First attempt at fried squirrel and gravy

A lovely walk in the woods. Mr Bushytail wasn't having any. I'll have to try again soon.

Same here, although I was just scouting areas for now. Saw a deer, a gaggle of turkeys and several chipmunks, but not a single squirrel, although I didn't sit long waiting for them, just checking spots.

However, as we left the woods, the little bastards became vocal with their mockery! That's ok Rocky, I'll be back. Got home and my 15 year old son says "I saw a bunch out back earlier!" Smart arse!

Is it already squirrel season? I'm in Zone 12 and I can never remember when squirrel starts but I think it's later than the rest of the state.
Silly that I can't go for gray squirrel with any thing other than a shotgun but if I wanted to, I could do for red squirrel with my FAL. Stupid state laws.

ETA: Gray squirrel starts 10/17 for zones 10-14.

Must be a message from beyond the grave or someplace spooky.
The black squirrels seem to be regional; I've seen them in select areas in CT, too. Some places have a lot of red squirrels, others black, others grey. Beats me!

Must be a message from beyond the grave or someplace spooky.
The black squirrels seem to be regional; I've seen them in select areas in CT, too. Some places have a lot of red squirrels, others black, others grey. Beats me!
Never seen one locally.....then I read that post ......and saw one 20 minutes later. What the f***?

Close enough to Westfield we have/ had a decent amount.
When i was growing up and playing little league westfield was always the town with the black squirrels. Maybe within the last 2 years theyve started popping ip pretty commonly north of there too. Definitely seen them in all the “hamptons” and elsewhere too. Really want to take one this year during pheasant/duck season.

I don't know why but I have never seen Black squirrels East of Brimfiel. Pretty common west saw one this am getting out of the car in downtown Springfield.

Looks good and glad to read that they were tasty. I've been fattening my neighborhood squirrels with peanuts - preparing to eat them during the coming food shortage.

Just finished dinner using that same recipe. The gravy came out thicker than I wanted, but I'm blaming the wife for that one. She thought I wanted it "country fried steak" style. No harm either way as it was pretty damn good.

My teenage son sat down, made a little gag noise then ate it and said it was really good. Could've used more squirrels as I was limited to the one I got yesterday, but it came out good either way.

Just finished dinner using that same recipe. The gravy came out thicker than I wanted, but I'm blaming the wife for that one. She thought I wanted it "country fried steak" style. No harm either way as it was pretty damn good.

My teenage son sat down, made a little gag noise then ate it and said it was really good. Could've used more squirrels as I was limited to the one I got yesterday, but it came out good either way.
Nice! Glad to hear it.

Is taking a squirrel in my back yard using a pellet gun still considered hunting? Even if it is, any legal issues with doing that? It's not a firearm so presumably I couldn't be charged with discharging within 500' of my neighbors...

20201111_110624.jpg

Was out squirrel hunting a little after 0600 today at a WMA in Brookfield/Sturbridge when this guy came through the woods. Heard him coming and caught a glimpse of him to my left, so I got off the trail onto a rock. He crossed about 20 yards in front of me, eventually looking at me for a few seconds, then he hung in the area eating for about five minutes, occasionally looking back at me, then walked away.

View attachment 410232

Was out squirrel hunting a little after 0600 today at a WMA in Brookfield/Sturbridge when this guy came through the woods. Heard him coming and caught a glimpse of him to my left, so I got off the trail onto a rock. He crossed about 20 yards in front of me, eventually looking at me for a few seconds, then he hung in the area eating for about five minutes, occasionally looking back at me, then walked away.
Come 30 November of shotgun season hell be long gone 🤣

Back
Top Bottom