• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

First CMP order! It's here!

My order just hit the E-Store. Service Grade HRA with a note that I would take a Springfield. Also noticed the HRA Service Grades are now listed as Sold Out.

Well crap. I sent mine off asking for an HRA on 10/02/13, I got my e-mail (DBU) on 10/18/13, saying they received my order on 10/04/13. I specfically wanted an HRA as my wife's dad was an engineer for them. Wonder what will happen to my order. Hopefully they will call, I'd probably upgrade to the HRA Service Grade Special if they ask.

Just got charged for my Service Grade HRA order. On the order form I added that they could change to any Service Grade Available. The e-store was updated just now to a Springfield, I also asked at the time of order for the lowest serial number available.

SG HRA
Mailed - 9/3
Received - 9/9
DBU - 9/28
E-Store - 10/24
CC - 10/25 - e-store updated to Springfield Armory Service Grade - waiting on serial number

+2
Nice

Last edited:
Got the bug after a recent Appleseed. I ordered a SA CMP Special too.

Sent application: July 3, 2013
Received: July 8, 2013
DBU: July 18, 2013 (told 60-90 days for processing through sales)
Estore: 7/29/2013 (rifle and ammo)
CC: 7/29/2013 (ammo) 10/18/2013 (rifle)
Ship: 7/30/2013 (ammo) 10/18/2013 (rifle)
Delivered: 8/2/2013 (ammo) 10/21/2013 (rifle)

Received an email 10/16 offering a switch to an HRA Special delivered in 2-4 weeks or wait at least another six months for the SA. Since it is a special, I switched to the HRA.

Shipped two days later!!!!

I am not sure which was worse--waiting almost four months to get the rifle or having to wait a week after I received it to have time to play! I plan to strip it and clean it up today and hopefully have enough time to get to the range. I am trying to decide if I should further finish the stock with boiled linseed oil or pure tung oil. It is new wood--I am not so concerned about being correct. I am leaning towards the tung oil since it provides some weather protection.

Here are a couple of pics:

CMP Special HRA (800x297).jpg receiver (800x417).jpg

I am not sure which was worse--waiting almost four months to get the rifle or having to wait a week after I received it to have time to play! I plan to strip it and clean it up today and hopefully have enough time to get to the range. I am trying to decide if I should further finish the stock with boiled linseed oil or pure tung oil. It is new wood--I am not so concerned about being correct. I am leaning towards the tung oil since it provides some weather protection.

View attachment 83068View attachment 83067

Awesome. Looking forward to the range report. I use Pure Tung Oil from Real Milk Paint Co.

I sanded the stain/sealer off all my new wood stocks from cmp. They spray on a finish to help match the 3 pieces as best they could. WARNING you can end up with very uneven wood tones if you do this. Tung oil is a nice finish if you use 100% pure and take the time to apply let dry and reapply. I'm happy with 6 coats. Tru oil is also very good if applied correctly if you want more of a "weather " protection coating. Tung oil takes some time. You really should rub it in with hands until its nice and warm. Then wipe with lint free cloth until almost "dry". You do not want to leave tung oil on the "surface" to dry.
I let it go at least a week between coats. After 2nd coat you can wet sand with tung oil and 600 grit or finer emmory cloth. It doesn't "cut" the wood but rather makes a little slurry and fills some holes. Several coats later you have a nice solid finish that doesn't look like its coating the wood but is in or part of the wood....

I sanded the stain/sealer off all my new wood stocks from cmp. They spray on a finish to help match the 3 pieces as best they could. WARNING you can end up with very uneven wood tones if you do this. Tung oil is a nice finish if you use 100% pure and take the time to apply let dry and reapply. I'm happy with 6 coats. Tru oil is also very good if applied correctly if you want more of a "weather " protection coating. Tung oil takes some time. You really should rub it in with hands until its nice and warm. Then wipe with lint free cloth until almost "dry". You do not want to leave tung oil on the "surface" to dry.
I let it go at least a week between coats. After 2nd coat you can wet sand with tung oil and 600 grit or finer emmory cloth. It doesn't "cut" the wood but rather makes a little slurry and fills some holes. Several coats later you have a nice solid finish that doesn't look like its coating the wood but is in or part of the wood....

Thank you the advice. I thought I could apply a coat a day. Patience is really the operative word with M1s! I am going to go with the hand rubbed Tung Oil and give it plenty of time to dry. I have a new can of Old Masters 100% Pure Tung Oil.

So this being my first CMP purchase, Ive seen alot of peoples credit cards get charged the day off or the day after the order hitting the estore. My order hit the estore on 10/24 and my card hasn't been charged. My order status is still listed as open. I cant wait for them to take my money and ship me my baby! haha

Thank you the advice. I thought I could apply a coat a day. Patience is really the operative word with M1s! I am going to go with the hand rubbed Tung Oil and give it plenty of time to dry. I have a new can of Old Masters 100% Pure Tung Oil.

