First gun for a 10 year old

GF's son turns 10 next month. Want to get him a BB / Pellet gun. Suggestions on a reasonably priced first gun?

Thnx

Benjamin .177 or .22 cal. lead pellet gun. Steel BBs ricochet like hell......as Ralphy Parker found out the hard way in "A Christmas Story".

I wanted to say a beater Mosin, but they are too expensive now.

How about a pseudo-rifle like an AR? There are some on sale for as little as 300-400$$ Some come in 9mm. My 6yo nearly bankrupted me by plinking at 100 yards with 556. Kids know when you give them a real deal vs some pneumo-bullshit. You can spend time together, male bonding time, give him some pointers on shooting. Hitting bullseye with a "cemetary" (i.e. military [laugh]) rifle is more satisfying.

The problem with airguns, you still want to exercise good responsibility and judgement, not here you go, now go and play. You can't beat walmart on prices and in your price range, they are not going to be heirloom guns, so don't overthink it.

GF's son turns 10 next month. Want to get him a BB / Pellet gun. Suggestions on a reasonably priced first gun?

Thnx

whats his physical build like. many bb/pelletguns/rifles are all to big for kids.
the daisy 840 is a inexpensive single pump that is accurate enough at 10 meters with pellets to start the training.
if he is larger build and you want a decent accurate skill building platform the daisy 853s offered referbed by the CMP are a great deal. $115 shipped. I recommend the parallel comb model.

if you just want something to blast with the daisy 880 or crosman 760 are ok.
theres always the red ryder

I'd go with a 22 bolt action. My father gave me a pellet gun when I was a kid. I suppose because it wasn't a firearm he let me use it unsupervised, resulting me doing an awful lot of stupid shit with it. It's only thanks to dumb luck that I still have both eyes.

Get him a 22 rifle, and only let him shoot in under supervision until he is old enough to own it.

I'd go with a 22 bolt action. My father gave me a pellet gun when I was a kid. I suppose because it wasn't a firearm he let me use it unsupervised, resulting me doing an awful lot of stupid shit with it. It's only thanks to dumb luck that I still have both eyes.

Get him a 22 rifle, and only let him shoot in under supervision until he is old enough to own it.

Exactly. I've never seen my daughter more tuned in than range days.

Last edited:
Cricket or chipmunk single shot bolt action 22lr, fun little gun. I wouldn't waste the time with the BB or pellet.

this is all fine and dandy if you have a lot of time and a local range to go to IF you can not shoot on your property. The single pump pellet guns i mentioned can be shot indoors. Even in a hallway if you have limited space. Most low velocity target pellet guns can be shot in the average small yard against a nice little back stop. As long as you have decent neighbors anyway.
A pellet gun is a fine way to learn the fundamentals of marksmanship. They are also inexpensive and the ammo is cheap.
If Jr takes to shooting you can up grade at any point.

Also same application here 10 years old whats his build and he will also most likely be growing quickly shortly.

I have the rascal for my kids. decent little gun for smaller kids but honestly the sights suck. I went to a williams aperture rear sight and front globe.

The key is what do you want to just go plinking or actually try to teach him to shoot bulls eyes and small groups.

Last edited:
I still have my Crosman 760 that I bought when I was about 12. That was a long time ago. I still shoot it in my basement from time to time. I also have a Crosman 1377 air pistol that is wicked accurate and is what got me thinking "I should get a real gun". The 1377 is popular with people who like to upgrade everything (like 10/22s).

My first range was a refrigerator box in the attic with a hole cut in the side and a piece of carpet hanging as a backstop. In retrospect the 2x4 that I used to hold the green army men was a bad idea; BBs would bounce back at me. Pellets are more expensive than BBs but don't bounce around as much.

Depends on his build / size.

If you want something to get shooting - a red ryder with wood stock can be cut to fit, something I had to do for my daughter.
Most of the cheapo airguns are built for adults - not fun for kids.

If you go .22 - I would recommend against a Chipmunk / Cricket.
While I still have mine, and my daughter (and soon my son) shoots it, it will be outgrown FAST. This is a toy sized gun. I got mine at age 9, and needed a "real" rifle in about 2 years.
I'd suggest a wood stocked 10/22, get a beater stock and cut it to fit. When he grows into an adult gun, put the original stock back on.
Load and fire one at a time until he gets the feel of shooting, then 2, 3, 5 and a whole mag.

Then stock up on ammo, magazines, sodas, snickers and find an Appleseed (I'm assuming you've got your own 10/22).

I still have my Daisy 88 from when I was about that age.

if you want a .22 I'd lean towards the CZ 455 scout. Even after they out grow it, it's still a fun rifle... and since it's a 455, you can easily swap out the stock for a full size one.

IMG_6919.jpgBought my 8 year old a BB gun when she was 7 just to learn the basic hold and sight alignment, not pointing it unless shooting Etc.. which she does very well now. we can shoot it in the yard and learn when we want and I also place balloons on a 4x4 feet of cardboard to make it fun.I bought a 10/22 a couple months ago for the wifey and will be buying the Savage Rascal soon for now 8 year old daughter. She will learn Irons 1st with it before I scope it.

I agree with others, at 10 your into the right age for a .22 that they will always have.
Unless range time is an issue.
You can get a 10/22 with a youth stock and then upgrade to a regular one later as they grow.

View attachment 210622Bought my 8 year old a BB gun when she was 7 just to learn the basic hold and sight alignment, not pointing it unless shooting Etc.. which she does very well now. we can shoot it in the yard and learn when we want and I also place balloons on a 4x4 feet of cardboard to make it fun.I bought a 10/22 a couple months ago for the wifey and will be buying the Savage Rascal soon for now 8 year old daughter. She will learn Irons 1st with it before I scope it.

the rascal is almost useless with a scope. it sits to high for smaller kids

Cricket or chipmunk single shot bolt action 22lr, fun little gun. I wouldn't waste the time with the BB or pellet.

But you can shoot a bb gun in a small back yard or even in the basement instead of waiting for the adults to take you to the range...

But you can shoot a bb gun in a small back yard or even in the basement instead of waiting for the adults to take you to the range...

exactly. my club is 10 minutes away but at minimum, including cleaning whatever you shot, is 2 hours. if you have 1 or more kids, (i don't) that might put a big dent in daylight hours. op's child is only 10. plenty of time to get into shooting .22's

the rascal is almost useless with a scope. it sits to high for smaller kids
I'm sure after she learns to shoot the Rascal good it will be time to upgrade to the 10/22 with scope so yea I doubt i'll scope the Rascal but to me it doesn't look high.

Attachments

• 5808324_01_savage_rascal_22_youth_rifle_p_640.jpg
    5808324_01_savage_rascal_22_youth_rifle_p_640.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom