• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

First C&R Pistol w/ a bit of a mystery

So, my first C&R Pistol arrived--M57 Tokarev. At this point it seems like I've become a "Commie collector" since nearly all of my surplus firearms (and indeed some of my non-C&R pieces) save for my M1s and my Enfield are from Warsaw pact countries.

I'm by no means an expert on C&R pistols or M57s, but this one seems a bit interesting. Everything I've been able to find points to the C prefix M57s being 1960 or 1961--but this one not only has what my eyes deem to be the six torch crest (didn't know they had them, but it's pretty cool to me) as well as the SFRJ grips which mark it as 1963-1964.

So, for those more knowledgeable about C&R pistols, what say you? Is it normal to add the crest and/or updated grips during a refurb? My guess is that maybe it started in 1960-1 and was updated later with the new grips and/or crest? That seems kind of strange to add later on.

As an aside, the condition overall is quite nice. Found it cheaper than "you know who" plus a surplus mag at a better price. Feels good in the hand; trigger break is crisp but quite far to the rear. Can definitely see the "inspiration" of the 1911 with the link on the barrel and whatnot.

Cleaning this plus my other acquisition (new LCP2) made for quite an enjoyable day off.

Attachments

• crest.jpg
    crest.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 72
  • m57.jpg
    m57.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 71
  • m57-2.jpg
    m57-2.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
simplest solution is most likely, slide got swapped at some point with a later one. I don't remember if there's s/n on the slide or not so if there's not then there's your answer.

Finally got this out to the range after sourcing some ammo. It had no problem blowing up a water-filled gallon jug.
20180805_180800.jpg

After firing a few rounds at different plate stations I was dismayed that I couldn't seem to find any of my brass despite spending a long time looking. Eventually, I fired a round while watching the ejection port...to my astonishment, it was ejecting roughly fifteen feet behind me and to the right... I never would have looked that far.

After watching that, I was able to go to the different shooting stations I used and find all my loose brass.

Very light recoil and a fun gun to shoot. Since it was my first experience with it, I wasn't particularly accurate and for the time being I will blame it on myself. Now I have some brass to begin developing loads.

20180805_180938.jpg

This is why you buy 1700 rounds of surplus from me and need not worry about brass collecting.

watch out for cracked cases on those milsurp 7.62x25 tok rounds

Yes, they usually always crack at the mouth when fired (brittle stuff) and they are non reloadable if you don't have the right size berdan primers so they are nothing to be salvaged anyway.
They'll fire fine with a crack, I've shot a bunch in a couple of CZ52s and PPsh without issue.

Corrosive so clean accordingly

This is why you buy 1700 rounds of surplus from me and need not worry about brass collecting.
I don't suppose you brought any to NH, in the unlikely event you're still up here.

Today is 103 days since my non-res LTC interview. Still twiddling my thumbs.

Congrats on your first C&R handgun,hold on to your wallet it's going to be one hell of a spending spree from now on.

I can't help you on provenance on your new pistol but I have a Romanian TTC. Love shooting that gun, and I have a couple thousand rounds of surplus and new production ammo for it. Used to be you could get surplus 7.62x25 for ridiculously dirt cheap but those days are pretty much gone. When I first bought my CZ52 years ago, I bought a 1260 round tin of Polish surplus ammo for like $75.

Back
Top Bottom