Follow the instructions on your product......tung oil cures buy oxidation not evaporation. So if its not cured and you apply more coats it may never dry. Good thing about tung or boiled linseed is as long as you don't apply any thing else over the tung oil you can reapply at any time. Good luck patience is key with wood work. Some tung oil "finishes" dry faster as they have stuff added to them. They come out more like varnish which is not the look you want.

Basically after hitting the estore that means your paper work is in order and has moved to sales/shipping pile.
Your credit card will get hit just before it ships......mine arrived 2 days after cc hit.

is this something new ?

I've only started ordering from them this year, but I gather from the CMP forums that this is typical.

May be only for particular states or regions, but I believe there is a "designated" driver who makes these deliveries, who may not be the usual person for your neighborhood, so they are inclined to avoid wasted delivery attempts.

I've only started ordering from them this year, but I gather from the CMP forums that this is typical.

May be only for particular states or regions, but I believe there is a "designated" driver who makes these deliveries, who may not be the usual person for your neighborhood, so they are inclined to avoid wasted delivery attempts.

like i said unless this is due to remote locations that the USPS cant cover for fedex/ups< this new thing i dont like at all. I have never been called or recieved any email from the fedex/ups for gun deliveries?
You will get a shipping notice for rifles from cmp or if you have an account set up with fedex/ups?
I just recieved a ammo order which I didnt get a shipping notice for. Which I think they dropped to speed up the process on all but gun orders. As far as I know they still do the 3 attempt then you need to go to hub....I have had the same fedex driver for 6 years and has delivered all of my cmp garands...but who knows they are always messing with shipping?

like i said unless this is due to remote locations that the USPS cant cover for fedex/ups< this new thing i dont like at all. I have never been called or recieved any email from the fedex/ups for gun deliveries?
You will get a shipping notice for rifles from cmp or if you have an account set up with fedex/ups?
I just recieved a ammo order which I didnt get a shipping notice for. Which I think they dropped to speed up the process on all but gun orders. As far as I know they still do the 3 attempt then you need to go to hub....I have had the same fedex driver for 6 years and has delivered all of my cmp garands...but who knows they are always messing with shipping?

i just got a can today with no call. In June when I got a rifle I did not get a call, but I did have it diverted to a FEDEX hub for pickup.

In June when I got a rifle I did not get a call, but I did have it diverted to a FEDEX hub for pickup.

I may have to due this so as not to inconvenience the wife with the delivery [wink] I got my confirmation email but the order is not in the system yet so I still have a long wait for my first Garand!

I may have to due this so as not to inconvenience the wife with the delivery [wink] I got my confirmation email but the order is not in the system yet so I still have a long wait for my first Garand!
You might want to call cmp customer service and see if this can be done from the when they prepare your shipping label?
If not you need to contact fedex after the shipping label is created and depending on how fast it ships after label generation you may have a rifle at home waiting with the wife. Another opption is if it can be shipped to your work or other place more convient. Going to the hub sucks for me as it requires a day off from work!

I will contact them now tomorrow. I can't see sending a rifle to the office as a wise choice these days. I know it depends on the company but shipping it the corporate headquarters of a New England based (fairly conservative) manufacturing company doesn't seem like a good career move!! Having the wife get her hands on it may not be much better...........FedEx it is :)

i just got a can today with no call. In June when I got a rifle I did not get a call, but I did have it diverted to a FEDEX hub for pickup.
My rifle scheduald delivery time 10:00 am andhad to be signed for by adult, but for $5.00 while in transit you can elect to have it delivered between 5:00 & 8:00 pm.

It hasn't shipped yet, I'm still waiting on the serial number.

Got my order acknowledgement yesterday. It should ship within a week once you get it. Mine seem to always ship on a Friday so I get to wait until Monday.

I will contact them now tomorrow. I can't see sending a rifle to the office as a wise choice these days...............

I have all mine shipped to my office. Depending on the size of the box, I get a call telling me whether a gun or ammo came in for me. And if I'm there FedEx or UPS tell me the same thing.
I must be predictable.

I have had really good results with tom's 1/3 natural wax mix on the cmp boyd's stocks. Darkens it up a bit, gives it a silky look and protects the wood. I usually give it 5 coats, waiting a day or more in between applications. Even if you do oil it, it's a good product to finish up with. If you do that, give the oil plenty of time to dry. I've recommended tom's a bunch of times here, but when you see a good thing, why keep it to yourself, right?

Awesome rifle! I'm glad to see so many NESers picking them up before the tap runs dry.

Serial number just showed up in the e-store. Looks like August 1941! #317747.

I asked for the lowest number available.

Back
Top Bottom