• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

First firearm purchase

Went to four seasons yesterday to buy my first gun since I just got my ltc. Dealt with Jeff and he was fantastic. I had a few questions that he answered for me kindly. Will definitely be going back even though it was a 90 mile drive from the cape. Bought an m&p range kit and all the safety stuff I needed, as well as some targets and 350 rounds of fmj, and 100 hps. Will post pics after work today, although I'm sure you all know what it looks like [emoji1]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Congrats, and good choice. Three hundred fifty rounds should last no more than two range sessions, so lay in a few thousand more.

Enjoy! Start looking into some trigger parts for the MP. Makes it a lot more enjoyable to shoot. Many will suggest the apex kit which is great, but you can save a lot just by getting the free state parts.

And start preparing to buy something else.

Grats Man! (yeah, I assumed your gender. Feel free to correct me if it was an incorrect assumption)

Thanks for the advice and well wishes everyone. Bought the complete kit used for 325. Pics tonight

I find it interesting how new shooters from far and wide end up at Four Seasons for their first purchase, as if there are no other gun shops in the state. Amazing how entrenched FS is in people's minds.

Awesome, great price! And I would also suggest finding a closer gun shop!

If you are down the Cape, check out Shooting Supply, which is a much easier drive--closer and no going through Boston.

I may have been at Four Seasons the same time you were, around 1:30 or 2 pm? There was a noob, I mean a newly licensed firearm owner, receiving guidance and assistance from the staff. [grin]

Last edited:
I find it interesting how new shooters from far and wide end up at Four Seasons for their first purchase, as if there are no other gun shops in the state. Amazing how entrenched FS is in people's minds.

OP, do also check out ODS guns in South Yarmouth. I bought my shield 9 there while on vacay a year or two ago. They will do a trigger job on that M&P and make it the nicest shooter you ever had. [smile]

Yes welcome and as suggested buy a big safe. Whatever size you think you need take that number and multiply by at least 10 and you might have enough room. As an example if you think a 10 gun safe will do multiply by 10 for 100. [wink][smile] Enjoy your new gun!

Hell ya!!! Welcome to the addiction... I mean hobby.

Now go buy a big safe, tons of ammo and a few Glocks [smile]

It's smart marketing: FS has arranged for its coupons to be given out at firearm safety classes, so it's the first gun shop exposure for new shooters.

Welcome to the madness. Say goodbye to your savings account

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Speaking for myself it was a combination of clear online presence with details about price and availability. (I wanted a .22 revolver and didn't want to spend time finding random shops that wouldn't have what I wanted) Their name was in my ear from a tie in with the place I got my LTC class and got a coupon for there (which never even got used). Finally when I emailed them and a few other places asking "do you have X and what is the price" they responded that day rather than days later.

The other gun I bought from them was 100% just on price and would have gone somewhere else if I could have matched the price easily with them having it in stock. (LCR .38)

I think some of it has to do with it seeming more difficult at the outset to figure out how shop and where to go. Also, in MA I think a lot of people don't know as many "gun people" until they are past their first gun so its not like you have a buddy who will go with you and shoot the shit at the store while you look at stuff.

At this point I am more apt to figure out what I want and then go on a quest to find it through a number of stores across time because I don't really "have to have it today" and most of the stuff I would fancy at this point would be used anyway so its not like FS volume will push the price down for those things.

But for a good reason.

I went to four seasons because legitimately every single person I asked said go there

It's smart marketing: FS has arranged for its coupons to be given out at firearm safety classes, so it's the first gun shop exposure for new shooters.

Very true. Everyone who takes one of my shooting-based classes gets a FS coupon.

FS was the first gun shop in MA to "make customers" rather than "make sales". That friendliness and willingness to spend time guiding new shooters goes a long way wrt marketing.

FS is also the largest volume shop in MA, getting them pricing that others can't touch. They have a decent web presence as well and Carl is very tuned in to customer comments or complaints.

Now over time, a number of new shops have opened up and copied to some extent the "friendly" attitude towards customers, so it's not as bad as the "good old days" for today's new shooters.

same with me, i have had my LTC for almost a year now and when i first started out everyone i asked said to go to FS granted its only a 20 min drive for me. Listen to everyones advice here and get a big safe, i made the mistake of getting a smaller one. and now i own 4 firearms (all purchased from FS) it does get quite addictive lol...
I went to four seasons because legitimately every single person I asked said go there

Will do. I had a single pistol safe given to me by a friend, but I'll be buying a large one sooner than later

Back
Top Bottom