First AR-15 Build!

Nice.....the wrench tysdad linked is awesome.
Although a few good taps with a brass drift and then stake the castle nut should be good enough.

If your eyes are still good get some A2 style sights on that thing.
The RRA or white oak detach NM handle is nice.

I am not a big fan of the AR in general, although it's versatile nature and better than average accuracy you can get for short money lends itself to enjoying them.

Thanks. Ya I'll probably get some A2 sights eventually. I just had this scope laying around snd figured I'd throw it on.

I never really hated ARs I just enjoyed my SKS, AK, and Garand so much I never considered an AR until recently.

Update:

Got the Delton pin and C clip today. It was tricky trying to clamp/force that C clip onto the pin. Once I had it lined up on the groove, I used a brass punch to "punch" it into the groove. I should be good to go now.
View attachment 153108

What is that grease stuff ? Something on the barrel nut?

Great thread, very helpful! OP, nice build, thanks for the motivation to get started on my own.

Thanks. Ya I was surprised at how cheap you can build a pretty good quality AR. I have just a tad over $750 into this build which isn't much more than buying a basic M&P Sport.

- - - Updated - - -

I dont know what it is, I usually wipe them down completely before I put it on. I'm betting that shit is going to get all over the gun once it gets hot though.

Yeah I honestly forgot about the grease and shot it last weekend with it still on [laugh]. But it probably wouldn't hurt to clean it off...

I'm not that familiar with the platform but I do want one, so I figure the best way to get to know is to build one. Going to get started after the holidays.

Same here as this is my 4th Also, I have all parts to go 2 more but finding a complete upper is not easy as all the ones I had on a list are sold out.

Midstate have any you like? I thought they still had a bunch in stock.

Be careful. They are like rabbits. My one turned into 4 real quick.

i had 11 builds at one point...even during obama sales II I still managed to build some for normal prices. Careful if you really dont know "why" your building something you might get stuck.
I built a 204 ruger 24" heavy bull barrel...completely ****ing useless to me. I did manage it to sell it though to a ground hog hunter. I also built a clone of the SW perfomance center Target model again with a 24" heavy barrel. I managed to sell or trade off all but three...but wouldnt you know it. I keep coming across parts that beg to be built out! I have a armalite National Match A2 upper thats wanting to be built out to pass CMP mondern Military Match rules...

Not from what I am hearing and I have spoken to a friend of mine that works at ILM (industrial Light and Magic). He couldn't reveal too much or even tell me the things he worked on yet but he did say there is a big twist but Luke is not Kylo Ren! He is more of a wizard.

Not from what I am hearing and I have spoken to a friend of mine that works at ILM (industrial Light and Magic). He couldn't reveal too much or even tell me the things he worked on yet but he did say there is a big twist but Luke is not Kylo Ren! He is more of a wizard.
Cool story

Sent from my 6045I using Tapatalk

I did mine this summer and have been having a good time shooting and messing with it. Just added the iron back up sights.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1450712472951.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1450712472951.jpg
    163.2 KB · Views: 50
I did mine this summer and have been having a good time shooting and messing with it. Just added the iron back up sights.

Nicely done neil! I really should have backup sights myself. I'll have to add that to the list...

AR.gif was thinking of building a upper something like this next then slap the eotech i have collecting dust on it.

I own one but would love to build one. Interested in building with another person or persons who also want a new build...preferably at least 1 person that knows much more than I do! Anyone interested in doing a build within 30 mins of Haverhill, MA / Salem, NH?

Thanks for posting, I have replied to that thread but still waiting on a date and time. Also - sounds like more of a 1 time event. I would like to get together a few times with a few people to work on a build. Unless of course the goal is to put it all together in under an hour. Would like to learn more as I go - witnessing slightly different different builds and parts and the associated potential frustrations associated with each.

Thanks for posting, I have replied to that thread but still waiting on a date and time. Also - sounds like more of a 1 time event. I would like to get together a few times with a few people to work on a build. Unless of course the goal is to put it all together in under an hour. Would like to learn more as I go - witnessing slightly different different builds and parts and the associated potential frustrations associated with each.

There's not much frustrating about it unless you ignore some basic directions. Like proper suport when pinning the trigger guard to avoid breaking the receiver ear off. Using brass drifts instead of steel and proper tools.

You best bet is try to find people that will let you shoot their stuff. Figure out what you want out of the platform. I wasted a lot of time and money building a few that where useless to me and never shot them. If you buy decent stuff you can recoup your money better than buying the cheapest stuff.
A good barrel goes a long way if your interested in shooting small groups vs just torso blasting with a red dot.

You best bet is try to find people that will let you shoot their stuff. Figure out what you want out of the platform. I wasted a lot of time and money building a few that where useless to me and never shot them. If you buy decent stuff you can recoup your money better than buying the cheapest stuff.
A good barrel goes a long way if your interested in shooting small groups vs just torso blasting with a red dot.

Thanks for the advice - that makes great sense.

Thanks for the advice - that makes great sense.

I used this on my very first AR lower build. I found it to be very good. no fancy tools needed. I literally put mine together sitting on the floor with basic tools from the kitchen tool draw. I later made some basic tools to help speed up assembly.
https://www.ar15.com/content/guides/assembly/lower/

google front take down pin install with clevis pin for 1.50$ specialty tool. here found it quick enough

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom