first AR build question

chunkylover53

NES Member
Hi,
I'm thinking about building my first AR15. I don't know too much about it so any guidance will be much appreciated. What options are there, where to get parts, where to start...etc..etc
Thanks

I think you first need to decide what you want the AR for, a plinker, SHTF rifle, varminter, etc and go from there. If you have some basic mechanincal ability the assembly is not that difficult. Deciding which components to use can be much more difficult as there is so much out there to choose from. Good luck.

Some sites to look at, Bravo Co., JSE Surplus, Midway, Brownells just to name a few. there is also Remsport mfg in Ludlow, they make some nice stuff and they are a member here.

Last edited:
And be prepared to spend money. I built an M4 clone, and dropped at least $2,000 into it, over time (Noveske barrel, Larue forend, CMT upper, etc.). You can buy a complete rifle for $7-800 at most shops. But I have to admit, pride of ownership and learning/knowing how to do it are big pluses.

Cool, thanks for the info. Where can I find out what is legal to build in Mass?

Best place IMHO is the Massachusetts General Laws. Start here:

http://www.mass.gov/legis/laws/mgl/140-131m.htm
http://www.mass.gov/legis/laws/mgl/140-121.htm

You'll also need to reference the "Public Safety and Recreational Firearms Use Protection Act, 18 U.S.C. section 921(a)(30) as appearing in such section on September 13, 1994" which is here:
(30) The term "semiautomatic assault weapon" means -

(A) any of the firearms, or copies or duplicates of the
firearms in any caliber, known as -

(i) Norinco, Mitchell, and Poly Technologies Avtomat

Kalashnikovs (all models);

(ii) Action Arms Israeli Military Industries UZI and Galil;

(iii) Beretta Ar70 (SC-70);

(iv) Colt AR-15;

(v) Fabrique National FN/FAL, FN/LAR, and FNC;

(vi) SWD M-10, M-11, M-11/9, and M-12;

(vii) Steyr AUG;

(viii) INTRATEC TEC-9, TEC-DC9 and TEC-22; and

(ix) revolving cylinder shotguns, such as (or similar to) the

Street Sweeper and Striker 12;

(B) a semiautomatic rifle that has an ability to accept a
detachable magazine and has at least 2 of -

(i) a folding or telescoping stock;

(ii) a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the

action of the weapon;

(iii) a bayonet mount;

(iv) a flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to

accommodate a flash suppressor; and

(v) a grenade launcher;

(C) a semiautomatic pistol that has an ability to accept a
detachable magazine and has at least 2 of -

(i) an ammunition magazine that attaches to the pistol

outside of the pistol grip;

(ii) a threaded barrel capable of accepting a barrel

extender, flash suppressor, forward handgrip, or silencer;

(iii) a shroud that is attached to, or partially or

completely encircles, the barrel and that permits the shooter

to hold the firearm with the nontrigger hand without being

burned;

(iv) a manufactured weight of 50 ounces or more when the

pistol is unloaded; and

(v) a semiautomatic version of an automatic firearm; and

(D) a semiautomatic shotgun that has at least 2 of -

(i) a folding or telescoping stock;

(ii) a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the

action of the weapon;

(iii) a fixed magazine capacity in excess of 5 rounds; and

(iv) an ability to accept a detachable magazine.

In a nutshell, (in most "normal" cases) you can build pretty much any AR you want as long as it DOESN'T have ANY of the following:
  • A folding or telescoping stock
  • A bayonet mount
  • A flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor
  • A grenade launcher

I'm not a lawyer though, so you should read the law yourself and ask a real lawyer if you have questions.

Last edited:
I'm in the process of building an AR myself. The number one thing I've learned is question what you read and double check everything, especially the legality of certain components. I'm an attorney myself, and I'll still get a second opinion regarding the MA firearms laws...it only takes a minute, and it's worth it, even if you were right to begin with. Case in point: I've purchased certain items that some of the more reputable gun shops in the area, and even the employees thought certain items were Mass compliant on post-ban lowers, when in fact they are not. If I got caught with an illegal configuration, it would be my butt in front of the judge - not the gun shop.

MT

When I built my AR-15, I decided to buy a complete upper because I didn't believe that I had the space necessary to do the job right. If you decide to go that route, make sure you have chosen a muzzle brake, and not a flash hider. The option that I chose when ordering mine was listed as a 'compensator' ... but it was also a flash hider. Because they are pinned and welded to the barrel, I had to have Remsport MFG take off the flash hider and install a new muzzle break. It wasn't a huge deal (time or effort wise), but it was a $140 oversight that could have been avoided if I knew what question to ask.

go to all the AR manufacturers websites and see what they sell for kits and complete rifles. You may get some good ideas there. Also, the AR forum is a really good place to get advice and ideas, as well as NES. Do a search for AR build on this site, many members have posted their entire build. The AR has so many options and styles that it can be hard to decide what you want, and even when you do so many new products come out all the time you will always see something new you like. The AR can be personalized more than any other rifle.

If you need guidance or parts contact Remsport Mfg. I will be happy to answer all your questions.
Thank you
John
413 579 1994

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom