• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

First gun for carry and Target

A friend of mine just got Shield with that rebate. It only cost him $280 or so after that. I shot it last weekend and it shoots great.

I thought Target was gun free?

Another vote for LC9s. Good accuracy for target practice and great for carry. IWB for normal and pocket carry when I can't carry a gun but there is no metal detector.

I guess the Shield is ok, but I got really soured by S&W with the really shitty customer service when my Bodyguard broke, so I can't recommend it. But this is the internet, so Eff Smith!

Not sure on the +P.

I loved it, felt awesome, shot great for a 380. I could seriously just sit there and put rounds through it all day, I liked it that much.

A guy at work said he was in the market for one. I've had the 357 revolver bug and 1911 bug for a little while. The gears started turning and next thing I know we are in the server room at work filling out an EFA10. It was the expendable one in the safe to put the cash towards the next one.

Thats good to hear, I really like Sig's 2/938's, they feel really nice and are concealable. I might wait till I can find a SAS 938 through I just love the look of them and 9mm is cheap. My first gun was (and still is) a 1911, they are so much fun to shoot, my buddy who helped get me my license is a steel competition guy so I got to try out a bunch of 1911's (and then fell in love).
To keep this relatively on top for the thread, Bassmedic, if you want a really nice target gun 1911's are hard to beat. They are accurate, shoot nice and come in plenty of sizes, types and calibers. Fair warning: becoming a 1911 nut gets really expensive fast.

Well for me if it's one gun for carry and target shooting I will take my SW 1911.
With that said I dress to conceal a 1911 everyday I don't wear shorts or T shirts out and about much.
I don't like small guns they just don't fit my hand well. I have short stubby hands and although it sounds funny small guns don't fit well.
Now for target shooting at the range I like to shoot cmp service pistol type shooting.

As many say though trying to get a gun to cover a lot of different situations is tough.

If I where to start over I would get a hammer less 357 revolver for carry and a nice 22lr or 38spl target revolver.
In the end you will probably find your first gun to be love or hate.
I carried a 1911 first for several years. Then I got my hands on a double stack 4013... I'm not a 40 fan but this gun just fits my hand naturally and points more natural than my 1911?
If I don't want to lug any weight I grab my SW air weight in 38spl

I'm new to shooting and have only fired a gun when I took my gun safety course. I'm thinking of going to the mass firearm academy in Holliston for lessons and to shoot a few types of guns.

I'm new to shooting and have only fired a gun when I took my gun safety course. I'm thinking of going to the mass firearm academy in Holliston for lessons and to shoot a few types of guns.

Tell 'em NES sent ya... [wink]

Great idea for sure, another place you can try is OG Bob's in Sudbury, nothing fancy there but you can rent all kinds of toys. From .22 Ruger Mark 4's all the up to 500 SW. I don't know what MFA has to rent but I'm sure its good.

I will, is it worth doing a membership there?

As a new shooter, yes, because you should take a few good classes. It is your duty if you intend to carry for protection.
Lives are in the balance and you want to keep yours...

BTW. Your handle looks good in GREEN. Welcome to NES. The shooting man's Premier Forum.
~Matt

I picked up a p320c as my first gun. The appeal was the conversion kits. Plus it felt great in my hand. Unfortunately I didn't do the homework and didn't realize they don't sell all the MA compliant conversion kits (at least not anything other than the compact size) but you can go 40 or 357 in the compact. I know, you can make a free state version work, but it's not like you can just order a different size from Sig, and they told me you won't see one available till closer to the end of the year. I could have found a free state version, but it was my first gun and I didn't really know any better because I had not spent the hours on forums that I have by this point ;)

I've put over 3k rounds through the p320c. Still love to shoot it, but I got better accuracy once I changed the trigger to a PELT trigger. That was really frustrating. The old trigger would just make my hand do something that no other guns I tried would do, no matter what I did to correct it. Love shooting it now. I ended up getting a 229 40 cal and it's just a better gun to shoot at the range. If you can afford a 226 or 229, you won't be disappointed for your first gun. I'd say the 229 is a better for carry and target over the p320c if you can swing the extra weight. I'm getting a p320 full sized rx to be my target/range gun now. Not sure if I keep the p320c or sell it. I don't carry so I'm not sure if I'll still use it.

My 2 cents, I feel like I was in your same situation a fewmonths ago. Good luck your first gun purchase!

+1 on finding a place where you can try out different guns. I think you're already going this route but wanted to reiterate it. What people are suggesting may be great for them and might not work out so well for you. Figure out which guns you like and then do some more research on them before pulling the trigger [wink] Have fun with the process and be safe! [mg]

As a new shooter, yes, because you should take a few good classes. It is your duty if you intend to carry for protection.
Lives are in the balance and you want to keep yours...

BTW. Your handle looks good in GREEN. Welcome to NES. The shooting man's Premier Forum.
~Matt

What classes and where would you recommend? I was looking at Len's Classes but I'm curious what is also recommended for defensive pistol shooting.

I will, is it worth doing a membership there?
Check Groupon for membership deals there. I got a 4 month membership for $40 at one point. Included all range time and free rentals plus one guest. Wi-Fi went and tried and every 9 mm that they had before we bought our first guns.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Don't forget there are plenty of places in Rhode Island that have rental ranges to. Midstate in Coventry Rhode Island seemed ever pretty good collection but not sure about their rates

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Don't forget there are plenty of places in Rhode Island that have rental ranges to. Midstate in Coventry Rhode Island seemed ever pretty good collection but not sure about their rates

I'm not sure there are "plenty of places" with rental ranges in RI. Midstate is the only one I've been to, and they've got a good rental selection and reasonable prices. There was another one that was supposed to open last year, not sure if it got off the ground.

I'm not sure there are "plenty of places" with rental ranges in RI. Midstate is the only one I've been to, and they've got a good rental selection and reasonable prices. There was another one that was supposed to open last year, not sure if it got off the ground.
There is also Pine Ridge near Kingston and I've been told there is some place else out in the boonies or I should say more out in the boonies

Very good idea. Welcome to the group here. Buy what feels good in your hands, and you can shoot well over time.

Walther P22 is nice if you're ok with carrying a .22 for self defense
Would rather carry a second knife
Or a .41cal Derringer...Or pepper spray... Or a...(etc).
I mean, I'm FAR from being a firearms "expert" or a "self defense trainer", but.. I work in downtown Boston - and that's considered a "good, low crime town" blah blah...I can only imagine downtown Springfield (been there) or (etc)... and these days?
Some of the meth (and other chemical) heads seem to be so effin jacked up on some sort of "fuel" that I can only imagine how many "well placed shots" of .22 it would take to put down one of the deranged, drugged-out, enraged, wild animals staggering around South Station after nightfall (or before it, for that matter)...

All sarcasm aside, you look at some of these f*ckers with wide eyeballs/pupils the size of quarters and you seriously wonder if all seven rounds of 9mm HST from the G43 in your pocket would be "sufficient". Half of the "citizens" lurking the area seem like they're either Zombies, or they're lit up like the friggin Citgo sign.. and you honestly find yourself wondering if they'd even FEEL the first (or any) rounds as they're hitting them...

Just sayin'

Last edited:
What classes and where would you recommend? I was looking at Len's Classes but I'm curious what is also recommended for defensive pistol shooting.

Sorry for the tardy reply. I think GOAL classes are a great way to start. They are geared to new shooters and the trainers don't start off by measuring you for a DragonSkin vest.
The Art of Concealed Cary in Massachusetts would be a good start (it is a non-shooting class, but will give you valuable info on carry in Mass)
Also, you should think of joining GOAL. Not just because of the major class discounts for members but for the important work they do for us. Also Comm2A and NRA.
Laws don't get changed or protected with "hopes".

Len will teach you all you need to know. Great guy who will give you No-BS training, not the flowery ninja stuff.

Welcome to NES and enjoy the ride!
~Matt

Last edited:
If hudson nh isnt too far from you, i would go to granite state inddor range. Their rental policy is great in that you pay to rent once as long as you stay in the same caliber. I believe handgun rental is $15. So if you go rent a glock 19 you can shoot it, bring it back out to the counter, switch to a 9mm shield then to a 9mm sig then to an M&P in 9. All for the one flat rental rate. Of course you have to buy their range ammo to shoot through the rentals. I dont work there or anything i just wish i had that option when i was trying out rentals before i bought my first gun.

Keep in mind though that their rentals will likely have free state triggers and such. Meaning your Mass approved gun will likely be crappier than what you shoot there. But you can still get a feel for the grip and size differences.

Back
Top Bottom