• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

First .40 Semi - Which one?

Wild, Wonderfull West Virginia! FREE AT LAST!!
The only area club I've found to shoot at has plate matches that are open to non-members.
I've decided to start shooting to segway into joining. I've decided to go with a new .40 semi for the increased mag size and I've tried a Beretta Storm, handled an HK USP and have now seen and handled the new Springfield XD 3.8 in .40S&W.
I like the DA/SA trigger system and the decocking function to carry loaded.
I liked the Storm but the rep of the USP is impressive and the new XD has all of the features of the Storm plus larger mags and all the goodies.
Plus I was impressed that on the XD all controls are ambidexterous out of the box, no conversion needed. The downside is it has a Glock style trigger.
What has your experience been with any of the three options.
I know all the Glock fans will come screaming out of the wood work, and while I respect your personal lifestyle choices, I will convert to Islam and park a truck if front of Beacon Hill before I buy a Glock.[wink]

S&W 4006, SIG-Sauer 226, Beretta 96.

The PX4 has reliability issues. Do a search for it in m4carbine.net/forum. If you must have a DA/SA trigger, the XD is automatically out of the running.

If you will consider a striker-fired handgun, S&W's M&P40 is head and shoulders above the XD and Glock 22.

SIG-Sauer 226.....

The PX4 has reliability issues. Do a search for it in m4carbine.net/forum. If you must have a DA/SA trigger, the XD is automatically out of the running.

If you will consider a striker-fired handgun, S&W's M&P40 is head and shoulders above the XD and Glock 22.

+1 on the Sig. I've seen the same thing on the XD's [puke]

I have a XDM in 40 (even greater mag capacity than the XD) and really like it. I do not agree that SW M&P's are any better at all, let alone head and shoulders above a Springfield or a Glock. However, if you do not want a Glock due to the trigger then you probably don't want the Springfield's either. I also have a 226 and love it.(in 9mm)

I second (or fourth?) the suggestion for Sig 229. That was one of the first guns I bought, and I love it. No problems at all.

Sig 226 or 229. But first, make sure the grip size is not too large and that you can keep from riding the slide release.

One thing to note about the Sig P229/P226...Sig is releasing an updated/redesigned P226/229 called the 226 E²/229 E². I had the opportunity to toy around with a P226 E² and it felt incredible. A regular P226 is too big for me to comfortably and correctly grip, but the E² felt almost like a compact handgun. The difference was that large. I believe the 229 E² was just released, but I expect the same awesomeness. Just something to consider.

One thing to note about the Sig P229/P226...Sig is releasing an updated/redesigned P226/229 called the 226 E²/229 E². I had the opportunity to toy around with a P226 E² and it felt incredible. A regular P226 is too big for me to comfortably and correctly grip, but the E² felt almost like a compact handgun. The difference was that large. I believe the 229 E² was just released, but I expect the same awesomeness. Just something to consider.

Thing is though, Sig has a lotta different guns and only a limited amount of them are MA compliant. Kinda stinks.

The XP Compact does not feel right, too small.
I am free of MA's oppression in the great State of West "By God!" Virginia so I can have all the great stuff you guys just lust after. (And I was amazed at how popular and common supressors are down here. Shops have them right in the show cases alongside the pistols and guns come with threaded barrels.[grin])
This gun will also do some CCW duty so I do not really want a full size.
The Sig was not on my original list but I am going to check it out.
The XD is looking good to me though. I need to find one to try.
And I have two Model 29s; a 4" nickle and a 6" blue. Both 70s production. I doubt they've been fired in 25 years.

You should also look at a CZ75 and an HK P2000. Personally, I'd get a SIG.

Jose, what happened with the 226? I thought you liked it.

Back
Top Bottom