun or another bolt action rifle that is a bit bigger than the 22.

OP, congrats!

I wanted to get my LTC but lived in Boston and figured it was a pipe dream. Once I escaped it was the first thing I did after moving into my house.

That said, I was the poster child for un-informed first time buyer in the gun world. Didn’t really grasp the free state versus Massified concept.

Being originally from western Mass I thought why not buy local.

First gun was a M&P Shield followed closely by a full size M&P. Now that I’ve branched out a bit I’m not a fan of the shield but still enjoy shooting the full size.

Next was a Troy Carbine (like I said, un-informed) and then a Windham Weaponry AR.

With the AR boxes check the shotgun itch arose. First shotgun was a Mossberg 500 followed by a 590.

Things spiraled quickly out of control from there. Word of advise, buy the biggest safe you can fit into what ever space you plan to put it and immediately find a place for you next safe.

These days I carry a 365 XL and an M&P 2.0 Compact.
User name is just one I’ve used around other more global forums… It really should read B.Bellingham if I was going to be more accurate. Haha

Thankfully, Bellingham is a great town for those applying for LTC. I was able to take my course, meet the Sargent for finger printing and paperwork, and pickup my LTC just about one month after.

I know I have a lot to learn on the Free State vs Mass end of things. I’m sure there’s got to be some good threads on here about that I’ll need to search for.

Back
Top Bottom