• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

First gun for carry and Target

A shield, and here is why:

1) If you do actually plan to carry, this will be a good first gun to do so with.

2) If you are anything like the rest of us, you will buy your second gun so soon after that, you can just get a full sized "target" gun.

I had the same line of thinking, but you dont want to target shoot with a shield, and you would want to carry something full sized in June T-shirt weather. Get a G19, P229, or VP9 as a second gun. Something more capable at the range to help you get more comfortable with making the right holes on the paper.

Try (shoot) a number of pistols before you make your choice.

Take it from me, this is what to do if possible.

I agree with the recommendations on the Shield and the LC9s, I owned both.
But, I bought a Kahr P9, clean lines like a Glock, size comparison to the Shield and G43. I shoot this gun with more accuracy than I ever did with the Shield. I've also fired a G43 a couple of times. With practice, you will become better with the gun you choose.

Last edited:
It mightbe a bit of a drive, but your best bet is to go to American Firearms School in Attleboro Mass. there, you can rent and shoot a myriad of calibers and platforms, from Glock26 to Glock34 to 1911's to all the Sigs you could shake a stick at. It is far cheaper and easier to invest a couple hundred on range rentals and selecting the exact model pistol you want than to be constantly buying and selling.

that said if you want one pistol to do it all, Glock 19 is a great gun all around.

After more thought, since you are a new shooter I wouldn't get a high end gun as your first because you have no idea what you like and shoot well. After you've been shooting a while you may not like that first gun. Will a slim single stack subcompact get lost in your monster hands, or will a chubby double-stack grip be too big for your little hands? You might be accurate with a gritty 10lb trigger or you may like a crisp single action (with a safety)? You need to adjust your wardrobe a little for carrying. Being skinny or fat, dress well or in t-shirts and sweat shirts will have you leaning towards a smaller gun or being fine with a bigger one. So, get something "middle of the road", get shooting, have fun, learn and adjust from there. But this first pistol won't be your last.

Another vote for the Shield in 9mm.

Magazines are cheap, as is the 9mm cartridge.
Think six or more magazines.

If you want a little higher capacity Hyve and others make 10 round extensions that work well. There is also MagGuts spring kits that do the same.

I would budget for an Apex Duty/Carry kit. If you can stand the MA 10lb. gritty trigger than great you just saved yourself $75.00.
A free state model would be ideal!

I would install a set if Talon grips in rubber material. Their granite is like skateboard grip tape and may cause skin loss while carrying on a belt.

This pistol is small enough that you can easily carry it all year long.
The more you carry it the more comfortable you will be doing so and have a better chance of having it on you should a need arise!

It really is a great pistol. Made right here in MA by a great company!

It is easy to shoot well with and you can get it with a thumb safety if you so desire.

Not to mention the $75.00 rebate!

Last edited:
Try (shoot) a number of pistols before you make your choice.
This ^^^^^^^pistols are like shoes if your an 11 every 11 is going to fit on your foot mostly but the correct shoe fits perfectly. You're (hopefully) going to be spending a lot of time together, and maybe someday rely on your firearm to save your life. Every advantage increases your accuracy both on the range and in the field. Weight, and feel both single handed and supported are factors as is carry on your person. Some profiles are wider dimensions larger. There's a lot of factors involved. Everyone can give you advice, don't get caught up on gimmicks or brands or even semi vs revolver. A good example of a tried and true product (though not a pistol just an example point) is the Remington 870 shotgun, been to war, used by PD's forever, not fancy, reliable, priced fairly cheap. Solid history, solid performance. But if you asked the audience you here people start saying things like buy the KSG because its new and cool etc. The point is it has to work for you. Final note as a rule if there is black tape on handle don't buy it (that's a bad sign). Now go buy some guns!

