• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Firearms Photography Suggestions for your NES Classifieds...

I would hope most of you realize that a good photograph goes a long way in a sales listing for any firearm. It needs a little of that sexy factor to draw in any potential buyer.

Photographer or not, most people realize good light is the key to a good photograph. Admittedly, for classified listings it doesn't need to be magazine worthy, but it should highlight the beautiful features of any gun.

Here is a tip I used for the below photograph:

Use your computer monitor as a light source! Have a bright white background displayed and use it to cast nice soft light across the firearm. This will often times work much better than your overhead house lighting. Try to avoid bright "hot spots" in the reflection. Move the camera/phone around to get the best composition and to avoid harsh reflections.

Pro Tip: Get down low on the firearm and tuck the barrels or handles into the corner of the frame - much better compositionally. Get a nice shot of the gun without all the accessories - a beautiful picture of the plastic hard case isn't going to make the sale for you!

These photos were taken with an iPhone 6 using my computer monitor as a light source. I turned off the overhead house lights to eliminate unwanted reflections. Some editing was done in post:

View attachment 149352

View attachment 149386

Here is an unedited (except for serial # removal), straight out of the iPhone photo (still better than most people's photos for their listings):

View attachment 149350

Last edited:
good stuff, Russ. My only complaint is I prefer the original iPhone photo, I think the edited ones are too noisy, which is what happens if you boost the shadows.

If I sell someone on Ebay I usually break out my Nikon DSLR, or my high end P&S which has stabilization.

good stuff, Russ. My only complaint is I prefer the original iPhone photo, I think the edited ones are too noisy, which is what happens if you boost the shadows.

If I sell someone on Ebay I usually break out my Nikon DSLR, or my high end P&S which has stabilization.

That's actually not noise - it is texture added in post for effect. Maybe not the best choice for a photo meant for a sales listing :)

Here is the edited version without the texture added. There is some noise of course:

View attachment 149395

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom