First AR build...took the plunge on a BCM upper last night

Hi all,

I just ordered a BCM BFH 16" Mid Length Upper Receiver Group w/ Daniel Defense Omega X 9" Handguard along with a BCMGUNFIGHTER Charging Handle (#4) & BCM BCG.

BCM BFH™ 16" Mid Length Upper Receiver Group w/ Daniel Defense Omega X 9" Handguard

Since this is my first foray into an AR, I hope I made the right choice.
Any thoughts?

I intend to research further, but what else will I need other than:
(1) lower receiver
(2) LPK
(3) stock
(4) sight/optics (I'm not sure if the above upper comes with a front sight; I am assuming it does not since its not mentioned)

Also, once gather all the parts and put it together, how do I pin the stock (and muzzle brake?) to make it "MA compliant"?
Thanks in advance the advice!

It comes with a front sight.

Lower receivers: low end may or may not be in spec (holes drilled in the right place) crappy fit and finish. Middle ground will get you correct specs and the higher end stuff usually has better finish and sometimes more features. I would go mid range here
Lower parts kits are the same. Low end stuff can have out of spec parts. I would spend money here and get a decent trigger as part of the kit
Stocks: I'm a big fan of the ACE stocks. Lightweight, comfortable, reasonable priced, plus you don't have to go through the hassle of pinning. A rifle length stock with a mid gas barrel is a nice set up. softer and smoother than carbine stocks

I would get a Daniel defense fixed rear sight, sturdy and light. optics are personal choice, a Primary arms Micro red dot with a 1/3 co-witness is a good place to start,they are cheap but rugged

It comes with a front sight.

Lower receivers: low end may or may not be in spec (holes drilled in the right place) crappy fit and finish. Middle ground will get you correct specs and the higher end stuff usually has better finish and sometimes more features. I would go mid range here
Lower parts kits are the same. Low end stuff can have out of spec parts. I would spend money here and get a decent trigger as part of the kit
Stocks: I'm a big fan of the ACE stocks. Lightweight, comfortable, reasonable priced, plus you don't have to go through the hassle of pinning. A rifle length stock with a mid gas barrel is a nice set up. softer and smoother than carbine stocks

I would get a Daniel defense fixed rear sight, sturdy and light. optics are personal choice, a Primary arms Micro red dot with a 1/3 co-witness is a good place to start,they are cheap but rugged

Thanks - any recommendations on the lower parts kit?
Someone posted a heads up in the Member's forum for some that are in stock. What are your thoughts on it? (I'm not sure if I'm supposed to link to the members' area.)

I was holding out for a group buy on the lower receiver, but I'm doubtful that I will see one anytime soon since a few just wrapped up. What should I be looking out for here since I'm not sure what companies are considered "mid-range."

Thanks again!

Based on your upper choice you're doing great - BCM is top tier quality. For a lower I'd keep an eye out for a Seekins or Mega forged lower, those have been popping up here and there lately. The lpk listed above from G&R is great, but I haven't seen it in stock for a long time. You could do something like this:

Palmetto State Armory MOE LPK w/o Fire Control Group - Lower Parts Kits - Lower Parts - AR-15

Then add your trigger of choice. Or if you just want a standard trigger:

PSA Gen 2 MOE LPK - Lower Parts Kits - Lower Parts - AR-15

The stock is up to you, there's a few threads on pinning them here. ([puke]) I just picked up a B5 Sopmod Bravo stock, really liking it so far:

B5 Systems SOPMOD BRAVO Milspec Stock

Thanks for the additional suggestions. Are there appreciable differences in the various trigger options?

For the lower...another generous green member offered me one of his extras (at cost) from the Matrix Aerospace group buy, so I should be all set with that.

LPK will come with trigger, mil spec single stage. Try that out first and see what you think. Improved/Enhanced SS mil spec triggers like the ALG QMS for $45 or their ACT trigger @ $65 are relatively inexpensive. For two-stage, I am partial to the Geissele SSA-E as it needs no adjustments and is silky smooth, but runs $230. And yes, there are appreciable differences, but you may be OK with just the mil spec and better off putting that money towards a quality optic.

Back
Top Bottom