Sent from my SM-G928P using Tapatalk

i dislike threads like this, a bunch of people screaming "get this, get that." my head spins and i've been shooting 45 years. this guys criteria was simple, first gun...wants a range and carry gun. to all you folks pointing to a 9mm shield, since when is a 9mm shield a range gun? i'm not suggesting any one gun but i think he's on the right track with the p320. i'm likin' that modular stuff more and more.

bassmedic46, for the hell of it, make a post here on nes asking if anyone with a 320 would meet you and let you shoot it. chances are they probably have a 9mm shield also. [wink]

No love here for the Ruger LC9s? Absolutely great gun. Very similar in size and features to the Shield. And no one makes a trigger kit for it because there's no point. The LC9s has a great trigger right from the factory.
{The "s" stands for striker fired, as opposed to the hammer fired one.}

I have to agree with Bob, I have used my LC9s both as a carry and range gun. It does very well for both.

Take it from me, this is what to do if possible.

I agree with the recommendations on the Shield and the LC9s, I owned both.
But, I bought a Kahr P9, clean lines like a Glock, size comparison to the Shield and G43. I shoot this gun with more accuracy than I ever did with the Shield. I've also fired a G43 a couple of times. With practice, you will become better with the gun you choose.

Try not only different pistols, but revolvers too. I am surprised that nobody recommended the Ruger LCR or S&W for their reliability and comfortable carry. One HUGE factor is that 9mm ammo is half the cost, or even less, than any others. See if you can find someone locally with a Ruger LCR in 9mm to try out.
Try, at the least, dry firing everything to check out the trigger. In MA, the Canik, H K and Kahr have good triggers, the LC9s trigger is better than the original LC9. The S&W pistols all pretty much need replacement triggers.

I'm looking for suggestions on a first gun. Looking for a gun that I can carry concealed and use for targets. Would a sig P320 be good for a beginner?

The Sig P320, can't go wrong with that. Also, Athol isn't like Boston. Don't worry about a larger pistol or revolver "printing" (showing its outline through your clothes). People just don't notice and/or don't care.
If you are using your carry gun for target shooting, get the LARGEST gun you will comfortably carry.
IMPORTANT - budget the money to BUY A REAL LEATHER GUN BELT if you are going to carry concealed

since they didn't have the VP9SK when i got my compact, i picked up the PPS. i've shot the shield before but it wasn't for me. I am very happy with the PPS, nice size. fits my hands well, and good trigger.

to all you folks pointing to a 9mm shield, since when is a 9mm shield a range gun? i'm not suggesting any one gun but i think he's on the right track with the p320.
Totally agree that the P320c is the best striker gun out there. However, when I switched from double-stack to single-stack for CC, the difference was night and day. As far as target shooting goes, the Shield is very accurate for a 3" barrel. The dot sights are big, the grip is ergonomic, and aftermarket support (trigger, mags, sights, holsters, etc.) is huge. To top it off, the price point is extremely attractive given the rebate on an already affordable gun.

Try not only different pistols, but revolvers too. I am surprised that nobody recommended the Ruger LCR or S&W for their reliability and comfortable carry. One HUGE factor is that 9mm ammo is half the cost, or even less, than any others. See if you can find someone locally with a Ruger LCR in 9mm to try out.
Try, at the least, dry firing everything to check out the trigger. In MA, the Canik, H K and Kahr have good triggers, the LC9s trigger is better than the original LC9. The S&W pistols all pretty much need replacement triggers.
A snub nose revolver isn't a great first gun given that it is optimized for carry which brings out a lot for traits that make it more difficult to shoot well at the range for long sessions.

I carry an LCR and love it but if I wouldn't suggest it as a first do all gun.

Getting a larger more neutral option and a great holster and belt will be better than getting frustrated doing the "learning to shoot well" with a snub revolver​.

My 1911 in a good holster is only slightly more cumbersome to carry than the LCR iwb. So a mid compact 9 would be nice. Can always work up to a pocket size gun for a second gun ....

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I know it's not a popular answer but buy a Smith & Wesson Sigma. It's got a long enough barrel for target shooting it's cheap enough that you won't mind messing it up cuz you don't know any better. They are a little big for some people carry but if you can it's fine

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I carry an LCR and love it but if I wouldn't suggest it as a first do all gun.
+1. LCRs are great pocket guns and are fun to shoot, but definitely not for beginners. The grip is angled and no pinky room, single dot sight, big recoil (although I love it!), and the trigger is pretty heavy.

The Sig P320, can't go wrong with that. Also, Athol isn't like Boston. Don't worry about a larger pistol or revolver "printing" (showing its outline through your clothes). People just don't notice and/or don't care.
If you are using your carry gun for target shooting, get the LARGEST gun you will comfortably carry.
IMPORTANT - budget the money to BUY A REAL LEATHER GUN BELT if you are going to carry concealed

I can't agree more with the belt recommendation, the belt should be holding up the gun, not your pants. A cheap belt makes it harder to conceal and far less comfortable.

It's worth the wait. First time you are in a gun shop where you can buy a firearm legally you'll be a like a kid in a candy store. Hide your CC because once your eyes get all ougly mougly the final receipt can be downright painful to look at.

"Kid in a candy store is right" I'm on #3 and I'm already trying to figure out what I want for #4-27, God help me when I finally move to a free state and don't have to go hunting for all the pistols I want. Bassmedic46 if you get fully bit by the gun bug, enjoy it, its a hell of alotta fun. [smile]

"Kid in a candy store is right" I'm on #3 and I'm already trying to figure out what I want for #4-27, God help me when I finally move to a free state and don't have to go hunting for all the pistols I want. Bassmedic46 if you get fully bit by the gun bug, enjoy it, its a hell of alotta fun. [smile]

Agree. I have 2 lists. The have and the want.

I just started late late last year and I've already exhausted all my EFA10s because I thought I had "the gun" 3 times ( G19, M&P, and just recently a P238). Every time I go for ammo or something I hold something and say this is it, sell something, and then waffle. It's a viscous cycle.

I just picked up a Shield (the price after the rebate can't be beat) and I have my G17, but I'm not loving it. The Shield feels nice, cant say it's a range gun but you do need to practice with it, so technically...

I'm currently looking for "the gun" again.

Agree. I have 2 lists. The have and the want.

I just started late late last year and I've already exhausted all my EFA10s because I thought I had "the gun" 3 times ( G19, M&P, and just recently a P238). Every time I go for ammo or something I hold something and say this is it, sell something, and then waffle. It's a viscous cycle.

I just picked up a Shield (the price after the rebate can't be beat) and I have my G17, but I'm not loving it. The Shield feels nice, cant say it's a range gun but you do need to practice with it, so technically...

I'm currently looking for "the gun" again.

How is the P238? The collectors gallery has an equinox model that caught my eye. They take +P right?

I'd throw the M&P 9C into the ring as well.
Once I got the trigger done on mine it became a different gun. Not that much more difficult to carry than a shield
(I rotate my carry between these 2 regularly) and you can get a full size mag with a sleeve on it and
have a ball at the range. IMO much easier to shoot than a shield, better capacity (without having to go Magguts or Hyve
which I have both :) ) bigger than a shield smaller than a G19 and much smaller than a P320C
and shoots very soft for it's size.

honorable mention for VP9 as well. Very easy to shoot and I believe just about the same size as the P320

How is the P238? The collectors gallery has an equinox model that caught my eye. They take +P right?

Not sure on the +P.

I loved it, felt awesome, shot great for a 380. I could seriously just sit there and put rounds through it all day, I liked it that much.

A guy at work said he was in the market for one. I've had the 357 revolver bug and 1911 bug for a little while. The gears started turning and next thing I know we are in the server room at work filling out an EFA10. It was the expendable one in the safe to put the cash towards the next one.

full

Dragoon. All day, every day...

Back
Top Bottom