• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

First Build.......First issue with build :(

nightpoison

NES Member
So I finally finished my first AR-15 build about 2/3 weeks ago. I had not been able to take it to the range to test it as there were a number of life issues that popped up. I had a half day at work and I made sure there was nothing else to keep me from the range.

Now, before I even went to the range I did some basic function checks. Threw some dummy rounds in a magazine and checked that it chambered the rounds fine and extracted fine as well. ran it through this for about two dozen rounds, with no issues. The rounds all chambered fully.

well I took it to the range today, the rifle was cleaned and lightly oiled. Pulled back on the charging handle and locked the BCG back. Loaded one round in the magazine, inserted magazine, and released the BCG. Round chambered fine, took aim, set it to fire, and pulled the trigger. The empty casing extracted perfecting, back and to the right at about a 45 degree angle slightly elevated. Took at look at the target and it looks like it was shooting low. Didn't have a front post tool, yep I know bone head. not a big deal just aim higher.

Loaded the next round into the magazine, inserted the magazine, and released the BCG. JAM! The BCG would not chamber the round fully. dropped the mag, pulled back on the charging handle and it felt stuck. pulled back harder and it came loose. It looked like the round was about 3/4 the way in.

disassembled looked for any issues around the feed ramps, the BCG, and upper receiver. couldn't find any. put it all back together. loaded another single round, released the BCG and it chambered perfect. pulled the trigger, BCG locked back, and again shot straight. shoots great, such a switch trigger and very little recoil.

loaded another round, released the BCG, and JAM! disassemble and repeat. This time I loaded two rounds to see if it would chamber the 2nd round on its own. JAM! same thing happened.

Here's a video to give you an idea of what it looks like. Any help would be grateful!

Last edited by a moderator:
When you headspaced it did it pass the go gauge?

Have you tried any other mags?

2 different mags, bcg was sent to white oak to headspace it for me. It passed.

Sent from my T-Mobile HTC One S via tapatalk

Got any pictures of the brass once you got it unstuck?

I got nothing. It sounds like another tight chamber, but John Holliger knows his shit so I'm at a loss. Give him a ring, he'll talk to you. Great customer service there.

One more thought - does the bolt move smoothly in the carrier? Maybe the extractor or ejector pins are walking out? How about the buffer retaining detent - is that seated properly and not sticking out too far?

That's not uncommon with a new AR. Same thing happened to me with my .308. Lube the crap out of the BCG. Disassemble the BCG and lube the crap out of the bolt. Shoot it. The gun will break in and you'll be fine.

Try giving the chamber a good cleaning, maybe some crap is built up in there from when it was reamed out. I'd second getting your hands on headspace and chamber gauges. Also, try a different lot of ammo, maybe you just got some funky ammo.

You will get light scratches on the brass from the corners of the feed ramps.

Mike

so I broke down the BCG, cleaned it up, re-oiled it, went in and cleaned out the chamber as well.

before I did that I got under my work lights, at my work bench, and looked real close. It looks and feels like the bolt is getting stuck in the chamber.

would it do any harm if I took a dremal and polished up the bolt itself. I don't want to touch the barrel itself, as it wasn't cheap. Just a lite polish so that it slips a little easier? spoke with someone that said if I was comfortable with it, it could help if its the bolt getting stuck in the chamber.

so I broke down the BCG, cleaned it up, re-oiled it, went in and cleaned out the chamber as well.

before I did that I got under my work lights, at my work bench, and looked real close. It looks it feels like the bolt and getting stuck on the barrel extension.

would it do any harm if I took a dremal and polished up the bolt itself. I don't want to touch the barrel itself, as it wasn't cheap. Just a lite polish so that it slips a little easier? spoke with someone that said if I was comfortable with it, it could help if its the bolt getting stuck on the barrel extension.

I would call John Holliger first. If you bought a matched bolt and barrel from him he'll stand by it. Once you start going at it with the Redjacket Gunsmithing kit all bets are off.

I think you'd be better served keeping the bolt well lubed and shooting it to break it in. If it were me, I'd let the gun do the polishing naturally.

I would call John Holliger first. If you bought a matched bolt and barrel from him he'll stand by it. Once you start going at it with the Redjacket Gunsmithing kit all bets are off.

didn't buy matching. I picked up a Core 15 BCG and bolt, and sent it to them.

This whole "ARs need breaking in" stuff is crap. If they're in spec they should work out of the box.

didn't buy matching. I picked up a Core 15 BCG and bolt, and sent it to them.

He still matched them up I assume.

WOA chambers do run pretty tight (but still in spec.) I use them for my match guns and the brass actually comes out passing a SAAMI gauge. [grin]

He still matched them up I assume.

WOA chambers do run pretty tight (but still in spec.) I use them for my match guns and the brass actually comes out passing a SAAMI gauge. [grin]

I assume as well.

The rounds that did go down range, I was extremely happy with.

flintoid said:
so you polished your WOA chamber until it headspaced?

Sounds like John Holliger makes a great product.

****ing dipshits.

He does. I don't see how a new builder's first built attempt reflects on Holliger's quality. He's chambered more match winning AR barrels than most. I may be a dipshit but he's not.

****ing dipshits.

didn't touch the WOA chamber. I dismantled the BCG and cleaned the shit out of that. Took it back to the range and it shot fine. Had nothing to do with WOA. I thought I cleaned and lubed the BCG, the bolt, before going to the range. Looks like I might have skipped that. First build error.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the Help JasonS, appreciate the suggestions.

****ing dipshits.

Holliger is probably one of the top AR-smith's in the country. Anyone can assemble an upper, but doing a barrel *right* takes some know-how.

I'm on my 5th or 6th barrel from Holliger (I legitimately wear them out, was averaging 2 a season), and every single one has been a friggan LASER right out of the box...and we shoot a bit beyond 25yards

glad you guys came in and cleared that up. Being drunk and posting doesn't necessarily mean that I am going to make much sense. Glad to see that the chamber wasn't "polished" into headspace like I originally thought.

I've seen some scary shit, and have done some "sketchy" headspace practices myself to get around shit parts. So been there, done that.

glad you guys came in and cleared that up. Being drunk and posting doesn't necessarily mean that I am going to make much sense. Glad to see that the chamber wasn't "polished" into headspace like I originally thought.

I've seen some scary shit, and have done some "sketchy" headspace practices myself to get around shit parts. So been there, done that.

Well if this was an ak it wouldn't be considered sketchy just normal assembly! Lol

Sounds like you got it squared away, but for future reference, when you have a feed problem like this check the gas tube alignment. You should do that on a new build anyway: Take put the bolt carrier in the upper WITHOUT the bolt and it should slide over the gas tube without resistance. Often you'll need to bend the gas tube slightly one way or another to get the right alignment.

Sounds like you got it squared away, but for future reference, when you have a feed problem like this check the gas tube alignment. You should do that on a new build anyway: Take put the bolt carrier in the upper WITHOUT the bolt and it should slide over the gas tube without resistance. Often you'll need to bend the gas tube slightly one way or another to get the right alignment.

Thanks, didn't think of that.

But yes its running great now. Very excited about how it shoots.

Sent from my T-Mobile HTC One S via tapatalk

my dad "having problems with that gun there?" "did yeah clean it" "did you really clean it"..........my dad proved to me more than once that what I thought was clean was not......I think your, gotta try this build excitement. you missed something. A Lot of times new gun parts are covered in a anti rust crud. It is not oil or lube. Browning's are famous for this stuff. Glad to see your on track.

Back
Top Bottom