• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

First AR-15 build

So i just bought a Stag Arms stripped lower which will be my first AR!! I'm very excited about it and i'm trying to bounce a couple ideas around.

I would like to build one with more modern tech without making some mall ninja thing. I was thinking about maybe a gas piston upper and perhaps a hydraulic buffer.

I've looked around on the site and from what I gather the piston uppers are made in no particular standard design so that presents one hurdle there. If i do decide to go with it, whos do i use?

The opinions on piston uppers seem to be rather evenly split as well. Many people think they aren't worth the money and the fact that they are not built to a standard may present difficulty in the future if a standard does become accepted. The positive I've heard is that it supposedly makes it more reliable and possibly easier to clean(?) The last one I think i read a small blurb about so i'm not sure about that. I dont have a problem spending the money so that's not an issue. I'm very interested in having new technology as long as it works.

The hydraulic buffer i think i'm going to get regardless. My understanding is that it mostly eliminates the "sproing" noise your typical AR has and i don't want that. It seems like a no-brainer to me unless there is something i am unaware of that may reduce performance. (I've heard that they reduce the fire rate of full auto but this will be semi of course)

I will gladly hear any other suggestions or ideas for new tech that i could implement into this build without it turning into some mall ninja thing.

Here is my opinion, get neither.

The AR wasn't designed to gun on a piston. Since there are not rails or channel for the BCG to run on, you get bolt tilt. Adding extra material to the BCG is just a band-aid and not does not fix the problem, you will get extra wear to the BCG and buffer tube.

Also DI pushes the bolt forward and BCG group backwards, this helps the bolt to unlock and prevents wear. With the Piston, bolt is pulled against the locking lugs as it trys to turn. causing more wear.

You don't want the Sproing. put grease on the buffere spring.

Back
Top Bottom