• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

First 1911 with a $800 budget

Like the title says im shopping for my first 1911 budget is $800 I would like to stay under, so far it is between the Ruger and a rock island tac ultra.

Good/bad? I see a few rugers for sale used and makes me wonder why already. the rock island never heard anything horrible about. Is there another brand model that fits under my budget?

like i said this is my first 1911 and I don't want to go all in yet.

Last edited:
I'd go for a Ruger or RI over the S&W. Seems like S&W's QA/QC has been crappy as of late...

I have a bunch of S&W in my gun safe. More than all my other guns added together. However I am having a real difficult time to continue buying them. The last 3 S&W I bought new all had to go back. That includes a 1911 Pro Series. I have another 1911 Pro Series and an M&P 2.0 on the way. If either of them has to go back I doubt I will ever buy another new S&W. I can maybe understand my M&Ps going back because the are mass produced to be inexpensive but when I pay more for the good stuff, Pro Series and Performance Center, I don't expect to send them all back.

As someone who knows several people working at smith and wesson currently, they all tell me the quality control is awful right now, and all their processes are simply get it done as fast as possible and damn everything else.

On the lower price guns with low margins it might make sense to crank them out and go. A lot of gun owners are never going to shoot them enough to run into problems and if they do they might not send them back, especially if it has been a while since purchase. It makes no sense to put out crap for their Pro Series. People are paying a premium for a reason.

I have 2 more on the way. An M&P 2.0 I won at the Indoor Nationals and then I was able to by a gun at 35% discount for working the match. I decided on the 1911 Pro Series with the 3" barrel. The jury is out on if I will keep either of them. My M&P is decked out so I doubt I will want the M&P however my wife has been saying that she wants it so i will probably end up keeping it.

The 1911 will be the real question. I just sent in a full size 1911 Pro Series I got in December because of problems. The trigger was not good for a Pro Series and after 850 rounds it was binding some and a few wear/scuff marks on one side where it was binding. Also I had problems from day 1 with the slide locking back before the magazine was empty. No misfeed or failure to exract. The slide would lock back and you all you had to was release the slide and it would chamber and fire. I tried a few different magazines, Chip McCormick and Wilson, and it has the problem with them as well as the magazines it came with. I also ran 850 rounds through it but I figure it should have worked from day 1 and not needed a break in. I was going to have Greg Derr go through it but then I decided to send it back as it was new.

I have bought 2 Rugers in the last 3 years and both ran fine right out of the box with no problems. Some say the SR 22 is picky on ammo but I feed mine a lot of different kinds and I only had problems with some standard velocity PMC stuff I had kicking around from the mid 80s (I was trying to shoot all my old stock first).

S&W will live and die by their quality. I have been a long time S&W guy and have some of their vintage revolvers from the 70s and 80s. Due to the problems I have experienced with their recent stuff in the last 3 or 4 years I am definitely not looking at them when I am thinking about purchasing new.

i owned a remington enhanced and was pleased with the gun. it shot nicely. i wouldn't be afraid to purchase one. only reason i sold it is because i dig my Sig 1911 so much i couldn't find a reason to keep the remington!

to me the S&W 1911 is overpriced. i had one and while it shot accurately i sold it. they had too much bling on the slide for my taste. like everything else S&W i agree w andrew that their QC is in the toilet.

personally i'm a fan of the Sig 1911. it's the only 1911 I've kept. it runs any ammo with any magazine like a champ. i attribute this in part to the external extractor design. the Sig 1911 is going to be somewhat over $800 but worth it. they also have great frontstrap checkering which to me is an important feature on a 1911. the ruger, RIA or remington is going to be a smooth frontstrap so may need to put some grip tape up there.

to me the ruger 1911's feel just meh and everyone's seems to rust like a boat anchor. i briefly owned the ruger commander 1911 and the POI was a little low for my liking. the rock islands are nice too i've had good experience there with one of their guns.

now if you've narrowed it down between a Ruger or RIA, to me that's a pretty easy choice to go with the RIA.

I think Springfield Armory will be the best choice in this price range. I would personally stay with 70's model with internal extractor.
In my opinion even their IMBEl Bazil made frame guns will give better quality that S&W

thanks for the input, honestly the rugers selling point was the made in America and price, the rest of the gun doesn't excite me anymore than others in its price. RI is definitely cheaper and I could up splurge a bit by getting the ultra tac model and still be way under my budget.

Sig, yes I know they are nice and am certain I wouldn't complain once I have it. I will see what my dealer has them for when I get there, who knows I was planning to make this a cash purchase maybe some will end up on the credit card if feel the sig is that much better.

There are TONS of good used 1911's out there. Take a buddy who is knowledgeable about them shopping and save yourself some money on a nice gun.

Good luck.

used guns. While im not totally turned off when ive seen them at dealers my thought was for a few more $$ I can just get a brand new one. I have checked the classifieds on here and don't see all that many 1911's, a few are rugers which made me question them being for sale.

I have 3 Ruger 1911s a Springfield Armory, RIA and 3 S&W of the lot I think the Ruger and RIA are the best bang for the buck. Both have excellent customer service.

- - - Updated - - -

eco ....why do you say that about RIA, have you had experience with them?

And yes that's not a bad price, I go by that are everyday, but have never been into that place.

Magnum Research 1911/1911C... I picked up the 1911C the other month and love it. Under $800 OTD and it's a sweet shooter. Trigger came in at 3.5# (spec calls out a 3-4# trigger right out of the box). Don't know if it's on "the list" for inmates of the PRM though...

thanks I will check it out.

Honestly I know this isn't my first only 1911, just my first and really don't want to go over budget as im trying to get my feet into the sandbox. With that said, no I don't want to buy something that is horrible to shoot and kills my want for a 1911.

Minuteman Armement (617.771.2174) has the s&w 1911E new at $800:

Smith & Wesson 1911 MFG MDL #: 108482
5" E Series 1911 chambered in .45 ACP

Price: $800

Actually I have nothing against, or any experience with RIA. It's just that Remington and Ruger are made in the USA

- - - Updated - - -

eco ....why do you say that about RIA, have you had experience with them?

And yes that's not a bad price, I go by that are everyday, but have never been into that place.

I've got several nice 1911's, and the one I shoot the most is my stainless S&W.
Bought it used for a pretty good price. All stock except I put a Dawson fiber optic front sight on it for USPSA.
It doesn't have the billboard slide, and runs great. Fun gun, and plenty accurate.

RIA is made in the USA. The company itself is in headquartered in the Philippines and has been making 1911s for a long time. Great customer service. I bought the standard GI FS in January. It is accurate and runs everything I put through it. That includes hollow points. I have had zero issues with the gun. Shoots great and was very reasonable.

Magnum Research 1911/1911C... I picked up the 1911C the other month and love it. Under $800 OTD and it's a sweet shooter. Trigger came in at 3.5# (spec calls out a 3-4# trigger right out of the box). Don't know if it's on "the list" for inmates of the PRM though...

Billboard on the slide is a bit large isn't it?

I will check them all out before my purchase, somewhere I recently heard that rock island is now made in the US?

I thought they were all made in the Phils. Love mine and have shot a bunch. Great first 1911 and a great bargain. Where are you in SE Mass? Be happy to let you try mine in Taunton or North Attleboro. I'd also love to get a RIA in 9mm.

Since i cannot buy the 4k wilsons.

I stick to two brands i own both.

RIA when i want a good cost vs features 1911
Or
Springfield loaded for when i want that nice 1911.

I've only seen two people so mad at their 1911s they were ready to throw them in the garbage at USPSA matches. Both were Remingtons that had been back in for service and returned to them the same or worse than before.

Since i cannot buy the 4k wilsons.

I stick to two brands i own both.

RIA when i want a good cost vs features 1911
Or
Springfield loaded for when i want that nice 1911.

And since no self respecting 2A supporting gun owner would give SA money, that leaves RIA. Purchases previous to SB-1657 excluded. [thumbsup]

18557421_1934123486809866_7812205999287392837_n.jpg

Back
Top Bottom