First Buy Suggesstion for Restricted LTC?

Let me just say this up front:

I'm from Boston, born and raised, Dorchester to be exact. That's never gonna change and I'm not planning on moving. I understand there are some with strong views about Boston with regards to licensing, about Dorchester with regards to violence, about Mass gun law in general, etc...my response is, it is what it is. Like I said, I don't plan on moving, so that's that.

Now, I just got my LTC A. Restricted, obviously, to home defense and target/range. Been thinking long and hard about what weapon to buy. This will be my first weapon and I am a homeowner. So since I can't carry it concealed, my primary outlook is trying to find the optimum home defense weapon. My main criteria are:

1. Inexpensive yet reliable
2. Easy to train (and hopefully enjoyable)

I'm open to suggestions. That being said, I've been leaning toward the M&P9 Full, Range and Carry Kit, for a few reasons:

1. Got a $25 coupon for Four Seasons which, from what I've seen, has the best price on the range kit
2. Extra mag with the range kit, plus holsters
3. 9mm ammo is not too expensive

Now there are other things I liked about the full M&P, like the look and feel, etc. but I won't get into that. Just want some favorable comparisons that I can stack the M&P against before finalizing what I should buy so, I figured I'd bring it to the experts.

So tell me, what are your thoughts?

Thanks Chet (or Tuco), that's funny, because I was also looking at that exact Beretta, and was leaning towards that until I shot it at the range. Just felt heavier weight-wise, but the thing is damn accurate!

Go with a Remington 870 with the extended tube, if you want a weapon for home defense.

A 9mm handgun is good for everyday carry - but for home defense I would get a shotgun.

Last edited:
Yeah, an 870 you can get for $300-400. Get some 00 buck for it and you're all set for home defense.

The M & P Range kit is nice, but you're going to want to spend another $100 on a trigger job. I suggest the Ruger SR9, nice trigger, easy to use etc etc. I love it. If you want a pistol for home defense. I carry a pistol (I understand you can't) but prefer a shotgun as home defense.

good luck

ETA:

I paid 430 for my SR9, but FS has them cheaper I think

Glock 19 might be an option. You can get standard mags for it, whereas you have to settle for the crippled 10-rounders with the M&P. I have both, and I shoot them about the same, but I have a standard (ie, non-MA) trigger in my M&P. They're roughly the same size.

If it's home defense get an 870 or a Mossberg 500/590. The 870 with the extension is very nice. Then pick up something to plink with at the range. I'd get a .22 pistol and have lots of fun. Then maybe for my third gun I'd get a nice 9mm. By the time you're ready to buy the 9mm you'll have been able to shot a few different models and you'll pretty much know what you want to get. After that they sky's the limit.

Last edited:
I did look into shotguns, albeit briefly. I quickly came to the decision that it would be a lot harder for me to become proficient with a shotgun than it would with a handgun, plus, lugging to and from the range and maintenance, just seems like it'd be easier with the handgun. Lastly, God-forbid I ever had to use the thing to actually defend my home, I see myself getting to the handgun more quickly and causing less damage. Not to say that shotguns don't have their niche-gonna check out those models you suggested, at the very least so that I can become more informed about what to ultimately decide.

I did look into the SR9C, not the full size (didn't have one available for me to try). I liked the way it felt when shooting, but for some reason, I thought the full size might be better as far as aim, especially since I don't have the option to conceal carry, so the extra size doesn't bother me (if I do end up gaining the ability to CC down the line, I'd probably just pick up an additional, compact-sized weapon).

Heard a lot of bad things about the M&P trigger. It didn't particularly bother me, but then again, if I shot one WITH a trigger job/apex, who knows? I'd probably change my mind.

Glock? I actually never even considered a Glock, since you can't buy them new. For some reason I feel I want my first lady to be "a virgin", so to speak, mostly for sentimental reasons. That being said, if I could find pre-ban mags, that is a plus in and of itself.

LOL at me thinking this decision was gonna be easy...

Last edited:
Don't overlook the used handgun market. You can get some quality guns for less money. Also, you might find an M&P9 that has already had the trigger smoothed out. Bonus.

I did look into shotguns, albeit briefly. I quickly came to the decision that it would be a lot harder for me to become proficient with a shotgun than it would with a handgun, plus, lugging to and from the range and maintenance, just seems like it'd be easier with the handgun. Lastly, God-forbid I ever had to use the thing to actually defend my home, I see myself getting to the handgun more quickly and causing less damage. Not to say that shotguns don't have their niche-gonna check out those models you suggested, at the very least so that I can become more informed about what to ultimately decide.

Have you shot handguns and shotguns before, or is this theoretical? Maybe I just suck (probably), but I find handguns to be MUCH more difficult to shoot well. And consider it will likely be dark and hard to line up the sights if you need to use it for home defense (I guess you could use a laser). They also do less damage to the bad guy, and are more likely to go through walls and maybe kill your neighbor. Shotgun also has the intimidation factor going for it.

I think really the only thing a pistol has going for it in terms of home defense is the small size and maneuverability. With a rifle or shotgun, if a bad guy can close the distance to you (which, inside a room, he could do in less than .5 of a second...) you're not going to be able to use it effectively. Maybe not true with a pistol.

There are some good deals to be had here in the classifieds on NES - keep an eye out and you'll find something - maybe get a SW Judge or Taurus Ragin Bull???

For home defense/range gun I think a 686 plus should be on your list. A lot of people gravitate towards the semi's but a quality revolver cannot be beat for reliability and the .357 magnum round for hd and the .38 special for the range.
Look almost to the end of the Four Seasons web page and you'll read that if you could only have one handgun the 686 is a great choice.

I did look into shotguns, albeit briefly. I quickly came to the decision that it would be a lot harder for me to become proficient with a shotgun than it would with a handgun, plus, lugging to and from the range and maintenance, just seems like it'd be easier with the handgun.

Have you shot a shot gun before? I'm not talking about a 28" barrel duck/turkey gun. I'm talking about an 18" barreled 12 gauge slug gun with a tactical stock and pistol grip on it. Maybe I'll take a picture and post my home defense shotgun for you to take a peek at tomorrow. It's to late tonight and I've been up since 0400. But this thing is devastating in close quarters. With #4 buck someone's being carried out in a body bag and it won't be me. And who gives a crap about collateral damage to the house?

My family is a hell of a lot more important to me than some sheet rock and a wooden door.

As far as maintenance goes it's no worse nor better than any other firearm.

Last edited:
Have you shot handguns and shotguns before, or is this theoretical? Maybe I just suck (probably), but I find handguns to be MUCH more difficult to shoot well. And consider it will likely be dark and hard to line up the sights if you need to use it for home defense (I guess you could use a laser). They also do less damage to the bad guy, and are more likely to go through walls and maybe kill your neighbor. Shotgun also has the intimidation factor going for it.

I think really the only thing a pistol has going for it in terms of home defense is the small size and maneuverability. With a rifle or shotgun, if a bad guy can close the distance to you (which, inside a room, he could do in less than .5 of a second...) you're not going to be able to use it effectively. Maybe not true with a pistol.

This. Get an 870. In about a month (just before deer season) Dick's will have the 870 with a rifled barrel and scope for slugs and a longer barrel for other uses (hunting, long range). Then you can buy an 18 inch barrel from CDNN sports for like 70 bucks. Now you will have a gun that is so varied in its uses it is hard to beat. I will add turkey shot is also a good HD round if you live in close quarters. Gun Stories on the outdoor channel has an episode about the 870 that they deem it the bulletproof gun. Easy to use and clean, shoots no matter what you feed it. Easiest gun to get good fast with in my opinion.
Also with the huge popularity of the 870 parts are very common.

Point taken about the sheet rock...makes perfect sense, in the heat of the moment, to care less about the structure and more about the fam.

Never actually shot a shotty. Is it anything like a rifle? Will being right handed left-eye dominant affect me with a shotty like it does with the rifle?

And I guess I did kinda assume the shotgun itself would be heavier and more unwieldy by nature...need to find a range that'll let me shoot one off to see, I guess.

