• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

First competition!

rujero

NES Member
So I recently participated in my first competitive match. It was hosted by the MRA and used rules from the CMP. It was specifically for .45 1911's and the targets were hung at 75 feet with iron sights. I think I may be hooked...

10 rounds any stance,
10 rounds left handed,
10 rounds right handed,
10 rounds any stance, rapid fire.

So much fun!

That's a little different than cmp service pistol but still fun.
I liked the cmp service pistol 50 yards slow fire , 25 yards Timed and rapid . fun stuff
Glad you had fun.

That's a little different than cmp service pistol but still fun.
I liked the cmp service pistol 50 yards slow fire , 25 yards Timed and rapid . fun stuff
Glad you had fun.

Oh wow so the CMP pistol matches are 50 yards with iron sights!? As someone mentioned, the MNA indoor range is only 25 yards but every stage was timed. I think the gentleman who organized it was trying to get more people exposed to the competitive side of shooting using CMP as a guide, and it definitely worked! I'm not so sure I could hit the black at double the distance. I'll have to get to the outdoor 50 yard range on one of my days off before sundown.

-r

It's interesting because I am a righty and when I shoot with both hands its the right that holds the grip and the left that stabilizes. But when we shot one-handed I was more accurate with my left. Before this competition I had never shot lefty and now I am wondering if I should switch my double handed stance and see how I do.

Go with your dominant eye.
For all the info you'll ever need, look for a copy of the Army Marksmanship Unit Manual, pretty sure you can find it online at no cost. It's the bullseye bible.

Oh wow so the CMP pistol matches are 50 yards with iron sights!? As someone mentioned, the MNA indoor range is only 25 yards but every stage was timed. I think the gentleman who organized it was trying to get more people exposed to the competitive side of shooting using CMP as a guide, and it definitely worked! I'm not so sure I could hit the black at double the distance. I'll have to get to the outdoor 50 yard range on one of my days off before sundown.

-r
its a big black bull ,
the 50 yard target bull is 8" and contains the 8-X ring (x ring is 1.695") the black bull is 15 MOA you can do it.
the target goes out to a 5 ring that is 19.62"
if you want to test the waters up close a 50 yard slow fire target reduced for 50' feet has a black bull that runs 7-X ring that is 3.07"

if you where using the 25 yard rapid fire targets they are the same size as the 50 yard but the black bull only contains the 9-X rings

50 yard target is a NRA B-6 25 yard is B-8 and the 50' is B2 there are some other 20 yard and 25 yard targets but I forget them at the moment. I use the 50' target with the pellet pistols and pretend im actually at the range:(

try shooting with your hand that matches your dominate eye if it works out well then go with it ....its not hard to shoot with your dominate eye and non dominate side hand with a pistol. I shoot pistol righty as well as lefty being left eye dom

the 50 yard target bull is 8" and contains the 8-X ring (x ring is 1.695") the black bull is 15 MOA you can do it.
the target goes out to a 5 ring that is 19.62"
if you want to test the waters up close a 50 yard slow fire target reduced for 50' feet has a black bull that runs 7-X ring that is 3.07"

if you where using the 25 yard rapid fire targets they are the same size as the 50 yard but the black bull only contains the 9-X rings

50 yard target is a NRA B-6 25 yard is B-8 and the 50' is B2

Thanks for the info. I'll order some NRA targets and see what I can do!

Back
Top Bottom