• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

First build - how much OD green is too much?

NH-GP100

NES Member
Right. I am half way through a very slow 12 hour night shift and posting on my phone out of shear boredom...

So I picked up a matched lower/upper set from AWS a while back and have been pondering options. I already know I am building it as a M-Forgery and want to keep it pretty lightweight, so am going with a magpul ACS-L stock, some kind of lightweight full float quad rail (I'm not gonna hang a bunch of crap off it, but I want to be able too add stuff if I want, likely only need a full top rail for a good set of irons), and a good, but relatively short Wylde chambered barrel (looking at this: http://www.ar15performance.com/inc/sdetail/11562/18596 ), and likely a good trigger setup (still undecided on that, looking for a good, but not budget-busting option).

So, now for the real super-duper important part: how crazy should I go with the color options.

I had the "Live Free or Die" filled in gold (as a nice little "fu" to the bloomburg crowd) and the "fire" selector filled red. I am going with od green for the stock and grip. I have been picking up pmag m3 30 rd windowed mags in black here and there with my discretionary fundage (they don't make the windowed m3 30s in green - yet...) but am planning on picking up a few of the troys in green.

I am not gonna do any green coatings on the upper/lower/barrel, I want them black.

I am however considering getting all the rest of the stuff in green (dust cover, mag release, fire selector, trigger guard, etc)

So. How much is too much? Anyone have any trigger recommendations that domt cost as much as or more than the barrel? Comments on the barrel choice, rail recamandations?

I have an OD green AR (well 2 actually [smile] ), and an OD MSAR Steyr clone (I think I have a problem!). I like having the trigger guard and dust cover etc in black. I did paint the stainless barrel in OD, and refinished a few USGI mags in OD. The OD breaks up the evil black profile nicely. Here is a pic for comparison.

RIFLE_3_resize.jpg

Last edited:
I likey... Is that the ACS stock?.

I do like the OD rail covers, but I don't think I am gonna do anything with the barrel, which is black anyway. Mag release, selector and dust cover I am pretty sure will all get the green. I may get both a green and black trigger guard and see how they look. I am leaning towards black on that.

Back
Top Bottom