• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

First AK build

headednorth

NES Member
Ive been thinking for a while now of attempting an AK build, been watching vids, reading, etc. Started looking at parts kits, barrels, jigs and Im trying to get a handle on all the variations.

From what I understand, underfolders, sidefolders and fixed stock receivers will have differences due to the need of the folding mechanism. Aside from that, how interchangable are these parts kit, receiver, barrel, jig combinations? I recall seeing a jig that stated it would work for Polish receivers. Does that mean it wont work for a Bulgarian or some other type? Ive seen Polish barrels listed as 1970 and 1975. Does this make a difference which receiver they can be installed in? Am I making too much of this? Im just trying to avoid buying a bunch of stuff and finding out I have the wrong barrel or the parts kit is incompatible with the receiver or whatever.

Im looking to build a fixed stock AK starting with an 80% receiver. I dont really have a preference for one country of origin vs another or even know if there's any real difference. Im handy and I'd say mechanically inclined even though I have no actual machine shop experience. The process looks like something I'd enjoy doing. Not looking to save a buck as it seems that the price of the kit and barrel is about the same as an entry level finished rifle.

So, can I just pick up any fixed stock receiver and any fixed stock parts kit (as long as I dont end up with a bulged trunnion one and not the other) and a barrel in the matching caliber and go to work? Are the jigs pretty much universal? Ive got a bunch of questions and Im still reading up but the variety of parts is confusing to be honest. Maybe Im making it harder than it is.

From experience:

Unless you are going to build a "bunch" of AKs or supply the tools for others at a build party and maybe get a couple of bucks to defray the cost, just gearing up with tooling will cost you way more than buying a new gun. (not trying to discourage building, just letting you know ahead of time its not cheap if you plan on jigging things up with all the fine tools out there)
I understand the desire to build from an 80%, but for a first build I highly recommend a NODAK SPUD receiver for what ever particular parts kit you get. NOTE: Check NODAK's inventory for in stock items or you could be waiting months if you want to buy one.

I also recommend that you find and attend a build party, even if you have to travel a bit to get to it. If you have your parts by that time all the better. You will learn a lot just by watching someone experienced with building and you'll be less likely to make mistakes on your build....and probably have all the tools there that you'll need to complete it in a couple of hours.

Speaking of building, I was just out in the shop drilling the front trunnion holes on a NODAK rec. for a Romanian underfolder (using a Romy G kit, with new rear underfolder trunnion and new folding stock. Will be riveting and pressing the barrel probably tomorrow.....its raining for the next couple of days here so a good time to build.

Last edited by a moderator:
All of the side folders that I built were identical to fixed stocks with the exception of the stock itself. That is to say, I can remove the Egyptian crutch stock or Polish side folder and replace with a traditional wood stock - they use the same rear trunnion.

Underfolders are a different animal, and some side folders as well.

These days, it is definitely cheaper to buy than build, but building is fun.

ETA - I was able to build 5 functional AKs with no experience and minimal tooling, but I failed miserably at getting an 80% AK receiver to work. It is much harder than finishing an 80% AR receiver.

Last edited:
Finished receiver is probably a good idea for the first build. Looks harder to eff that up and end up stuck at square one as opposed to an 80%. I spent an hour or so bouncing around online and I figure the cost of the parts, receiver, tooling, barrel, accessories, etc would run around $1300-$1400. Really, I just caught the build bug and think it would be a fun project. If I just wanted another AK, I know its a hell of a lot cheaper to just go buy one.

Build party sounds like a good idea as well, as you said even if I dont have everything I'd probably gain a lot just watching and listening.

@mclina- Surprised to hear about the sidefolders. It seems like they have some extra notches cut out at the back end. I assumed different rear trunions as well. What was the problem with the 80%?

@mclina- Surprised to hear about the sidefolders. It seems like they have some extra notches cut out at the back end. I assumed different rear trunions as well. What was the problem with the 80%?

My problem with the 80% AK receivers was with my ability to weld in the rails. I just couldn't get them to stay put, but I am a crap welder.

Here is a shot of the four Maadis, three crutches and one fixed. They all have identical receivers and trunnions. There are other types of side folders which are more pleasant to shoot than these torture devices.
AKs002_zpsfb289679.jpg.html]
AKs002_zpsfb289679.jpg
[/URL]

Last edited:
I would like to buy all the shit to put one together also but figured a 400-500 parts kit then 100 for barrel and 100 for receiver then cerekote or rattle can I figured not worth it when you can buy a Polish for 870, a Romanian for 600 . But if you do Have fun and def post up pics when done if u decide. Oh and if your looking for a unfinished new stamped furniture set I'll be posting a few sets on the weekend I have for sale. 49.00 per set.All look like this. View attachment 152201 View attachment 152202

Last edited:
80% receivers are not that bad if you have two things...A good jig for drilling the holes and a proficiency in welding for the rails. The rails are made to be spot welded on but given the cost of a spot welder and the correct electrodes to fit in the receiver. I plug weld mine using a jig I got off ebay years ago to locate the rails.. If you cant weld and don't have jigs I would stay away from the 80% Receivers...

i am interested in building as I would like customize the crap out of the rifle and would hate to pay for a complete rifle only to strip alot of the parts off of it. im intrigued by the psa barrelled ak recievers (currently out of stock) but hope to pick one up in the near future (should they become available)

New England armory will be hosting build party's . We are getting a pretty slick rivet and barrel jig soon . We will post details once we get all the tools lined up. But feel free to contact us.

Stay away from the psa stuff I've heard horrible things about them . Bad head space etc.

Depending on a few things 7.62 are cheaper to build because of parts kits right now.
You can build a basic akm (stamped 7.62) for around 400$
If you hunt around for deals.
The German parts kits are big money like 5-600$ but is its own special snow flake.

Parts kits are closer to 275-325$
Barrels can be found for around 60$ and receivers for the same .
5.45 kits start around little over 300$. Nice thing about 74 kits if you can track down 556 mags that work . You can just buy a 556 barrel or 300blk from ak-builder(you need to make sure it's a true 74 kit. Some country's made 5.45 Ak's with 7.62 trunnion size which is bigger)
Tantal kits pop up cheap but the barrel is a odd ball.

Amd65 populated kits are about 350 all you need is a receiver. 30rd mags suck to remove with the front grip .

Yugo kits are odd balls . Most of the stamped kits are drying up and most you see are milled . Stamped are built on heavy wall rpk receivers with a bulge front trunnion. Milled kits are cheap since the recivers are pricy when the few companies do runs.

I'm working on a mg47 right now lol. You take a ak kit and combine it with mg1/mg3 feed tray top cover or rpd etc.
da545c05bbd2e69fe8c8f59d29c71302.jpg

0449f2110a952198959184d2a9c096db.jpg

Like I said if your interested in a build party . Or want a one on one class with us to build ur kit up feel free to hit us up on our dealer section. Or if you need advice or questions on a build pm us.

Back
Top Bottom