First Defense Shotgun Recommendations

Rocky Mosasaurus

NES Member
Another noob thread, this time about 12 gauge pump shotguns! I’ve narrowed it down to Remington, Mossberg, Winchester, or Kel-Tec. I can’t buy a model from each manufacturer, yet. I am willing to spend $300-850. What do you guys think?

Edit: I live in a “Granny state.“

Last edited:
Prepare for 30 opinions and 29 answers!

I’ll go first (assuming someone doesn’t post as I’m writing) with an endorsement of Mossberg 500/590 series. Maverick 88 is good, but I ended up with a 590 (not the A1). 20” barrel means 8+1 and it came with an accu-choke barrel which is nice, but not essential, and ghost rings. Pump means it’ll eat anything no problem. Light bird/target rounds all the way up to 3” magnum slugs and turkey loads, though my shoulder can’t recommend those. Tang safety was the deciding factor. I’m a lefty and while I like the cross-bolt (Remington) safety for a pistol grip, it impedes my trigger finger and it felt weird. That was what sealed the deal. You can’t really go wrong with an 870, 500, 590, or even an 88. They all have massive followings and support and are more than reliable platforms to build upon. She’s definitely a looker though. image.jpg

Decide what your determining factors are and back track from there.
Best of luck!
Edit- it was about $500, so right in the middle of your range.

Keltec KSG, eventually get the metal followers, buttstock shock absorber, and a shell deflector and use Aguila mini-shells 👍🏼
Ah yes the wonderful KSG! I almost grabbed one for a great price on the forums but some other lucky bastard scooped it up before me. That is on the higher end of what I’m looking to spend (BNIB from dealer) which is why I’m hesitant to pull the trigger.

Last edited:
Prepare for 30 opinions and 29 answers!

I’ll go first (assuming someone doesn’t post as I’m writing) with an endorsement of Mossberg 500/590 series. Maverick 88 is good, but I ended up with a 590 (not the A1). 20” barrel means 8+1 and it came with an accu-choke barrel which is nice, but not essential, and ghost rings. Pump means it’ll eat anything no problem. Light bird/target rounds all the way up to 3” magnum slugs and turkey loads, though my shoulder can’t recommend those. Tang safety was the deciding factor. I’m a lefty and while I like the cross-bolt (Remington) safety for a pistol grip, it impedes my trigger finger and it felt weird. That was what sealed the deal. You can’t really go wrong with an 870, 500, 590, or even an 88. They all have massive followings and support and are more than reliable platforms to build upon. She’s definitely a looker though. View attachment 345579

Decide what your determining factors are and back track from there.
Best of luck!
I’m leaning towards the 590...great price and upgrades are worth ponying up the extra cash.

I’m leaning towards the 590...great price and upgrades are worth ponying up the extra cash.

The Magpul furniture came as a set from optics planet and ran $125. Well worth it as I shortened the LOP and stopped roasting my fingers on the OEM tri-rail. While neat (it has picatinny rails on the forend) I found my fingers riding the barrel and after a few dozen rounds, it became a painful experience. Middle of the road, but already $125 invested to make it better.

if you're looking for something tacticool. I don't own one but I know collectors in stoneham had a bunch of mag fed 870 and 500 pretty cheap. Probably gone now with the buying spree. Some had full Magpul furniture. They were pretty nice looking. You can't go wrong with an 870 or 500.

Ergonomic considerations include the placement of the safety, personally a Rem 870 18.5 inch barrel, folding stock and a plus 3 tube extension for extra rounds is our choice. If you are in a free state a shockwave or similar firearm is an option

590A1 was my first shotgun, but if I could go back I'd have just gotten the 500, or even the 930. At the time it was cool as a home defense gun, but it's not that versitile since it's really only good for one thing.

I love my Mossberg 500. Tang safety is ambi for the opposite-handed in my family and the lifter is out of the way making loading much easier. Kicks harder than 870s I've shot. Added a tritium front bead.

If I didn't have a lefty to consider, I'd have bought a Maverick 88.

OP. If you are one of those weirdos that like pistol grip shotguns you should probably look at the Remington 870. The button safety is easier to get at when you have a pistol grip. If you are going without pistol grips the Mossberg Tang safety is a better design in my opinion.

Fwiw, the crossbolt safety button on the Maverick 88 is in front of the trigger guard vs behind on an 870. I like where the action release is on the Mossbergs better than the 870 too.

Ergonomic considerations include the placement of the safety, personally a Rem 870 18.5 inch barrel, folding stock and a plus 3 tube extension for extra rounds is our choice. If you are in a free state a shockwave or similar firearm is an option
Granny state of MASS my friend, I love the Shockwave suggestion but I will edit the original post to include this detail.

