First .40 Semi - Which one?

Jose, what happened with the 226? I thought you liked it.
It's a very nicely made handgun but I just could not make it work for me.

Even with the thinnest grips I could find (Hogue G10s) the trigger reach placed my hand in an unnatural position. And while a short reach or SRT trigger could have fixed that, I still have a huge problem between my grip and the location of the slide release.

I decided to sell the SIG because the grip that I can use with my S&W semi autos just does not work with it and I do not feel like having two different grips for similar pistols.

Sold it to Bob P and right now it is in the FedEx truck to Northborough.

Even with the thinnest grips I could find (Hogue G10s) the trigger reach placed my hand in an unnatural position. And while a short reach or SRT trigger could have fixed that, I still have a huge problem between my grip and the location of the slide release.

I decided to sell the SIG because the grip that I can use with my S&W semi autos just does not work with it and I do not feel like having two different grips for similar pistols.

In your case, you may want to try out the new E²s...The few gun shows I've been to lately had them. Feels like a completely different gun to me.

That makes a lot of sense. Ergonomics are, obviously, a very subjective thing. Like Kalahari mentioned, it might be worth trying the E² guns but those will cost a lot more.

That makes a lot of sense. Ergonomics are, obviously, a very subjective thing. Like Kalahari mentioned, it might be worth trying the E² guns but those will cost a lot more.

They were fetching about a grand when I saw them.

In your case, you may want to try out the new E²s...The few gun shows I've been to lately had them. Feels like a completely different gun to me.
I have, and it indeed is a huge improvement. But I can buy two M&Ps or Glocks for the cost of one.

I have an EAA witness Match in .40 S&W (it my first NEW gun in 20 years). I absolutely love it. They do make smaller versions, but I wanted a Match model because I have plenty of other things for comfortable carry.

The XP Compact does not feel right, too small......
The XD is looking good to me though. I need to find one to try.

I have an XDm40, and love it. My oldest son drools over the gun every time he looks, handles, shoots it, or happens to walk by it. It's a great gun, shoots real well, and for me, I like the grip safety on it. I'm thinking of possibly gifting the XDm 40 to him for his birthday, and picking up a new XDm 40 with the 3.8" barrel as a "divorce is over" present for me.

Good luck in your search!

A local shop has a range and will let me test the XDm 3.8 so I'm going over Friday to give it a test drive. I will get to try the Beretta PX4 again on Saturday and it looks like they are the two finalists. I handled an HK USP and didn't fall in love.
A friend from another forum is an armorer for a large Sheriffs Dept in CA and he has several Narco and SWAT team members who use XDs swear by them.
But what does he know, he's telling me to get a Glock![smile]

I fired both the new XDm and an HK USP on Friday and had a short time with the PX4 on Saturday.
That's the most range time I've had since I moved down here.
The USP did not fit me as naturally as the Beretta or the XD. Also, The mag release was not as easily reached as on the other two, either.
All three guns are well made and accurate.
Thw PX4 felt great but the XDms ambidexterous features, extra rds and "kit" package w/ holster, mag carrier and mag loader won out.
Plus, I saw a 3.8 that they have already fitted with a 4" barrel threaded for a suppressor.
That's my next purchase.
Thanks for all the input and I'll put up ome pics and a range report as soon as I get some time.

Last edited:
Dont know if it helps but I am also a owner of the XDM 40 (not the 3.8) and love it. Plus the XDM's already come with a match grade barrel.

I know all the Glock fans will come screaming out of the wood work, and while I respect your personal lifestyle choices, I will convert to Islam and park a truck if front of Beacon Hill before I buy a Glock.[wink]

[rofl][rofl][laugh2][laugh2]
This is possibly the best quote I have ever seen on the forum.
Rep points in bound.

Buy a Sig or an HK[grin]

Back
Top Bottom