First AR help.

EPN

NES Member
I think its just about time i added an AR-15 to my collection. Right now I'm considering a Smith&Wesson ORC or a Stag model 2. What is the NES opinion on these two rifles? What are the main "points" I should be looking for in an AR? I'm confident that I could build an AR is it really worth it? Or is it just the experience that most people go for.

I would also appreciate some other recommendations as to complete rifles.

Thanks, Eric

Both are fine entry level AR's both will serve you well. Building one will be around the price of either of these rifles maybe a little more because of the specialty tools needed. You can always find a good deal on a lightly used AR in the classifieds. The thing with ARs , is the options. You can go gas piston , direct impingement , 5.56. , 7.62 , 6.8 , 6.5 , 50 Beowulf , etc , there is a LOT to consider which is all contingent on what you will be using it for , weekend trips to the range and home defense , I would by a complete rifle out of the classifieds or brand new.

My first AR I overpaid and it really wasn't what I wanted ( live and learn ) second AR is everything I wanted , then I built one for fun and still have a stripped lower waiting to get built lol You should try and rent one first or borrow one to see if it's something you would like before you commit. I hope this helps.

building is more than buying one that's already built.

if you live in MA then AWB crap plays into features consideration (pinned or absent muzzle device, pinned adjustible stock or A2 fixed stock)

when thinking caliber, think what you will be spending in ammo costs.
.223 bulk ammo can be had for 20-35 cents per round depending on brand.
other calibers can cost you much more to shoot.
do the math.

most mainstream ARs are in .223/5.56
that's what most likely you will encounter in classifieds and stores.
other calibers are much less common and you will be paying premium for a rifle in non .223/5.56.

figure out what you want with it (your AR) first, then do some price research online.

Last edited:
Buy inexpensive but reputable on your first AR. Figure out what you like and don't like. Go crazy on your second, third, fourth and so on.

My first ar was a stag model 1, nothing fancy, just an m4 style. No flip up sights or any of that fancy bs. Just aim, squeeze the trigger, and hit your target. If I drop it by accident while hunting or if the shtf I know my sights are not going to get damaged unlike flip up sights. It is a fun gun to shoot.

Jim

Eric,

I went with the Smith M&P very happy with my purchase, haven't had one issue and have had it out almost every weekend since June.

I was thinking 5.56/.223 for relatively cheap food, and i have an M1 Garand for when i want to shoot bigger rounds [smile]. Thanks for the input ill hold both and see what "feels" better.

My only complaint is i dont like the look of the pinned adjustable stock on the Smith, can i put any AR stock on it i want?

I have a ace Skelton stock on mine. Granted I bought just the lower.
I think I read you'll trash the stock" butt stock "removing it . If I remember right they pined the nut too.

You could drill the pin out add a few more holes , and replace the pin with a bolt to stay legal.

Just remember that different length stocks uses different buffers/tubes/springs so depending on what stock you go with you mite not be able to reuse your buffer set up.

ymy2u3as.jpg

Last edited:
I've built three AR's for under $800. THe cheapest cost $650. FNMI barrels on two. DD barel on the other. DMPS, YHM and CMT uppers. Noveske, LBT and Stag lowers. CMMG and generic lower kits. One has a RRA 2 stage trigger. All have collapsible Tapco stocks. If you keep you eyes open for deals and steals, it's a good way to go. But it takes a little bit of knowledge and some tools.

I think I read you'll trash the stock" butt stock "removing it . If I remember right they pined the nut too.

You could drill the pin out add a few more holes , and replace the pin with a bolt to stay legal.

Just remember that different length stocks uses different buffers/tubes/springs so depending on what stock you go with you mite not be able to reuse your buffer set up.

ymy2u3as.jpg

Now thats a stock i could get behind! [rofl]....sorry. So if i got the Smith i could just swap those out?

I love the ACE as well (pics attached) and here are my NES budget AR numbers:

Del-ton Complete Disspator carbine upper kit & lower parts kit $438.99
reciever extension buffer tips $14.99
Hogue Overmold $14.99

NES lower reciever $100.00
ACE Stock (with coupon) $58.00
Eotech 517 (Overstock.com) $377.00
buffer spacer $3.00

Total Build with L3 Sight $1,022.84
Total Build w/out Sight $645.84

All parts will be in by Monday! A friend helped with a C&R discount at Midway. I will end up with an extra stripped LRB upper, an extra grip a useless extra stock, but we could not beat the price!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350603256.026252.jpg

Next weekend, hopefully we eject a round!

ymy2u3as.jpg

Back
Top Bottom