First AR build

So...I finally built my first AR platform rifle. I am PUMPED!! I watched some videos on building and took it on. The video tutorials on Cheaper Than Dirt were great...I'd recommend them to anyone looking to put a lower together. I didn't tackle the upper and opted to buy a complete one. The next one I build will be from the ground up. Here's some spec's:

Spikes Tactical lower with bullet markings
Windham Weaponry LPK
Windham Weaponry complete upper
16" chrome lined barrel with 1x9 twist
Leapers UTG Pro complete stock assembly
Barska Contour 4x32 scope

My only complaint is that I didn't finish building until 11:30 last night and I couldn't shoot it!! Can't wait to get to the range later today.
First AR.jpg

Nice!
sounds Like Mine. Spikes Lower And Windham Compete Upper. shooting It Is The Best Part!

Slick looking gun! Enjoy shooting it!

I didnt find putting together the upper on my AR all that hard. I chose a gas block rather than an A style steel sight. Buying the tools was a pain in the ass, but really, it came together pretty easy.

It's the right color... [laugh]

I would take a look at Hogue grips. IMO, 1000x better than any hard plastic pistol grip out there.

Also, I've yet to use a punch on either my AR lowers or uppers. Vise grips with tape on the jaws will drive the pins in without any damage to the receivers. Another alteration you can do (easily in most cases) is install a set screw to hold the rear take-down pin spring in place. It's a 4-40x1/8" set screw. Just be careful in using the tap (go vertical there) since if you snap the tap it's a total PITA to get it out. With the set screw you can change your stock without having to worry about the spring binding, or going for a flight. You do trim about 1/8" off of the spring, but that's easy.

Did you have to nannyfy it, or do you live in a free state?? [smile]

What are you planning for your next AR/build??

Where are the vids on cheaper than dirt?

You need video's to do this??

Guide for AR lower assembly

IMO/IME, the upper is pretty easy too. The forward assist is easy to figure out. The dust cover/door just takes a bit of info to figure out the easy way to get the spring in position. Then you wonder why it ever gave you any issue.

I did look up some video's before I started putting my receivers together. IMO, they're not worth watching for most of it. They'll show you the hard way (or the 'official' methods) most of the time. There are far easier ways to do it. You don't need any blocks to get a lower together (vise blocks or such).

IMO/IME, the upper is pretty easy too. The forward assist is easy to figure out. The dust cover/door just takes a bit of info to figure out the easy way to get the spring in position. Then you wonder why it ever gave you any issue.

I did look up some video's before I started putting my receivers together. IMO, they're not worth watching for most of it. They'll show you the hard way (or the 'official' methods) most of the time. There are far easier ways to do it. You don't need any blocks to get a lower together (vise blocks or such).

No but I have a buddy that calls me all the time, want to send it to him. Me....I have never in my life read instructions, just keep at it till it works. I have a bucket full of "spare" parts![grin]

No but I have a buddy that calls me all the time, want to send it to him. Me....I have never in my life read instructions, just keep at it till it works. I have a bucket full of "spare" parts![grin]

They always include more parts than you need... [laugh]

Start charging the buddy for your phone support... Or start with 'hello my name is Bob...' [laugh] and ask for a valid credit card number before you answer any question.

This

I personally did use a vise block for my upper. I really didnt see any other way to properly tighten the barrel without it.

This

I personally did use a vise block for my upper. I really didnt see any other way to properly tighten the barrel without it.

I need to get the upper vise block. I have a great wrench (one from fourrunner) that does both AR15 and AR10 work. I've put enough parts kits in (both upper and lower) that they're not an issue. I'd like to get one locally, but might need to order one up. I see one on Amazon for ~$26 (Prime, so $0 shipping). As long as it holds the upper, and prevents it form being damaged in the vise, I'll be good.

I need to get the upper vise block. I have a great wrench (one from fourrunner) that does both AR15 and AR10 work. I've put enough parts kits in (both upper and lower) that they're not an issue. I'd like to get one locally, but might need to order one up. I see one on Amazon for ~$26 (Prime, so $0 shipping). As long as it holds the upper, and prevents it form being damaged in the vise, I'll be good.

I've got one of these:

223 5 56 Flattop Upper Barrel Change Block Set s A R 12 Armorers Vise 15 16" | eBay

It only works for flat-top uppers, but it's cheap and it does the job.

I've got one of these:

223 5 56 Flattop Upper Barrel Change Block Set s A R 12 Armorers Vise 15 16" | eBay

It only works for flat-top uppers, but it's cheap and it does the job.

I'm looking at this one... Not sure what I'll need to use the tool on, so having one that's not limited is of value to me. I'm starting to help others with builds. Never sure what kind of upper they'll get. IMO, I'd rather just buy one item to hold the upper in a vise, than need to get another later (spending more in the long run).

Back
Top Bottom