• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

First gun -- cleaning questions

So, I bought my first gun today (Ruger MkIII Hunter .22LR) and a cleaning kit and when I got home I realized I didn't even know enough to ask certain questions.

I told the salesclerk that this was my first gun and that I would be needing cleaning supplies. So he added a fairly generic cleaning kit (the "Universal Handgun/Rifle Cleaning Kit" by Kleenbore) to my stack of things getting purchased. I also picked up a small bottle of M-Pro7 because I would much rather use something non-odiferous.

When I got home I opened up the cleaning kit to see how it all worked. I discovered that the box of "patches" actually just had one giant piece of patch material, so presumably I am to cut patches out of it. Which is fine, except I have no idea what size patches to cut! (The gun's manual does not address this). I did do a search here and found a thread that talked about using pre-cut patches specifically for a .22LR gun, but nothing about what size to use when cutting your own. So my first question is what size patch to use? (Ultimately I think I'd just rather buy appropriately-sized pre-cut patches in the future).

I also noticed that the cleaning rod (and the smaller patch holder in the kit) do (obviously) fit in the bore, but they take up most of the diameter of the bore. Is this OK? Instead of a "universal" kit should I get a cleaning rod/patch holder specifically made for .22LR guns? And if so, any recommendations?

Another question is whether or not the gun should be cleaned before I use it for the first time? I read the manual cover-to-cover and it says nothing about "break-in" or any special things to do before using the gun for the first time. And if it should be cleaned, how far? Just an exterior and bore clean? Or field strip and clean everything?

The manual also talks about oiling the gun at times(locations both inside and outside) with a drop or two of oil here and there. For oiling the exterior should I use a clean cloth every time to spread/wipe the drop of oil over the gun? Or is it ok to re-use the cloth for a few times (keeping it in something like a ziploc between uses) before switching to a new one?

Thanks again for any answers!

You got this kit right?

classic_handgun.jpg

lagrangian said:
So my first question is what size patch to use?

About 1 inch by 1 inch for .22

(Ultimately I think I'd just rather buy appropriately-sized pre-cut patches in the future).

Good idea. Short money.

I also noticed that the cleaning rod (and the smaller patch holder in the kit) do (obviously) fit in the bore, but they take up most of the diameter of the bore. Is this OK? Instead of a "universal" kit should I get a cleaning rod/patch holder specifically made for .22LR guns? And if so, any recommendations?

Get a aluminum or some kind of safe cleaning rod (if you're not careful a steel rod could scratch the inside of bore) and a .22LR jag. Here's what they look like...

SAF302.gif

JAG231-h.jpg

Another question is whether or not the gun should be cleaned before I use it for the first time?

Maybe just run a wet patch down the bore followed by a dry one. I've heard diff opinions on this.

When I got my Mach III I went straight to the range.

FYI - Never run a brush down the bore dry. Always a wet patch first. Also, always clean from the breech end.

Check this out for more tips...

http://www.kleen-bore.com/safetytips.html

For oiling the exterior should I use a clean cloth every time to spread/wipe the drop of oil over the gun?

Use the silicone cloth that came with your kit. It's okay to reuse many, many times.

You can just use the oil too, and wipe off with a rag after. If it's a CLP, which is what that kit above has, make sure to shake it up real good.

Good luck putting that Ruger back together. Be patient. It's a great gun, but a real pain to re-assemble.

Check this site out if you need to order Klean Bore stuff...

http://www.pistoleer.com/kleenbore/

Almost that kit. It was a handgun/rifle kit, so it had three more sections of rod. But aside from that it was the same. And the picture reminds me -- what's that little rubber cone thing? Is it to try to keep the rod centered in the bore? And I assume that's what a real jag is -- something to keep the rod centered and away from the inside surface of the barrel?

Yeah, I'm not looking forward to the first re-assembly :? but I bought the gun with my eyes open on that -- I did a bunch of on-line reading about the "fun" of putting it back together :)

lagrangian said:
Almost that kit. It was a handgun/rifle kit, so it had three more sections of rod. But aside from that it was the same. And the picture reminds me -- what's that little rubber cone thing? Is it to try to keep the rod centered in the bore? And I assume that's what a real jag is -- something to keep the rod centered and away from the inside surface of the barrel?

I'm not sure what the plastic thing is. I'm a relative newb too.

The jag replace the patch holder that cam with your kit. It has a dull point you stick the center of the patch through. To me it seems a lot easier than messing with that other patch holder.

After you get good with the Iron Sites, check out a cheap $30 red dot at Walmart. [wink]

Do keep in mind that there is not necessarily only one true way to clean guns. It's truly amazing how many different ways get discussed.

One well known gunsmith recomends using Simple Green instead of any of the special bore cleaners. Another recomends wrapping patches on an undersize brush rather than using a jag.

Speaking of which, you didn't mention any brushes, and my experience is that a lot of these "universal" kits don't include any, and expect you to add the ones you need for your particular guns.

They come in nylon, bronze, and stainless steel. Stainless steel is VERY hard on bores, can damage them, and should ONLY be used to remove bad leading.

Regards
John

When I get a new gun I will field strip it and clean it prior to taking it to the range the first time. Lubricate according to the instructions. I doesn't hurt to have one dedicated rag for a final wipe down after you're all done. I have a silicone inpregnated(& a bit of oil now) rag that I'll wipe them down with before putting in the safe.

1" by 1" is about right for a patch size.

Your claning kit probably came with a loop to hold the patch.
Using wahtever sovent you picked up on the patch. Slip the patch through that and push through the bore from the breech end, remove patch and pull the cleaning rod back through, wip cleaning rod and reapeat as needed.

A jag is used by centering the patch on the end and pushing it through the bore, let the patch fall off at the muzzle end and pull the rod back through. Always clean in one direction.

You shouldn't need the cone for the MKIII since you can clean from the breech end. That is to protect the muzzle if you have to clean from the muzzle end. Avoid that if at all possible.

I also finish with a few dry patches and then a lightly oiled patch.

CD

Back
Top Bottom