• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

First Coyote Hunt

New to coyote hunting as well. I've tried a few times at various times of day and trying to play the wind. I've heard them a few times at night (have land owner permission) but never saw anything. Have a new thermal coming tomorrow so perhaps that will help seeing them before they see me kind of deal.

Would like to meet up and perhaps do some hunting together if that's an option. Good luck and I'll post my updates.
Following for updates. Definitely something that I would like to try

Hopefully not crunchy snow!
oops! Missed “bait pile” never mind

There's a slight crust forming over the foot of fresh. I hate that crap. No sled traffic to pack the trails yet, either. Tough going out there. Pulled cards from the trail cameras - not much activity out there since the latest dump of snow. The bait site is a good indicator of activity, and it hasn't been dug up yet. I hiked a couple of miles and spotted no canid tracks. I won't bother calling until I see signs of movement.

New to coyote hunting as well. I've tried a few times at various times of day and trying to play the wind. I've heard them a few times at night (have land owner permission) but never saw anything. Have a new thermal coming tomorrow so perhaps that will help seeing them before they see me kind of deal.

Cool. Which thermal scope did you get?

Cool. Which thermal scope did you get?
I picked up the Bering Optics Super Hogster R Thermal Scope. I run with a pair of PVS-14s and IR Laser / Illuminator as well to spot and observe. I caught this dog with the NVGs first against the snow background as a dark spot and confirmed it on thermal and took the shot. Pick off my first coyote at night this past Sunday at 2:30am at 150y.

1.jpg
2.jpg

I went out for only the second time this season yesterday, and had one come in but I couldn't see it. Heard some creeping in the snow about 35 yards out but I couldn't locate the source. He circled back around me, and winded me. When I spotted him he was looking back over his shoulder at me, smirking.

Might do some calling for crow with the grandson. Hoping these warm temps coming reduce the snow cover depth. It's till knee deep in the woods here.

Back
Top Bottom