Firing gun on your own property

need to worry about local bylaws more then anything and have decent neighbors.

Thank you, that is of course always good advice. I am however looking to make sure that I comply with all state and local laws and regulations, so it would be helpful if you could point me to the proper Act or Statute for RI. Also, as I understand it state regulations trump local ones and I want to make sure there is no conflict.

The answers are going to vary by state as you know but also could vary my city/town. You should be able to look up state laws on your state's website where they list statues. In CT I look at the CT general assembly website. Yes I have to sort through some legal speak but the other CT sites with hunting or gun specific info aren't always up to date.

If you live in a rural town there is a decent chance you don't have any ordinances to worry about beyond your state laws but you will have to check with your town on that.

Even if you are 100% within your rights it's always nice to keep a good rapport with your neighbors. So don't shoot early in the morning or too late in the day. Some people even notify their neighbors that they plan to target shoot and that they have checked the laws and are legal and safe so there is no need to be alarmed if they hear them shooting.

Where I live it's not uncommon to hear folks shooting so nobody really cares but I personally do not have enough space so I joined a gun club. In CT it's 500 feet from any dwelling or livestock (barn or coral, etc.) and 500 feet from any road if I recall. I haven't checked since I joined the club.

§ 177-4
Discharge near residences.
[Added 9-10-1990 by Ord. No. 90-9-10]
A.
Notwithstanding the fish and game laws of the State of Rhode Island, no
person, while hunting or pursuing wild birds or wild animals on the
mainland pursuant to this article, shall shoot or discharge any firearm
or other deadly weapon within 500 feet of any occupied dwelling, house,
residence or other building used in connection therewith without the
specific permission of the owner(s) or tenant(s) thereof.

Thanks all for your replies.

The answers are going to vary by state as you know but also could vary my city/town. You should be able to look up state laws on your state's website where they list statues. In CT I look at the CT general assembly website. Yes I have to sort through some legal speak but the other CT sites with hunting or gun specific info aren't always up to date.

If you live in a rural town there is a decent chance you don't have any ordinances to worry about beyond your state laws but you will have to check with your town on that.

Even if you are 100% within your rights it's always nice to keep a good rapport with your neighbors. So don't shoot early in the morning or too late in the day. Some people even notify their neighbors that they plan to target shoot and that they have checked the laws and are legal and safe so there is no need to be alarmed if they hear them shooting.

Where I live it's not uncommon to hear folks shooting so nobody really cares but I personally do not have enough space so I joined a gun club. In CT it's 500 feet from any dwelling or livestock (barn or coral, etc.) and 500 feet from any road if I recall. I haven't checked since I joined the club.

Funny you should mention CT, I used to live there and moved to RI. From what I can tell CT has much stricter gun laws, although it may be the same for discharging weapons outside. And of course, thanks for the good advice on neighbors.

I believe the 500' rule is for hunting. Although some LEO's apply it for any shooting.

Yeah this is what I hear too, just can't find it written anywhere...

§ 177-4
Discharge near residences.
[Added 9-10-1990 by Ord. No. 90-9-10]
A.
Notwithstanding the fish and game laws of the State of Rhode Island, no
person, while hunting or pursuing wild birds or wild animals on the
mainland pursuant to this article, shall shoot or discharge any firearm
or other deadly weapon within 500 feet of any occupied dwelling, house,
residence or other building used in connection therewith without the
specific permission of the owner(s) or tenant(s) thereof.

...until now. Searched on the RI gov website but couldn't find it, but this looks like what it should say if there is a 500 ft. minimum rule. Thanks MuzzleDiscipline.

Somewhere in RIGL it says you can't discharge a firearm in a 'compact' area. However, tgere is no definition of compact area and it might be something you have to find out from your town since it might have to be something Zoning controls.

Somewhere in RIGL it says you can't discharge a firearm in a 'compact' area. However, tgere is no definition of compact area and it might be something you have to find out from your town since it might have to be something Zoning controls.

To expand on this, since there is no definition of a compact area, a case of the Clambake Club of Newport whose neighbor who didn't like them shooting trap brought them to court, however the AG's office couldn't state one way or another if the town or the location of the where the trap shooting was taking place was indeed a compact area.

Back
Top Bottom