• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

First Gun for IDPA, concealed carry, etc.....

So many choices out there for a good first weapon, so advice on my ramblings is appreciated. I should note to stop the inevitable that I can't afford multiple right now, so only one choice for me. Here are my wants/needs:

I have relatively large hands, and don't like for my pinkie to fall of the bottom of the gun (bye M&Pc, shield, P250 is close). I want to be able to conceal carry, although being honest I won't be doing this much until I feel I am a much more proficient shooter, so I could probably buy something new when it is time. I would also like to be able to reasonably compete in IDPA with the gun after getting in some range time with it. Don't need to be a champion, that would take more hours than I have, but would like to be able to compete. I don't like the feel of my girlfriend's G19, can't explain it, just don't...

I was heavily leaning toward a SR9c as it is one of the few compacts that fit my hand well. Reviews of it here seem great too. This seemed like a gun that would do well at the range, could be concealed carry, and be reliable for a relative newby. Plus, inexpensive by comparison. I don't know if this will work well for IDPA due to its small size, and if it would get to be a bear at the range for the same reason.

What feels even better in hand is the M&P9, which feels about perfect. It is reasonably priced, especially in the kit, and just seems to fit me. With a trigger job (needed from what I read here), it should do well in IDPA. It would be difficult to conceal carry though. I am a pretty big guy, so maybe I could conceal with a comp-tac IWB???

So, advice would be appreciated on this one.

So many choices out there for a good first weapon, so advice on my ramblings is appreciated. I should note to stop the inevitable that I can't afford multiple right now, so only one choice for me. Here are my wants/needs:

I have relatively large hands, and don't like for my pinkie to fall of the bottom of the gun (bye M&Pc, shield, P250 is close). I want to be able to conceal carry, although being honest I won't be doing this much until I feel I am a much more proficient shooter, so I could probably buy something new when it is time. I would also like to be able to reasonably compete in IDPA with the gun after getting in some range time with it. Don't need to be a champion, that would take more hours than I have, but would like to be able to compete. I don't like the feel of my girlfriend's G19, can't explain it, just don't...

I was heavily leaning toward a SR9c as it is one of the few compacts that fit my hand well. Reviews of it here seem great too. This seemed like a gun that would do well at the range, could be concealed carry, and be reliable for a relative newby. Plus, inexpensive by comparison. I don't know if this will work well for IDPA due to its small size, and if it would get to be a bear at the range for the same reason.

What feels even better in hand is the M&P9, which feels about perfect. It is reasonably priced, especially in the kit, and just seems to fit me. With a trigger job (needed from what I read here), it should do well in IDPA. It would be difficult to conceal carry though. I am a pretty big guy, so maybe I could conceal with a comp-tac IWB???

So, advice would be appreciated on this one.

A full-size (like the M&P 9) is a good choice for IDPA/USPSA competition, but as you say it is more difficult to conceal. It is by no means impossible, but you will have to "dress around" it more. A compact (like the SR9C) is easier to conceal, but is less ideal for competition. Again, it's not impossible to compete with it, but it's not the best tool for the job, so to speak.

You're better off deciding which is a higher priority for you right now - competition or concealed carry - and making your buying decision based on what will work best for that priority. Then, later on you can get something that works well for the other purpose.

I have realized over the years that, atleast for me, it is more important that i shoot a gun well than rather than how it feels in my hand. For example i shot, exclusively, the M&P9 for years, 20K + rounds through it. Loved they way it felt and shot it well. I too hated the feel of a the Glock 19 and the look but after putting some rounds through a Gen 4 19 i was even more accurate than my M&P and i dropped my splits from a .21-.23 average down to .18 maintaining the same accuracy. I now shoot the 19 exclusively. I'd rent for a bit and see what you shoot well that feels comfortable. Just some food for thought on gun choices.

In regards to the concealabilty body type does make a difference and again it is somewhat of an experiment you need to run through as well. i can conceal a G19 well with an IWB and i have a little extra weight in the mid section at 5'8" 185#. A G19 is also an excellent "starter" IDPA gun, see alot at club level shoots, as well as the 17.

bottom line is rent a few guns, see what you shoot well and go from there. just my $0.02, hope it helps.

My opinion? I bought an m&p 9c for concealed carry. I'm doing some work on it, new sights, trigger job, talon grips. Concealed carry is its primary purpose. I shoot IDPA to get more proficient with it as its setup in my edc. I shoot with my iwb holster, and remora iwb magazine pouches. If a gun is to be dual purpose, concealed carry should be the weighted factor in choosing, and Idpa just a chance to tweak your edc setup. Forget the sport aspect. Practicality is paramount.

I agree with 5-0. If your foreseeable future only contemplates one purchase, buy a decent carry gun and use it to shoot IDPA. My first purchase was a carry gun, a S&W 3913 (single stack 9mm). I started shooting IDPA with it soon after I got it. It isn't the best IDPA gun, primarily because of the 8-round mags and the mag disconnect was annoying. But it worked and I did OK with it. After a few months I had enough funds to buy a larger gun, and I went with the M&P9. I've been shooting it for IDPA for over a year now. My next purchase will likely be an M&P Shield for carry. I like the idea of similar platforms for carry and competition, even it if isn't the same gun. I haven't shot enough Glocks to have a strong opinion about them, but if you can get around your dislike of the way the G19 feels, that would be a decent balance between the two.

my view after many glocks is this: get a full size one for IDPA then the a mini version for carry. no point in comprise. both are similar enough to carry over.

Sig P229 is a midsize frame with a fullsize grip, reliable shooter, easy to conceal with the right holster and is super accurate. I carried a 229 everyday for a long time in a Crossbreed Supertuck holster. I also carry a Glock 27 because it is very compact, but it is nowhere near as accurate as the 229.

Have you tried the M&P9c with the mags that have the pinky extension?

+1 THIS.

I have both the M&P 9MM and the M&P 9c. Started out with the 9c wanting to get into IDPA also. Then picked up the M&P 9 for the longer sights.

Now I love the fact that I can carry my M&P 9c with the M&P 9 magazines. Gives me longer grip for pinky finger with the shorter length frame, by using the X-Grip mentionad above. Best of both worlds for carry for me.

http://x-grips.com/products/smithwesson-mp/

For IDPA I use the full size M&P 9.

The Ruger is also a great gun if you do not like the S&W, and as stated above Glock is a good choice for some.

I use a full size M&P .40 for both carry and competition. I'm a big guy too and use an IWB and usually wear a casual button down shirt, untucked. Never had a problem printing or otherwise.... that I know of. It's like anything though, trial and error, see what works best for you.

The real issue here is that your girlfriend seems to have more guns than you at this point. [smile]
Welcome to the forum!

+1 THIS.

I have both the M&P 9MM and the M&P 9c. Started out with the 9c wanting to get into IDPA also. Then picked up the M&P 9 for the longer sights.

Now I love the fact that I can carry my M&P 9c with the M&P 9 magazines. Gives me longer grip for pinky finger with the shorter length frame, by using the X-Grip mentionad above. Best of both worlds for carry for me.

The Ruger is also a great gun if you do not like the S&W, and as stated above Glock is a good choice for some.

Are X-Grips legal in Massachusetts or do they violate the AWB since they seem to up the mag round count beyond 10?

Are X-Grips legal in Massachusetts or do they violate the AWB since they seem to up the mag round count beyond 10?

It doesn't up the round count, it just allows a full sized mag to be used in a compact gun. The mass full size mags use the same 10 round upper tube as the compacts, they just have a plastic insert to fill up the rest of the space in the full size grip.

Here's a regular full size mag and a mass compliant full size mag

Attachments

• image-4177753573.png
    image-4177753573.png
    4.7 KB · Views: 31
  • image-1558117419.png
    image-1558117419.png
    6.9 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
It doesn't up the round count, it just allows a full sized mag to be used in a compact gun. The mass full size mags use the same 10 round upper tube as the compacts, they just have a plastic insert to fill up the rest of the space in the full size grip.

Here's a regular full size mag and a mass compliant full size mag

On the website for the product it says:

"The XGRIP M&P is a NEW magazine adapter offered by FDI for the S&W M&P compact. The XGRIP M&P enhances the versatility, look, and feel of the gun while increasing the capacity by 5 additional rounds of ammunition."

On the website for the product it says:

"The XGRIP M&P is a NEW magazine adapter offered by FDI for the S&W M&P compact. The XGRIP M&P enhances the versatility, look, and feel of the gun while increasing the capacity by 5 additional rounds of ammunition."

They're comparing the capacity of the regular, non-crippled full size mags (17 rounds) to the regular, non-crippled compact mags (12 rounds). By putting a full size mag in a compact gun, you're getting an "increased capacity" of 5 rounds. For those of us with 10-rounders, there is no capacity difference between the compact and full size mags. The mag itself is not changed by the X grip, it's just a sheath that goes around the mag body.

+1 THIS.

The M&Pc should come with two magazines, one with a flat baseplate, and one with a finger rest that extends the front of the handgrip about an inch. With the finger rest the compact mags are still a little bit shorter than the full size mags.

Thanks for all the opinions. Im trying something new tonight... The GF really loves the BG380, but doesn't want to outlay the cash for it. We are travelling up to the MFL for me to actually fire her G19. It doesn't feel that great in my hand, but it's worth a try. If I like it, we will transfer the G19 to me, and I'll give her the cash for a BG380. It's a roughly even trade.

Glock 19 to start. If you get serious about IDPA and you are a gamer, you may end up getting a Glock 34 for competition.

Sounds like you got the right plan of action giving the 19 another go around.
I would suggest the 17 or 19 for either purpose you go with and you should not be disappointed.

This may be a bit late, but have you tried the Ruger LC9 for carry and a glock 19 for IDPA?
The LC9 has a tail on the mag and fits my large hands nicely.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom