First AR-15 Build...Last of the parts on the way.

WanMan99

NES Life Member
NES Member
So I have been slowly acquiring all the necessary parts for my first build. I placed the last (hopefully) batch of items on order tonight. Here is what I have so far.
NES 2012 lower (YHM)
RRA LPK
Magpul 6 position collapsing stock (will pin it when I determine the correct length) commercial version.
PSA 14.7'' Hammer-forged, Mid-length, Light Profile Upper with Compensator (to bring it up to 16") with 1/7 twist
Stag Diamond quad versa rail
BCM stainless BCG and medium size charging handle
Hogue enhanced pistol grip
Cheap $6.00 stock tool

Question, am I forgetting anything (I know I will need optics and/or buis... besides that)?
I am specifically wondering if I need any special punches or tools for roll pins (I have never assebled a lower so I will be watching youtube videos to get through the process). Any suggestions/recommendations are appreciated.

You will need roll pin punches, at the least a cheap set from harbor freight.

Did the stock you ordered come with a buffer tube, buffer, spring, end plate and castle nut?

STOCK HARDWARE KIT-2.jpg

Last edited:
You will need roll pin punches, at the least a cheap set from harbor freight.

Did the stock you ordered come with a buffer tube, buffer, spring, end plate and castle nut?

View attachment 33396

Yes, I ordered the kit that listed out those items and I made sure it was a commercial size tube and not military.
Thanks for the info on the punch set. I had read a few articles that mentioned it but I wasn't sure if it was required or optional.

So, the learning curve continues. The upper I bought did not come with a bcg or charging handle. No problem, I'll just buy them seperately. So I decide to get a nice FailZero BCG and BCM VLtor handle. Handle is great, Bolt Carrier Group is just that... No Bolt included (wish I knew that before I ordered)... Damn ($159.00 for a BCG with no bolt) So I plop down another $100 for a FailZero Bolt, firing pin and firing pin retaining pin. Excellent right? No, I did not realize I needed a Bolt Cam Pin as well.... Endless list of parts for what should be the easiest part of the build.
Definite learning curve, also I was starting to get impatient and should have backed off and researched thoruoghly before ordering again and again. At least the BCG has the gas check key...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom