• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

First 1911

Thanks to MarkT! Met up at MRA and shot his SR1911 and SR1911 CMD, both were great. Definitely getting one tomorrow after work unless you guys think I should wait for the gun show on Sat?

I'll add my $0.02 to this fray: I purchased a Ruger SR1911 last year, and it has served me dutifully through hundreds and hundreds of rounds. I've had two FTF, one because I hadn't cleaned it (HAVE FUN LEARNING THAT OPERATION), and one because of a finnicky magazine. Definitely worth the money, though I cannot compare it to S&W as I have no experience with it.

Thanks to MarkT! Met up at MRA and shot his SR1911 and SR1911 CMD, both were great. Definitely getting one tomorrow after work unless you guys think I should wait for the gun show on Sat?

If you are planning to go the the show anyway then there is no harm in waiting. I've never been to a show but from what I hear most stuff is overpriced but an occasional deal can be found.

Nice shooting last night. Thanks for bringing your Tavor. Very nice rifle!

If you are planning to go the the show anyway then there is no harm in waiting. I've never been to a show but from what I hear most stuff is overpriced but an occasional deal can be found.

Nice shooting last night. Thanks for bringing your Tavor. Very nice rifle!

I'll probably call Four Seasons today and go pick one up after work if they have them for a reasonable price... :)

FYI: I purchase 2 SR1911s...one for the Misses...and we both love them. They just work...no jams, no drama. Everything that you could want in a REASONABLE price! [grin]

FYI: I purchase 2 SR1911s...one for the Misses...and we both love them. They just work...no jams, no drama. Everything that you could want in a REASONABLE price! [grin]
Pretty happy with mine as well. Not fancy but it goes boom every time.

Four Seasons didn't have the full size, only the commander. Ended up going to Collector's gallery and paying about $40 more. The 8rd mag that came with it is great, drops free no problem. The 7rd mag sticks about 3/4 of the way in, when I push it all the way in, it gets stuck and requires a lot of force to get it out. Anyone have any experience with that?

Called customer service - they're sending me a new 7rd mag tomorrow with a prepaid enveloper for the screwed up one so they can investigate. Also told me that if my barrel doesn't move more freely in my slide after a couple of hundred rounds they might want to service the whole thing.

I brought it home, stripped and lubed it, and the barrel does not want to come out of the front of the slide. Seems like it's machined too tight.

Called customer service - they're sending me a new 7rd mag tomorrow with a prepaid enveloper for the screwed up one so they can investigate. Also told me that if my barrel doesn't move more freely in my slide after a couple of hundred rounds they might want to service the whole thing.

I brought it home, stripped and lubed it, and the barrel does not want to come out of the front of the slide. Seems like it's machined too tight.

Look closely to see if the rear edge of the slide hood is peened over a little on its inner edge. This happened to me after a couple hundred rounds, apparently due to it striking the frame during recoil. Didn't affect functionality, but was increasingly difficult to field strip.

Sent it back to Ruger and they fixed it. No problems in the 3 years since.

Great. I will. I found a great YouTube channel where the guy has an sr1911 and his frame sticks a bit like mine. Shows how to completely disassemble and where to polish or use rubbing compound. I think his name on YouTube is nictaylor00

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awesome. I just got mine back from the gunsmith. Had the feed ramp polished, and added some TruGlo fiber optic sights. He also worked on the trigger and got the pull to 4.5lbs. Now it is just the way I like it. Enjoy the SR1911.

I live in Western Mass. I took it to Dark Horse Gunsmithing in South Hadley Ma. I've held and dry fired the RIA 1911 and it's ok, but I don't think it compares to the Ruger.

Back
Top Bottom