Firearms Jobs Western MA

Khackz

NES Member
Hey guys,

Just a quick question looking for some advice.

How does one go about getting into firearms jobs? I know maybe a LGS but was wondering what that job experience is like. Possibly looking to change careers coming soon and thought I’d ask here first for first hand experience working at a LGS

Thanks!

Hey guys,

Just a quick question looking for some advice.

How does one go about getting into firearms jobs? I know maybe a LGS but was wondering what that job experience is like. Possibly looking to change careers coming soon and thought I’d ask here first for first hand experience working at a LGS

Thanks!
$15-$16 an hour? I’m not sure I would call it a career. Unless your goal is to get your own FFL and open your own shop after learning the ropes.

$15-$16 an hour? I’m not sure I would call it a career. Unless your goal is to get your own FFL and open your own shop after learning the ropes.
Yeah not looking for that type of money lol.

Just wondering what options are out there in the industry that maybe most people don’t know/talk about

Current is maintenance mechanic so it’s not lateral whatsoever. Just more or less looking to do something that’s actually interesting
IMHO I would take that career to a state job with a pension and not get into firearms as a full time career. You could get your FFL and open a shop on the side and build up from there.

You’ve got a trade that the sky could be the limit.

IMHO I would take that career to a state job with a pension and not get into firearms as a full time career. You could get your FFL and open a shop on the side and build up from there.

You’ve got a trade that the sky could be the limit.
Yeah already in the state sector. Turning over apartments gets redundant and not fulfilling

Yeah already in the state sector. Turning over apartments gets redundant and not fulfilling
I guess it’s perspective. I’m a small time landlord (real small time) and I f***ing love turning over apartments. That’s what I find fulfilling.

Are you close to any manufacturers?

Good on you for recognizing the bennies with gov work.

Perfectly understood your reasoning for seeking something new.

The problem is there isn't much in your neck of the woods and gun shop work is rarely a profitable experience.

NH has Ruger and Sig for gun stuff. Several defense contractors as well. Even small ones like Optics1 in Bedford.

Are there any decent defense contractors in your AO where you can do hands on stuff?

The problem is there isn't much in your neck of the woods and gun shop work is rarely a profitable experience.

NH has Ruger and Sig for gun stuff. Several defense contractors as well. Even small ones like Optics1 in Bedford.

Are there any decent defense contractors in your AO where you can do hands on stuff?
Only one I can think of in Western MA is Savage

I guess it’s perspective. I’m a small time landlord (real small time) and I f***ing love turning over apartments. That’s what I find fulfilling.
Turning them over gets old quick. I help manage 400+ units during the day and then another 8 personal units on my time.

Been thinking about NH a lot. I just hope NH thinks about me the same way

Been thinking about NH a lot. I just hope NH thinks about me the same way

Come on up.

Housing is relatively tough, but the move is easy.

Plenty of towns/cities/the state can use your current skills. Plenty of private employers out there in different fields.

Valley Steel Stamp in Greenfield, Massachusetts - Big manufacturer of firearms. Yes they are hiring.
Company I work for built an addition for them, and then later another facility next door.

They make all the Colt Snake guns there, and other firearm parts. They ship them to Colt in CT for final assembly.

Valley Steel in bitchin' Greenfield. State of the art manufacturing of the wheel
gun components and a learning/apprentice program (and bonuses) that is supposedly
VERY good.

(this from a female friend who was doing HR for them (alas, she hated!! any form of gun))

Valley Steel in bitchin' Greenfield. State of the art manufacturing of the wheel
gun components and a learning/apprentice program (and bonuses) that is supposedly
VERY good.

(this from a female friend who was doing HR for them (alas, she hated!! any form of gun))
I am from Greenfield and live close by now. I heard they got bought out by a Chinese company, any truth to that rumor?

ahh.. the dreaded midlife job crisis.. I think most of us can relate... been at a job doing basically the same thing for 15-20 yrs.. bored.. unfulfilled... dread getting up in the morning... thinking "what's out there that would be fun, interesting, and pay similar to what I'm making now?"... but the problem is that nothing pays what you need with no experience... thus a career change is difficult, especially for the main breadwinner in the house... It's doable if your spouse carries the $$$ income load, but otherwise a pipe dream. Sure it can be done, but with a major investment.. night school, training, etc... to give you the experience to start as an entry level employee again making better than minimum, but still less than you're currently bringing in..

Sorry OP.. BTDT.. best I can tell you as others have said... find a new job with more fulfilling work or better people.. If you're .gov, look to transfer... if you think it's time to go into private sector, try that.. you'll probably lose on benefits, but gain in salary.

But lose the lifetime employment and generous govt pensions.

I've *heard* the machinists, CNC'ers, etc at Greenfield make stupid $$$, even when training.

Current is maintenance mechanic so it’s not lateral whatsoever. Just more or less looking to do something that’s actually interesting
It strikes me that as maintenance mechanic, you should be able to fix the machines at a place like Savage, Smith, Ruger, or Sig.

Or were you euphemistically saying you’re a janitor?

Back
Top Bottom