Firearms Instructor Has ND, Shoots Student In Face

Zappa

Road Warrior
NES Member
Gun Teacher Accidentally Shot Student

PONTIAC, Mich., May 7 (UPI) -- Police said a Michigan concealed weapons teacher accidentally shot a student in the face during a demonstration.

Investigators said the 74-year-old teacher accidentally discharged a bullet from a .38-caliber Smith and Wesson revolver at about 4:30 p.m. Tuesday during a class in Oakland County, WDIV-TV, Detroit, reported Thursday.

The bullet ricocheted off a table and struck a 52-year-old student in the face. The student was taken to Troy Beaumont Hospital to receive treatment for non-life threatening injuries.

The teacher told investigators he thought the gun was loaded with plastic bullets.

Police said the shooting is being treated as accidental and no charges have been filed.

Let's see, how many gun safety rules did this nimrod violate....
It would be easier to understand how this happened if it were an automatic, but this was a REVOLVER. Did anyone ever tell this dumbass to keep your finger off the trigger?
If the instructors are doing this, it's no wonder the government dosen't want to trust anyone with owning guns....

[frown]

Dope.

I've seen some pretty poor gun handling inside gun stores from sales people.

As for rules. Here are the first 2
#1, Every gun is loaded
#2, Never point a gun at anything you are not willing to kill.

He was willing to shoot the table I guess.l He didn't plan on the ricochet. That means he didn't check his background either.

Must be Michigan, perhaps teh water???

I took the handgun safety course in Oakland county, Michigan, just North of the fine city of Detroit, quite a few years back. The instructor was an Oakland County Sheriffs Deputy. As I am hard of hearing I was right in the front row of the classroom. He got to the part of the class where he needed a gun for demonstration purposes, and whipped out his Glock, dropped the mag and swept classroom as he was trying to eject the round from the chamber. I was out of my seat and running from the loud end of the Glock, screaming "Muzzel A$S Hole", not another soul in the classroom moved an inch. The Deputy mnaged to get the gun safe, and with a RED face asked why was this gentelman, pointing HIS FINGER at me, the only person in this room, that caught my mistake..

My favorite driving and motorcycle riding matra, also applies to shooting and guns in general, "I can not let some else involve me in their Mistake"

[grin]

Gun Teacher Accidentally Shot Student

Let's see, how many gun safety rules did this nimrod violate....
It would be easier to understand how this happened if it were an automatic, but this was a REVOLVER. Did anyone ever tell this dumbass to keep your finger off the trigger?
If the instructors are doing this, it's no wonder the government dosen't want to trust anyone with owning guns....

[frown]

Another asshat making all gun owners look bad. I can see the anti- gun crowd's response now:

"If the so-called instructors can't even be safe how can we trust any of them"

We just keep feeding them the rope they'll hang us with.[angry]

My firearms instructor swept me and my friend during class. We both jumped off the couch and ducked. He looked at us funny for a second then realized his mistake and apologized.

So what's the deal now, Soros/Brady etc are creating "firearms" instructors? Is this the new wave in anti gun propoganda- inserting saboteurs into our ranks?

Some of these "instructors" are so damned bad you'd almost think that was the case.

I don't really care what the antis think- they're f'ing stupid anyways and will make a mountain out of a molehill. Their opinion does not concern me. Antis self discredit and self destruct in front of a lot of the public anyways. F'em.

No, what really concerns me is that instructors are on the front lines of getting new gun owners, or potential gun owners, up to speed... and a negligent instructor doesn't exactly inspire confidence. A firearms instructor that doesn't know (and reinforce) the two most important gun safety rules, is worse than a mechanic that doesn't know how to do a basic oil change on a car or check the air in the tires. It sends the wrong message to newbies that guns are more complicated and dangerous than they actually are, which doesn't help us at all, and it doesn't help someone gain comfort in becoming a gun owner- because the first thing they might think is "If this guy is an instructor, and he can't handle it, then how can I possibly do it?" Bad, bad juju.