+1 on the club suggestion also! Gun butting is better than nothing at all, worst case scenario :)

Ruger sr9 and a mossberg 500. The sr9 is good for range fun and a good nightstand weapon. The m500 is near perfect for home defense IMHO. Both have a solid line of accessories from the mfgs and after market. Neither are all that expensive.

Point taken about the sheet rock...makes perfect sense, in the heat of the moment, to care less about the structure and more about the fam.

Never actually shot a shotty. Is it anything like a rifle? Will being right handed left-eye dominant affect me with a shotty like it does with the rifle?

And I guess I did kinda assume the shotgun itself would be heavier and more unwieldy by nature...need to find a range that'll let me shoot one off to see, I guess.

+1 on the club suggestion also! Gun butting is better than nothing at all, worst case scenario :)

Is it like a rifle.... ummmmm yes and no. It's shaped like a rifle but it tends to have a little more recoil that some rifles. especially if your shooting magnum loads. But it's no where near the recoil of a Barret. [grin] I have a Blackhawk SpecOps RCS stock on my Mossberg 500 and I can shot Federal LE Hydra Shock Magnum 1 oz rifled slugs all day. Before the stock I could do about 40 rounds before it started to hurt. #4 buck is like shooting a 20 ga with #6 bird shot.

That left right stuff you have to work around. I'm the same way left eye right hand. You deal with it. I just close my left eye and force my right eye to do the work. I know.... I know there are better ways.

Last edited:
If you're considering buying a handgun for home defense you should get a 45. 9mm is for little girls. You might as well keep a slingshot in your nightstand. As for shotguns, either the 870 or a mossy 500 is a foolproof plan. Short barrel, tactical stock and some #4 shot. Unbeatable. Get a xd45 or a Sig 220 for your handgun.

Last edited:
If you're considering buying a handgun for home defense you should get a 45. 9mm is for little girls. You might as well keep a slingshot in your nightstand. As for shotguns, either the 870 or a mossy 500 is a foolproof plan. Short barrel, tactical stock and some #4 shot. Unbeatable. Get a xd45 or a Sig 220 for your handgun.

I have a 1911 in my night stand but my 12ga is even more handy!

2nd on the sr9. I was sure I was getting the m&p 9 until I shot it,
The trigger was terrible. The ruger was ready to use out of the box.

I have a 1911 in my night stand but my 12ga is even more handy![/QUOTE]

I keep a 1911 right next to my pillow, too, but I know some people aren't big fans of the Greatest Handgun Ever, especially new shooters. That's why I suggested the XD or a Sig. I know the OP listed price as a determining factor, but you can always find a great deal or two in the NES Classifieds!

I have a 1911 in my night stand but my 12ga is even more handy!

I keep a 1911 right next to my pillow, too, but I know some people aren't big fans of the Greatest Handgun Ever, especially new shooters. That's why I suggested the XD or a Sig. I know the OP listed price as a determining factor, but you can always find a great deal or two in the NES Classifieds!

I'm somewhat of a new shooter...well new to shooting my own privately owned firearms. I carried the berreta 92 9mm as a side arm in the Army while I served over in Iraq. I bought my first pistol last week, the ruger sr1911, and I LOVE it. Would never trade it for a 9mm. I just need a shotgun next and my trifecta of home defense would be complete; ar15, 1911, and a shotgun. That mossberg tactical shotgun seems sweet.

Last edited:
So how long did it take you to get your ltc -b? Talked to a customer of mine who's wife has been waiting a year almost in Dorchester.

From taking the cert class to initial interview, two months. Waited another month to do Moon Island test (would've been two but they had some vacancies open up so I got bumped). Wait for license was a month and a half; I called after a couple of weeks and asked nicely asked the status, they said it was in the works. So I would say like 5 months total, maybe just under.

If your taste is leaning to an M&P (a fine firearm), consider a M&P full size .45ACP. You will need to get a trigger job (about $100). With a good trigger job it shoots like a dream, with very little recoil. Get a Streamlight light for the rail for home defense, check them out. I've got one and love it.

Back
Top Bottom