• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

First Gun Purchase, how did you start your collection?

Nice! Can I assume the delay between your first post and now was just waiting for tax returns?

I'm one of those whose first gun was a .22 my dad bought me when I was 15. The first I bought for myself was an H&R single shot 12 ga I picked up from a hardware store at about the same age.

Would make sense, but actually I got a $200 reward with one of my credit cards and also got a 24% back offer on purchases from Bass Pro. So between the two I got a really good deal (the 24% back can be used to purchase giftcards which I’ll use for ammo, or maybe put it towards a 10/22 that my son has been bugging me to pick up).

I was taking some time shooting a whole bunch of guns at my local range and seeing what I liked. I still was going back and forth between a CCW like the 365xl versus a slightly larger compact like a 320 or glock 19 but the deal and availablity of the 365xl made my decision for me.

The old man gave me a Mossberg 44B rifle long ago when I got my first house in the woods and raccoons were killing my chickens. It has no serial number ha ha (pre 68)
First handgun, a P220 a few years later.

The old man gave me a Mossberg 44B rifle long ago when I got my first house in the woods and raccoons were killing my chickens. It has no serial number ha ha (pre 68)
First handgun, a P220 a few years later.
I have a 44B that was my granddad's first gun. He bought it about 1934 so he could be on his HS rifle team. He and his brother were the co captains of the team. IMG_20180929_135729867.jpg
Top to bottom, granddads, dads, mine, my son's

Last edited:
First pistol; P89 ($300)
First rifle; SKS ($99)
First shotgun; Mossberg bull pup 12 gauge ($250)

All purchased at Texas gun shows in the early nineties

Mossberg 535 Turkey pump followed closely by a S&W Sigma 9mm.... cause I wanted to hunt and carry and that's what I could afford.

In 2008 after Obama was elected and all this talk about gun confiscations and Joe and Barry saying “no one is coming for your guns”. I immediately applied for my LTC. The first gun was a Sig P229 in 40. I traded it for a USP compact and never actually shot the Sig.

SIG 229 in 9mm. I was with a buddy at the time wh was buying his first firearm as well. He bought the S&W MP 9mm Range kit. We met up with a buddy of mine and a friend of his and hit the Braintree range. His buddy brought his AK and the obsession took off from there. To this day I still shoot the 229 better than any of my other firearms.

my collection started when assbag Obama was elected. I immediate ran to get my LTC expecting that radical to destroy gun rights.

Think my first purchase was a Remington 870 and a 10/22

My first gun was a Glock 23 and it was all down hill from there. For the first 4 years I bought an of average 2 guns per month. Then I got my 01 FFL so that made it even easier to buy and sell guns, Then 2 years ago I got my 07/02 FFL/SOT. Now it's a whole new rabbit hole to go down. If you like having money in your bank account and like eating food other than Raman noddle's, it's probably best that you don't buy any guns.

Mom got me a Browning BL-22 when I was a teenager.
A few years later I foolishly traded it in (with some cash) for a Remington 700 in .30-'06.
I still have the Remington, but would like to get a replacement Browning at some point.
Done.

Picked one up from an associate.

Browning BL-22 with a Burris 1.5 pistol scope (German #1 reticle) mounted in the forward position.

I'll probably take the scope off and see if my gunsmith can add a peep sight to the rear of the receiver.

BL-22 left side.jpg

Isn't this a common security question on the web? What was your first gun purchase???

Ok... Sig 226.
1994 Manufactured West German p226. purchased in 1995. It was all uphill from there. She still runs like a dream, shot it on Thursday before the snow came in. Still more accurate than I am.

Me too, I want to say 1993. I used it for my two Sig pistol classes cause it’s awesome.

My dad bought me a 10/22 and 22/45 in the early 90s so I could learn to shoot. I shot the hell out of those and his old pre-68 H&R topper single-shot 410. This was in North Carolina, so when I got an apartment during college he gave them to me with an admonition not to shoot my eye out. First gun I bought was a Taurus PT-111 Pro (don't judge) which was actually 100% reliable and a great gun that I CCWed for years.

When I started learning more about guns I bought a Springfield XD when they were fairly new to the market. Being an engineer I quickly determined that there were several mechanical shortcomings (the extractor was pressed into a blind hole, so it if broke you just throw the gun away, this might be different on newer versions), so I took it back to the gun shop, put it on consignment and bought a glock 19. I carried either a G26 or G19 for about 15 years until I moved here. I recently bought a P365 and it's an awesome carry gun, but I'm sticking with my glocks because i have so many full-cap mags (like 60+, back in the free states) and parts for them, and sig is very proud of their mags.

I was a die-hard AK guy for YEARS, took a bunch of classes with them etc. but right before Sandy Hook I purchased several ARs as an investment. I discovered that they were not fragile and unreliable as I had thought, and in fact the ergonomics and weight was superior to the AK. Also I got into suppressors and figured out they are easier to suppress than an AK (the muzzle threads are guaranteed to be square and concentric, you can increase buffer weight or get an adjustable gas block etc.), so I ended up selling all my AKs and replacing them with ARs.

So at least for me, it has been an (expensive) journey, figuring out what works for me and my specific use case and what I like. IMHO a glock 19 is a great first gun purchase, but don't get myopic and think a certain platform is the end-all, be-all. Everything has its pros and cons and some guns may simply fit you better.

I’m not a fanboy, in fact I really don’t “like” glocks much but I think every gun owner should have at least one g19. Protect your home, learn to carry it and shoot it safely. Belt and holster are not items to save money on. After that, just start reading, learning and trying other things and figure out what you’re into.
A good holster and belt is necessary.

I was lucky to have a good collection from my Dad as I grew up, so I always had a love of shooting. Otherwise my first purchase would have killed that joy.

My first gun that I bought all on my own was an M1 Garand that I found at a gun show in Maryland while stationed there in the Army. I don't care what everyone says, it was utter garbage.

Back
Top Bottom