-Mike

Last edited:

me too. Most of the store people/sales guys dont have any formal safety training and if they did it was eons ago and they have developed bad habits since. At least some of the ones in my neck of the woods dont seem to.

me too. Most of the store people/sales guys dont have any formal safety training and if they did it was eons ago and they have developed bad habits since. At least some of the ones in my neck of the woods dont seem to.

Familiarity breeds contempt. They've been handling the same guns over and over for months or years and "know" they are just lumps of unloaded metal or plastic.

Others realize they'll be judged by some customers on how they handle the firearms or simply understand it is important.

If you do the same thing the same way every time you do it, you're less likely to make a mistake. Unless of course you're making a mistake each time...

Unfortuately, this reminds me of the quality of "driver education" presently being given. Thank God I taught my daughters to drive BEFORE they took the classes.

My instructor was the polar opposite of this guy, he started out with plastic guns to explain the various part and how to steady up to shoot at your target long before he pulled out the real thing, and even then he treated the plastic guns as if they were real and made sure we did the same thing.

Rule 1 is always treat a gun like it's loaded until you know otherwise, even at gun stores I always rack the slide (or check the barrel) and keep my finger off the trigger on guns before I start looking them over.

74, hmmm. A little long in the tooth to still be instructing. Maybe time to pass the flag to a younger crew?

A buddy of mine was out hunting and got shot through his blaze orange vest at sunset by a hunter-education instructor about ten years ago.

Dope.

I have too. One guy at a gunshop I'd never been to before tried to hand me a 1911 with the slide closed & then gave me a dirty look when I asked him to lock the slide open before giving it to me. [rolleyes]

As for the original story about the guy shooting his student, he's obviously an idiot. He should be sued for negligence at the very least.

Last edited:
I have too. One guy at a gunshop I'd never been to before tried to hand me a 1911 with the slide closed & then gave me a dirty look when I asked him to lock the slide open before giving it to me. [rolleyes]

As for the original story about the guy shooting his student, he's obviously an idiot. He should be sued for negligence at the very least.

The shop that I've purchased all my guns at has NEVER handed me a pistol with a closed slide. I've also never handed a pistol back to anyone of them without locking the slide back. I always point a pistol I'm looking at in a safe direction and am totally surprised how many people DO NOT when they're checking one out. Ech.

So what's the deal now, Soros/Brady etc are creating "firearms" instructors? Is this the new wave in anti gun propoganda- inserting saboteurs into our ranks?

Some of these "instructors" are so damned bad you'd almost think that was the case.

I don't really care what the antis think- they're f'ing stupid anyways and will make a mountain out of a molehill. Their opinion does not concern me. Antis self discredit and self destruct in front of a lot of the public anyways. F'em.

No, what really concerns me is that instructors are on the front lines of getting new gun owners, or potential gun owners, up to speed... and a negligent instructor doesn't exactly inspire confidence. A firearms instructor that doesn't know (and reinforce) the two most important gun safety rules, is worse than a mechanic that doesn't know how to do a basic oil change on a car or check the air in the tires. It sends the wrong message to newbies that guns are more complicated and dangerous than they actually are, which doesn't help us at all, and it doesn't help someone gain comfort in becoming a gun owner- because the first thing they might think is "If this guy is an instructor, and he can't handle it, then how can I possibly do it?" Bad, bad juju.

-Mike

+1 on everything you said.

Many of the shops that I've been to do that -- the employee clears the gun, then closes the slide and hands the gun to me. I don't argue with them anymore. I take the gun, keeping my finger off the trigger and the gun pointing in a safe direction. Then I immediately open the action and verify that the gun is unloaded.

It will be interesting to see what sort of a personal injury lawsuit comes out of this little oops.

It will be interesting to see what sort of a personal injury lawsuit comes out of this little oops.

If the student sues, the instructor is in deep doo-doo. I don't see how he could successfully defend himself against an accusation of gross negligence.

how about a no live ammo in the classroom rule. Easily avoidable. F-ing idiot.

It's always "I thought it was unloaded" or "I thought it was loaded with 'plastic bullets'" Here's a novel idea: F&cking CHECK

Back
Top Bottom