• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Firearms Cleaning Products - What brand or system do you prefer???

SSW

NES Member
I wanted to get people's input on firearms cleaning products, what is the best in your opinion.

There is an ever expanding list of firearms cleaning/lubrication products on the market. I have always used Hoppes, mostly because that was the brand used by my father in his day and I have used since we first began shooting together.

I am sure everyone can identify the Hoppes smell with a blind fold on. My father felt that was the smell of a clean, well kept firearm.

Now there is a much wider variety, Hoppes, M-Pro 7, Otis, Outers and the store brands like Cabellas. This is just a few that are out there.

I know that this is an over simplification of cleaning, lubrication, storage prep and finish protection products. I am really looking for a "Brand" endorsement for everyday firearms cleaning/lubrication.

What brand are you using/prefer and why??

Bore snake (I have never used one) or traditional cloth patches???

Is Hoppes still the king of cleaners or are the newer brands/products better and why??

Is one brand better than another given the introduction of polymer framed firearms?? - I just bought my first polymer firearm.

I have read a dizzying array of manufactures' descriptions (sales pitches), watched videos and read some threads here.

In the end the best endorsement in my experience has always been from the experienced front-end user. In this case NES members.

Just wondering if I should stick with Hoppes or if the newer products offer better performance. Especially with the polymer firearms, nothing I have read to date specifies any "polymer safe" claim. But then again I could have missed that.

Again I know this question is a generalization between cleaning, lubrication, storage prep and maybe finish protection. But I am hoping there is a "brand" that covers all of these areas and has the confidence of today's shooters.

Thanks for your opinions.

I use Hoppe's all the time and I love it. I love their bore snakes as well. I have never had 1 problem with Hoppe's, and will use them for as long as I own firearms.

Hoppes for 22 cal stuff (non copper) and shotguns - It works well and is simple easy and has been the standard for years

CLP & Slip EWL 2000 for the AR and semi-auto stuff - I started using this as it is Mil spec and what the military uses - fine for plinkers and provides sufficient lubrication for semi-autos.

Tetra (love the copper solvent) for the centerfire bolt action - I use the whole product line on my rifle, the copper solvent is what sells it for me, no harm and can be left on overnight to dissolve serious copper from say a Barnes X.

I also use Birchwood Casey Action Blaster (and Tetra version) - just don't mix between brands as it can cause an unfortunate reaction

I also use the Outers Foaming Bore Cleaner on a 22 that has shot copper plated - quick simple and no need for the expense and time of a high grade solvent (like tetra)

Last edited:
I was given a bore snake with my AR i just got in a trade. I never used one before but lemme tell ya.... they ROCK!
I use just about any spray to break up fresh powder, hoppes and that's about it.

If someone has something that works the best in a spray, lemme know cuz winchester, remmington, and gunscrubber sprays suck.

I was given a bore snake with my AR i just got in a trade. I never used one before but lemme tell ya.... they ROCK!
I use just about any spray to break up fresh powder, hoppes and that's about it.

If someone has something that works the best in a spray, lemme know cuz winchester, remmington, and gunscrubber sprays suck.

Hoppe's does make a spray. I bought online off their website. Comes in a can the size of like spray paint.

For corrosive, I flush the barrel with ammonia and water at the range. Then when I get home I use hoppes, and when I feel that the bore is clean I finish with a few patches of Breakfree CLP (I always end cleaning my firearms with a patch of CLP to leave a thin layer in the bore to protect against the high humidity here). For non corrosive stuff I only use the breakfree clp, unless a shot alot of particularly dirty ammo, in which case I run a few patches of hoppes through and then clean with clp as I would normally do.

I do use boresnakes, but not completely in place of patches. Just for use at the range before packing up to go home, and when Im cleaning at home sometimes Ill run it through a few times before running some clp patches

Oh, and I just got an Otis pull-thru kit for my 10/22. Havnt tried it yet but im hoping it will be alot easier to clean breach to muzzle on a 10/22 than using rods

....Just wondering if I should stick with Hoppes or if the newer products offer better performance. Especially with the polymer firearms, nothing I have read to date specifies any "polymer safe" claim. But then again I could have missed that...

M-Pro 7 claims to be polymer safe...

It's in the FAQ section on their website: http://www.mpro7.com/index.html

Will M-Pro 7 Gun Cleaner damage my polymer frame or clips?
M-Pro7 Gun Cleaner will not harm polymers, rubber, nylon, bone or most other firearm components. In fact, you could safely drop your entire firearm into an ultrasonic or parts washing tank. However, we recommend field stripping the firearm and removing any grips or stocks before immersion

All I know is that I'm never buying the WalMart Winchester Gun Blaster sh!t again (posted thread about how it melted my sight) ... I started using Hoppes, on the outside and slide contact points. M-Pro7 on springs and inside the barrel ...

I use M-Pro 7 which is the same as Hoppes Elite. They bought the company a year or so ago. I've also used Gunzilla. I don't notice much difference between the 2 and M-Pro is easier to get so I've gone back to that.

Ran out of CLP foaming bore cleaning so tried a bottle of Hoppes #9 that someone gave me a year ago. I liked the smell until I applied it in the bore. The stuff started to eat away at cleaning rod and began to reek to high hell. Threw the bottle away asap. My fav or cleaning are CLP foaming bore cleaner than lube with breakfree or hoppes gun oil.

Back
Top Bottom