• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Firearms Instructor Has ND, Shoots Student In Face

I was waiting for someone to bring up age. Maybe we should pull the firearms licenses and confiscate the guns of anyone past a certain age? That's all we need.
Age wasn't a factor - he didn't fire the gun because of uncontrollable tremors or miss the paper and hit a student for lack of eye-sight...

He had a brain fart. I'm guessing this wasn't the first time he passed that particular brain gas - this was just the first time he got caught with a real round in there having failed to check many times before...

Any suggestion that age caused it is silly - we all get careless from time-to time at half that age (heck at one quarter that age, we are demonstrably biologically impaired WRT to evaluating risk).

Simple: You NEVER put your finger on the trigger untill you have a target and are ready to fire. Firearms 101.[rolleyes]

Simple: You NEVER put your finger on the trigger untill you have a target and are ready to fire. Firearms 101.[rolleyes]

Actually, that was not the primary issue in this case. You do dry fire in the classroom in an NRA Basic Pistol class. Yes, he should not have been pointing it where he was pointing it. But more importantly, he had a live round in the gun rather than the snap-cap that he thought he had.

The teacher told investigators he thought the gun was loaded with plastic bullets.

There is a reason that the NRA prohibits live rounds in the classroom during an NRA Basic Pistol class.

I'll bet the rest of the class started paying attention after the instructor shot that guy in the face though. This is why I never sit in the front row anywhere.

I was waiting for someone to bring up age. Maybe we should pull the firearms licenses and confiscate the guns of anyone past a certain age? That's all we need.

Mark056

No. But if an instructor is incompetent, as this one obviously is, his teaching credentials should be revoked. Bringing live ammo into a classroom, having no muzzle control, not aware of the backdrop...That is at least 3. Just becaue some guy is a good ole boy, and has been teaching all his life, is no reason to allow him to continue teach if he is losing it.

We have no way of telling, not knowing this guy, if his age was a factor or not. 3 mistakes in a row suggest it was, however.

You have a state full of mothers right now saying to their sons, "no you can not take that hunter safety course because ...."

This is the last flippin thing we need to happen at this time.

Actually, that was not the primary issue in this case. You do dry fire in the classroom in an NRA Basic Pistol class. Yes, he should not have been pointing it where he was pointing it. But more importantly, he had a live round in the gun rather than the snap-cap that he thought he had.

There is a reason that the NRA prohibits live rounds in the classroom during an NRA Basic Pistol class.

I stand corrected sir. A live round in the classroom? No excuse. Non at all!!

One, this wasnt an NRA Basic Safety Class...."Police said a Michigan concealed weapons teacher accidentally shot a student in the face during a demonstration". Two, in a personal protection course, the instructor should be covering proper dry-fire drills, checking, double checking to make sure there is no live ammo in the gun/the rounds are indeed dummy rounds...Three, the gun should have never been pointed in the direction of the Students or anyone for that matter.... Four, if the gun was loaded at one point in time, it never should have been taken out of the holster, unless, on the live-fire range, with the gun pointed in a safe direction.....

No. But if an instructor is incompetent, as this one obviously is, his teaching credentials should be revoked. Bringing live ammo into a classroom, having no muzzle control, not aware of the backdrop...That is at least 3. Just becaue some guy is a good ole boy, and has been teaching all his life, is no reason to allow him to continue teach if he is losing it. This is the last flippin thing we need to happen at this time.

You're missing my point entirely about age. A poster suggested that because of his (the instructor's) age it was time for him to pack it in, in the context of a categorical statement and implying that after a certain age one is no longer competent to teach...across the board. Age as it relates to competency with regard to mental and physiological ability may be a factor in this case, but this case must be judged solely on its own merits.

Learn to be a little more critical reader whippersnapper or us old farts might might smack ya one on the side of the head with our canes or run ya over in our Oldsmobiles or Buicks if we can see where we are going, anyway [wink]

Mark056

Learn to be a little more critical reader whippersnapper or us old farts might might smack ya one on the side of the head with our canes or run ya over in our Oldsmobiles or Buicks if we can see where we are going, anyway [wink]
Or, it would seem, shoot you in the face by "accident"[wink]

Somewhere, the re-animated corpse of Dick Cheney is laughing his ass off[laugh]

Last edited:

Mark056

When I was studying martial arts I watched some advanced black belts do a demonstration of fighting with a hapkido cane.

OMG... they turned a simple cane into a lethal weapon. It was staggering what they were able to do. And it is a device that can be carried anywhere...

Here's a link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvZE5Q51MhE

Cheers,

Rich

Back
Top Bottom