First AR-15 Build!

DW357

NES Member
Well I finally (after having my LTC for 6 years) built/assembled my first AR. Never too late right??

So I have:
-Midstate firearms 16" stainless 1/8 Wylde barrel with Midwest Industries 12" rail
-Anderson lower w/LPK
-Velocity 3lb trigger (incredible trigger BTW)
-Magpul MOE grip and stock
-Anderson buffer tube
-Aimsurplus niB-X BCG and charging handle
-Nikon Prostaff 3-9x40 scope
-PWS muzzle brake

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1449452055.393149.jpg

I was up until 3am this morning putting it together since I wanted to make sure I could shoot it today which I did. I forgot paper targets but I was shooting my 8" steel at 120 yards with wolf gold 55 gr and judging by the marks on the plate, it was shooting pretty tight groups.

Issues I've had so far was the dust cover hinge pin walking out under recoil. Seems like Midstate doesn't put a C clip on the pin to keep it from moving. There's also no groove on the pin to install a C clip so I may need to order a new pin and clip.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1449452179.003306.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1449452188.156024.jpg

Also the pivot pin is a bitch to remove without a punch. It doesn't take much force with a punch but it definitely can't be done by hand it seems. Might need to be polished or filed?

Lastly I need to get a buffer tube wrench or whatever it's called to tighten down the castle nut. I just used plyers to tighten it which started to loosen up at the range today. That might explain why some of my shot groups started to go downhill at the end of my shooting session.

I need to get a decent case too. Recommendations?

Last edited:
You can swing by and grab my castle nut wrench whenever. Or just bring the lower by and I'll snug it for you. Nice build.

These have worked great. Sometimes Walmart has them in store for under 70 bucks
91faeb50b149e11e5dcdf52f53724f0f.jpg

On a first build, IRONS or GTFO [laugh]

Still nice though, good job.

Haha thanks. Well I had the scope laying around from when I sold my Henry Big Boy and figured why not?

- - - Updated - - -

These have worked great. Sometimes Walmart has them in store for under 70 bucks
91faeb50b149e11e5dcdf52f53724f0f.jpg

Cool I'll check that out. Thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

I just ordered a new ejection port cover pin and C clip from DelTon. They shipped same day! Seems like a good company.

congrats andrew. i have a castle nut wrench if you wanna borrow it. let me know if youre going to any idpa shoots and ill bring it

is that pin walking out because the retention clip is missing? sounds like you've spotted that--also did you install it backwards if you say there's no groove?

yX5pMMc.jpg

that's literally the only thing that could be causing your problem.

is that pin walking out because the retention clip is missing? sounds like you've spotted that--also did you install it backwards if you say there's no groove?

yX5pMMc.jpg

that's literally the only thing that could be causing your problem.

This was a complete upper I bought so I didn't touch anything other than attaching it to the lower [laugh]

But after I took out the pin and did some reading on AR15.com, it appears the pin from Midstate doesn't have a groove or a retention clip.
You'll also notice that the pin isn't much longer than the length of the dust cover itself. Every other dust cover pin I've seen online (like the one in the photo you've attached, is longer than the dust cover).
I should have the new delton clip and pin later this week. Hopefully that solves the problem.

This was a complete upper I bought so I didn't touch anything other than attaching it to the lower [laugh]

But after I took out the pin and did some reading on AR15.com, it appears the pin from Midstate doesn't have a groove or a retention clip.
You'll also notice that the pin isn't much longer than the length of the dust cover itself. Every other dust cover pin I've seen online (like the one in the photo you've attached, is longer than the dust cover).
I should have the new delton clip and pin later this week. Hopefully that solves the problem.

if you bought a complete upper i'd be up the ass of the manufacturer demanding they make it right.

if you bought a complete upper i'd be up the ass of the manufacturer demanding they make it right.

Yeah I'm not really sure why I didn't contact Midstate. The parts didn't cost very much ($4), but I still shouldn't be spending any amount of money.

Update:

Got the Delton pin and C clip today. It was tricky trying to clamp/force that C clip onto the pin. Once I had it lined up on the groove, I used a brass punch to "punch" it into the groove. I should be good to go now.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1449712779.563373.jpg

Nice.....the wrench tysdad linked is awesome.
Although a few good taps with a brass drift and then stake the castle nut should be good enough.

If your eyes are still good get some A2 style sights on that thing.
The RRA or white oak detach NM handle is nice.

I am not a big fan of the AR in general, although it's versatile nature and better than average accuracy you can get for short money lends itself to enjoying them.

Back
Top Bottom