OP. If you are one of those weirdos that like pistol grip shotguns you should probably look at the Remington 870. The button safety is easier to get at when you have a pistol grip. If you are going without pistol grips the Mossberg Tang safety is a better design in my opinion.
That’s one area where I’m really torn. Pistol grip without stock seems like it would be hard to control since I’m mainly used to shouldering rifles. No pistol grip seems like it would be fine shooting-wise but maneuverability may be slightly decreased in close quarters. This is why I am leaning towards pistol grip with a stock.

Remington 870 has always worked for me. Note however that if you get one you may want to polish the chamber (Google it)
using a brass shotgun cleaning brush and steel wool and an electric drill. I had a problem with heavily loaded shells
getting stuck in the chamber until I did that. Never had a problem since.

I got the Knoxx recoil reducing stock which made it possible to shoot without hurting my shoulder.

I don't see the point of a shotgun for self defense though, but maybe the "granny" state means you cannot own a
semi automatic rifle with a removable magazine?

I may be the only person with this opinion but I do not like pistols or rifles for home defense.if it was close by I would certainly grab the pistol but discharging a pistol or a rifle in a house can result in the bullet going through the wall and hitting an innocent person on the other side. There are all sorts of post on this board about ND's that have gone through ceilings and walls in to adjoining apartments or rooms.

I have both a 870 and a 590 that I added the Magpul furniture to. I did the 870 first and that became my favorite. Now since I did the 590 thats back on top again. I think the Tang Safety on the Mossberg is a plus for a home defense shotgun.

I have a Mossberg 590-A1 and a Benelli M4. I like both gun but I prefer the Mossberg. I'm a lefty so the tang safety is a winner for me. I ended up with the 590-A1 because it was a little beefier then standard 590 and 500. Another nice thing about the Mossberg is with a magazine change to the 500 style you can toss on a longer barrel and head out for some clays or hunting.

Bought my Remington 870 slightly used from 4 Seasons 5-6 yrs. ago for $350 added my improvements to it's function, from NES classifieds mostly . I'm into for around $500. It is set up how I want it. Then I have an awesome Remington 1100 I hardly ever use Great Gun but not set up as a strategic defense weapon. And last but not least I have a Ithica 12 guage goose gun! I can't even imagine swiveling around in doorways or hallways with that long ass barrell!

I have an old Mossy 500 that I bought used in 92 for $125. Through the years I have modified it specifically for it's purpose with Magpul furniture, mostly because recoil was stout. But the best mod is also the cheapest. 10 round, detachable box magazines. With 6 in the gun, and 10 in the box, there are very few human problems that can not be remedied by 16 rounds of 12ga buck shot.

But I would advise that whatever pump gun you decide on, spend some serious time practicing. Everything works great in a stress free range environment, but short stroking a pump gun when your adrenaline is rushing and you are shitting your pants, is far more common than you might think. Which is why, when I was able to afford it, I bought a Benelli M4. I will never sell that old 500, but when my son heads off into the world on his own, I will likely give it to him.

I may be the only person with this opinion but I do not like pistols or rifles for home defense.if it was close by I would certainly grab the pistol but discharging a pistol or a rifle in a house can result in the bullet going through the wall and hitting an innocent person on the other side. There are all sorts of post on this board about ND's that have gone through ceilings and walls in to adjoining apartments or rooms.
Any round that will do what you want it to do to another person will go through a stick-built house wall. 00 buck is no exception. Some of the evidence even suggests that fast/light intermediate rifle chamberings (such as 5.56) are actually more likely to be stopped by modern construction than slow/heavy pistol or shotgun chamberings.

That being said, my suggestion for a shotgun would be a Remington 870. Ostensibly, the older all-metal ones are leaps and bounds better than the newer ones, but I’ve never had an issue with mine in the 10+ years I’ve had it.

A couple examples of tacticool and really tacticool..

Steven's 320 in 20 gauge (they make a 12 and it's the same) & Mossberg 500 Scorpion in 12 gauge w/ a vortex 1x spitfire..

Both are fine, reliable etc, Mossberg is neat because they just come out of the box fully dressed up (in what I consider to be kinda cheap parts though)..

Personally I think these Steven's shotguns are a much better design for this sort of thing - especially on a budget (talking < $250). Less loose moving parts, simpler to field strip and assemble/clean, the action is smoother. Haven't put my hands on an 870 in awhile, maybe I would like those more, but I would not buy another Mossberg.

20200407_102903.jpg

20200407_102832.jpg

Wanted a 590A1 for the farm, but ended up buying during all this crap so got a regular 590. Front end gets heavy when loaded up, so maybe I'm happier I didn't get the A1.

My only opinion is the KSG is a POS.

It is fine for a range toy, no way I would use one in a situation the could mean life or death.

The rest, get whatever you like. Go simple and reliable. The less moving parts and things that can go wrong, the better.

You could also build a Remington 1740:

uyc8zcswodw21.jpg

For $850 get a Benelli M1 super 90

if you are stuck on pump for some reason, 590A1 is a good option

Back
Top Bottom