• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

First AR Build Looking for Help/Advice

It seems weird to me to have the button in front instead of closer to me but I switched them around. Also going to try the longer rail.

I prefer as much rail as possible, as I grip pretty far forward. I'm a big fan if modular rails as well. I don't need 10000 sq ft of picatinny. I'll put it where I need it.

Less is more.

150$ for the kit lol . Loki / Matt do it its like a ak ar15 lol ... Nice that the bolt stays cold . Funny seeing gas blowing out of my hand guard and people going wtf at the range .

Why you hate them?

Just the proprietary nature of the whole system... low pro gas blocks being bitchy, can't free float rails over them without doing a lot of homework... fixing what isn't broken... etc.

yup. AR was designed to shit where it eats. it likes to play in its own excrement.

you want piston gun? you buy AK. glorious design of 1947 with piston operation. for the motherland.

Blame Matt/Loki he made me buy it .
That's my next project ... But want to find a odd variation that wouldn't be butchered by pining a stock etc .

Here are some pics you can use as a reference when it comes to barrel profile vs hand rail. Both use the standard barrel nut for the install. Both fit over a pin/welded comp. Both of these barrels has a FSB which I trimmed down since I decided to go free float rail AFTER the comps were pinned so I couldn't swap out the gas block with a low profile one.

14.5' barrel + pinned comp with 11" Troy Bravo Rail
IMG_2361_zps33de2d39.jpg

16" barrel + pinned comp with 13" Troy Alpha Rail
IMG_2362_zps3747a6d5.jpg

Side by side:
IMG_2391_zpsbcaf3ffc.jpg

Last edited:
To me it almost seems like it is too short. Here is an example of what it looks like. Most of the pictures I have seen, the barrel is smooth after the handguard up until the muzzle attachment.

View attachment 76182

You could always either buy a longer handguard or swap the barrel out for one without the M203 mounting notch. Keep the barrel as a spare or have holes drilled for an A2 front sight and make an M4 knockoff.

I swapped what I had for the rifle length light weight YHM free float rail. I how it looks with the longer rail. I took out the firing pin and popped a mag in just to cycle it. The bolt is very sticky.

Where is it hanging up? Closed, open, part-way?

After some searching, I realized you aren't supposed to try to cycle without a firing pin, as the firing pin keeps the cam pin in line. I think that's why it was getting stuck. It's still not as smooth as my S&W sport, but I am not too worried about it right now.

Back
Top Bottom