• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

First Gun Help...Please

I'm looking to purchase my first gun. I've been shooting for about 8 years with a couple of friends who are glock fanatics (both are cops). I've been renting on my own at places to try other things out. This weapon will be for defense and concealed carry. I've been looking at 9mm pistols and really liked the s&w 6906. I've seen a few used at good prices. Another gun broker I was talking to said that for a first gun I should buy something new (warranty, not somebody else's old gun, etc...) and showed me a s&w M&P. The M&P is definately a sweet machine. The real question is should I really go new (more money)? What about the 2 choices above (6906 & m&p)? Should I stick with a glock because I've shot them the most (the're nice but I've never been blown away)? The gun I've shot and liked the most has been a H&K USP Special (in .40) but I'm not ready to pony up that much cash... yet. Thanks in advance for all who take the time to help a guy out.

Prop

A good used gun is often a superb value, especially since, being your first gun, you may decide you prefer something else. With the money you save over buying new, you buy LOTS of ammo and get what your really need: Practice..

I wasn't all that enamored of my Glock and no longer own it. If you like the fit and feel, consider the M&P.

You'll have the joy of a new gun with a lifetime warranty, the "first on the block" thrill and a solid firearm.

Hint: Swap out the "Mass. trigger" and put in a GOOD one!

The m&p is striker fired like a glock but with a 10lbs trigger pull but like Scrivener said change out the trigger. The 6906 is a sa/da trigger and is a all stainless gun.

The m&p is striker fired like a glock but with a 10lbs trigger pull but like Scrivener said change out the trigger. The 6906 is a sa/da trigger and is a all stainless gun.

Actually, the 6906 has an aluminum frame, which I think makes it more
pleasant to carry. They are *very* cheap on the used market which
may be a factor.

TRY both of them and then make a decision based on what YOU LIKE and shoot best!!

New v. Used: No difference wrt warranty for S&W or Glock. BOTH companies will warranty for the life of the gun, no matter how many people owned it before you. If a gun was treated well by the owner (not used as a hammer), used is fine.

Welcome to the forum!

From someone who JUST (as in Yesterday) bought his first gun, I talked to tons of people at the range and the stores and the one thing that everyone said in common was to buy what feels right for you. Each person had a different favorite that they liked and knew it the first time they picked it up and shot it. So, I was trying everything that the range had and even drove an hour to another range to try what they had. I had the intention of getting the M&P based on reading so many good things, but for me it just didn't feel perfect.

I decided on new just because I wanted something new, but that was just something in my head that says new is better. I probably should have bought used as the last few people had suggested to save money.

In the end, I purchased a Sig P226 in 40.

Sig's are great - very nice choice.

As to the new and used-- I liked new when I first got into shooting because it was "new" and I could know the history of the firearm from day 1.
I soon realized the immediate cost difference and if your getting it from a quality gun shop you can expect it to function as "new". Just something to keep in mind as your wallet will soon thank you for considering the "used" as your collection grows.

In the long run it won't matter what you buy because your going to end up buying more than one any way.

In 20 years your going to have a safe full of guns that you rarely shoot but can't bear parting with.

Good point about buying more then one. The wife was surprised I only came home with one gun yesterday.

The one thing that was keeping me from making the purchase was that I was afraid of picking wrong and would be unhappy. It took me awhile to realize, "Hey I can sell this gun if I don't like it. It doesn't have to stay with me for the rest of my life."

Prop - let me echo what others are saying: Go with what feels right in your hands.

Many years ago I was putting money down on a Colt series 80. I was in making a payment when I saw the UGLIEST gun I'd ever seen in the case. (this was before I'd ever seen a GLOCK, of course). I asked to see it (turns out it was a Ruger P90). It fitted my hand like Excalibur fitted King Arthur's hand - I bought it immediately. Never did get the Colt. But I still have that Ruger in my safe...

Over time your tastes may change, and if they do, you can sell whatever you buy or just leave it in your safe. But go with your instincts; otherwise you'll be second-guessing yourself for years.

Thanks for all of the advice! I've stopped in to see Mike at Tite Group a couple of times. He's got alot of knowledge. I also go to Boston Gun Range in Worcester a few times a month. It's expensive to rent there but Bill (the GM) is a good guy and has helped my technique a bunch. They don't sell too much there (maybe 7 pistols on display) but the prices are always very good and they all look to be in good shape. The stuff at American Firearms School just feels overprice (I go there afterwork sometimes) and I'll NEVER go to The Gun Room again because of experience and all the additional stuff I've read on the board. I should be getting my LTC in a week or 2 so I'll have to see what's available then. You know I won't be able to wait once I pick my ltc up. I'l definatly post what I get.

If you're as far down as AFS, you're probably driving by Northeast Trading (or easily could be). NET has a large handgun inventory for you to check out, new and used.

You ought to swing by when you're down that way.

Northeast Trading is five minutes from AFS. Check it out, like Scrivener said.

I would implore you to consider a wheelgun while deciding.

i just read the latest issue of gun tests and they graded the s&w m&p with a D the gun failed 70% of the time cambering the last round in the mag.

Back
Top Bottom