First gun purchase delayed

Well i got my first LTC A Unrestricted in the mail today....was really excited!

And i just got back from my local gun store empty handed!

They were holding an M&P 40 Range kit that i paid for in full a few weeks ago...

Well the guy said the NICS check came back "Delayed" and gave him a proceed date of 4/2/13....very annoying

I did have one arrest on my record 10 years ago that was CWOF/Dismissed, it obviously wasn't a problem since i got my Unrestricted Class A LTC

BUT apparently there will likely be a 3 day "cool-down" period for me....at least that's what the dealer told me....he says that he usually gets a call back within a couple days with the go ahead...

so more waiting lol

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Perhaps there is someone else with the same name and other similar information?? Not sure exactly how it works...

Previous incidents involving police can hang you up. A friend of mine had an incident as a juvenile where he pulled a knife on his uncle who was beating the shit out of him. His mom defended her brother instead of her son, and IIRC, she called the cops. [angry][rolleyes]

Weak. Due to this incident, my friend got delayed until he finally got his FBI PIN.

Not sure if it is true or not, but per my LGS, he states they normally now delay the first purchase.

Again, not claiming one way or another, but it is what I heard.

Not that PIN, the PIN you can get from the FEDs if you keep getting delayed. Some "Voluntary" program, I'll have to look it up for you.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't have to look it up for you, follow the link in the post you quoted. LOL

Not that PIN, the PIN you can get from the FEDs if you keep getting delayed. Some "Voluntary" program, I'll have to look it up for you.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't have to look it up for you, follow the link in the post you quoted. LOL
FU.

Just kidding.

Wrong pin. Issuing town gives pin for when a finger print scanner in not available.

Pin referenced here is a fed upin meant to avoid delays due to common name issues etc...

My innynet skills suck, shoot me.

Didn't mean to jam the thread up. Sorry OP.

Is it a matter of once delayed, always delayed? My husband's first purchase was delayed, not very common name so should we expect this in the future? Our gun shop owner said sometimes it'll clear itself up after a few transactions. But seeing as his LTC was 'lost in the mail', then declared lost/stolen to the FRB, then reissued, we kinda expected a delay. Par for the course.

Is it a matter of once delayed, always delayed? My husband's first purchase was delayed, not very common name so should we expect this in the future? Our gun shop owner said sometimes it'll clear itself up after a few transactions. But seeing as his LTC was 'lost in the mail', then declared lost/stolen to the FRB, then reissued, we kinda expected a delay. Par for the course.

Call the NICS in west virginia and get them to send you the forms for a UPIN number. With a future purchase, enter that and you are basically pre cleared by the FBI. They will look up your UPIN and clear you in minutes. That's what they told me anyway. I sent my form in a few weeks ago, so we'll see how it goes next time. The delay is an PITA. I hope they scap the NICS someday but until then, hopefully a UPIN will prevent a future delay. I really got it for purchases out of state. If I buy on a trip to another state, I don't want to go back for the gun or pay for the shipping and transfer if it's not a handgun.

Where can you get fingerprinted for the UPIN? My local PD does their fingerprints electronically now so that won't work.

6 months. Sigh. Is it possible to obtain one without ever being delayed? Sounds like something smart to do proactively.

Delays only happen to certain people. I get delayed every time. I also have a record though. And share a name with my father who it's a multiple felon. file for a uPin, wait it out, shop close to home in the mean time

I received my license a month ago and have had no delays in any of the purchases. But it sounds like the UPIN is beneficial for out of state purchases as well.

Most or all of the PD's should have ink pads to do the prints too. If the gov't ran like a business, the FBI NICS would have a system in place to accept the electronic prints. But they are all idiots so prints are done like it's 1952. My PD charges $5 for the prints, or I was told. I went for the prints, the supervisor who did my prints didn't ask for money so I thanked him and walked.

I just put my UPIN paperwork in a few weeks ago. I was told they were 3 or 4 months out. They were 6 in January but they said the number of applications has slowed since the peak in January and they have cut the wait time a bit. But it's still a wait. They also told me to put other info on the form if applicable and that would speed up the process. So if you have an arrest for x and it was dismissed or continued without a finding, etc. put down the dockett number and court office to contact. I also put down my LTC # in MA who the licensing officer in my town is and number.

I made my first purchase yesterday. Took all of 20 minutes and I was out the door with my new bodyguard 380. No delay.

I don't think you need to be delayed to get a UPIN. I made one purchase, and I was delayed. I may not get delayed again but I don't want to deal with it again. It's a PITA. I visit family and friends in other states and I just don't want the possibility of a delay.

After the CT shooting, the number of sales were very high. The FBI NICS was swamped. If they are swamped, they might delay many more because they don't have the time to check at that time because there are so many sales and few NICS people. There isn't a cost to it, except the stamp. So I'd do it and then you don't have to risk a delay.

Went to purchase my first firearm yesterday, and got delayed. Should I be worried? They said it will take 3 days for then to hear back. Has anyone ever been denied for any reason?

FWIW, I was denied for a purchase in February when I was at Four Seasons. I appealed, and last week the FBI was kind enough to send a 'It's not you, it's us' letter, and I was told that I could thank .gov for the 5 month delay and now, finally, complete my transaction.

They suck.

Apply for a UPIN

Back
Top Bottom