First day of squirrel season (pic)

Squirrel... It's What's for Dinner.

squirrel.jpg

Anyone care to guess the shotgun?

Shotgun? Isn't that kind of a pain to get all the pellets out of the meat?

No more so than for a pheasant, grouse, duck, or rabbit -- all of which are commonly hunted with shotguns. The pattern spreads and not many hit the animal... my closest shot today was 30 yards. If the animal is closer, you can "aim off" a little. The only time I've had a problem with too many pellets was rabbit hunting with a dog... some of those shots can be close.

Why not use a .22?

Don't want to put bullets up into the air. I like a shotgun early in the season when the leaves are still on. I can see and hear them moving in the canopy and stalk close enough using the cover of tree trunks and understory foliage. Later in the season, when the leaves are down, I switch to a .22 because I (and they) can see farther. Then I only take shots on the ground or against a tree trunk.

Close, but no cigar!

I have around here some place IJ card board that was used in shipping from the old factory in Fitchburg. That owl was a dead give away since it is printed on the boxes. [wink]

When I come across them, I'll let you know and send one to you since your an owner of a IJ. Keep history alive!

Back
Top Bottom