• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Firearms Allowed On Amtrak

http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/congress-passengers-bring-guns-amtrak-trains/story?id=9290167

Congress: Passengers Can Bring Guns on Amtrak Trains
A Funding Bill Includes a Provision That Would Allow Amtrak Passengers to Take Their Guns
By MARK SCHONE
Dec. 9, 2009

On Tuesday night Congressional negotiators reached an agreement that the final version of a transportation bill would include an amendment that restores the right of Amtrak travelers to pack their firearms in checked baggage.

National Rifle Association spokesman Andrew Arulanandam said his organization was pleased. "I think it's a major step forward," Arulanandam told ABC News.

Members of the House Homeland Security Committee had previously expressed concern that allowing guns on Amtrak would heighten the risk of terror attacks like those on trains and train stations in Europe and India.

After 9/11, Amtrak had barred passengers from bringing guns on trains. This Sept., Sen. Roger Wicker, R-Miss., attached an amendment to a transportation funding bill that made $1.5 billion in Amtrak funds contingent on once again allowing train travelers to transport firearms in checked baggage. The Wicker Amendment passed the Senate by 68 to 30. In a statement Wednesday, Wicker called in the inclusion of the amendment in the final version of the transportation bill "an important victory for sportsmen and gun owners across the country."

In Oct., House Homeland Security Chairman Bennie Thompson, D-Miss., and ranking minority member Peter King, R-N.Y., sent a letter to the House Appropriations Committee raising concerns about an increased risk of terrorism, citing the 2004 attack on commuter trains in Madrid and the attack on the Mumbai train station in November 2008. The Mumbai assault involved firearms.

On Wednesday, Thompson told ABC News that the gun provision in the bill could "create a serious -- and needless -- security vulnerability, and without providing any additional funding to support it."

"This is not a Second Amendment issue," said Thompson. "This is a transportation security issue."

Steve Kulm, director of media relations for Amtrak, said Amtrak felt it was inappropriate to link funding with the Wicker Amendment. Kulm also noted that Amtrak might need to make physical changes to baggage cars and to stations to enable the checking of bags with firearms. Only 30 percent of Amtrak stations have the ability to check bags.But Kulm said that in the final version of the bill, "key details have been revised that allay our major concerns. First, the original Wicker amendment called for compliance by March 31, 2010. The final bill says Amtrak has six months from enactment to evaluate the security needs and develop procedures/guidance and then another six months to implement it (basically we get one year, not three months to meet compliance).

"Second," said Kulm, "the original Wicker amendment called for loss of federal funds if Amtrak did not comply by March 31, 2010. The final bill does not include that language." A spokesperson for Sen. Wicker said it was appropriate to link funding with the amendment, since Amtrak is taxpayer funded. "When all the scare tactics and rhetoric are set aside," said the spokesperson, "the simple intent of this provision is to give law-abiding gun owners the same opportunity they have on airlines in our country to securely transport firearms in checked luggage."

"Prior to 9/11, Amtrak allowed the transportation of firearms in checked luggage without incident," said the spokesperson. "We are confident they can make the appropriate consultations and any security improvements that are needed to once again implement this policy."

NRA spokesman Arulanandam also said the bill would only restore the status quo pre 9/11, and that the firearms ban was unfair to passengers who don't travel by air. "A good example would be people who travel Amtrak and head to Florida for the winter. They will be living there for a relatively long time, and if they want to transport a lawful firearm they should have the opportunity."

Asked if it was appropriate for firearms to be barred after 9/11, Arulanandam said, "That's not a question I can answer at this point in time. That's a question that should be posed to other folks."

Arulanandam noted, however, that explosives and not guns were used in the Madrid and London terror attacks. "It is important to remember that September 11 was perpetrated by people with box cutters."The final version of the funding bill would permit passengers to carry "an unloaded firearm or starter pistol" in a hard-sided, locked bag that would be checked at those Amtrak stations that accept checked baggage.

The bill gives Amtrak 180 days from the passage of the bill to devise "proposed guidance and procedures necessary to implement a new checked firearms program," and a year to implement the program.

Last edited:
"In Oct., House Homeland Security Chairman Bennie Thompson, D-Miss., and ranking minority member Peter King, R-N.Y., sent a letter to the House Appropriations Committee raising concerns about an increased risk of terrorism, citing the 2004 attack on commuter trains in Madrid and the attack on the Mumbai train station in November 2008. The Mumbai assault involved firearms."

Anyone else catch on that the Acronym for the House Appropraitions Commitee, the people who are against this could be called: HAC? So a bunch of HAC's are against this....

Anybody catch this? I thought it was pretty funny.

"Only 30 percent of Amtrak stations have the ability to check bags."

They are worried about security risks and they are only checking the baggage 30% of the time????

Hmmmmm... kinda makes me wonder.

Story here.

I for one am pissed that they were allowed to ban it for so long.

If anything, the federal government should not be able to bar individuals from
moving guns around on a railroad system that the TAXPAYERS SUBSIDIZE! [angry]

There's also no frigging good reason a citizen shouldn't be able to mail a
handgun via USPS, either.

-Mike

I for one am pissed that they were allowed to ban it for so long.

If anything, the federal government should not be able to bar individuals from
moving guns around on a railroad system that the TAXPAYERS SUBSIDIZE! [angry]

There's also no frigging good reason a citizen shouldn't be able to mail a
handgun via USPS, either.

-Mike

Exactly, if it was a private run transportation system, fine, their rules. Taxpayer run systems shouldn't prohibit the 2nd in any way.

I agree but they can barely manage to get my mail in the mailbox do I really want then to try to mail a gun for me?
Registered mail is very secure - signed for at each step in the process and left in a safe in the evening. It's currently the most economical way for handgun shipping between FFLs (allowed but shipper and recipient both must be FFLs, but the shipper has to have a form on file in the post office from which they ship).

I agree but they can barely manage to get my mail in the mailbox do I really want then to try to mail a gun for me?

Never had a problem. My FFLs use USPS to send handguns around all the
time....

-Mike

Unfortunately this bill is pretty much worthless for us. Nothing in the northeast corridor allows for checked baggage, and guns are still prohibited from carry-on luggage. And most of the checked-baggage routes end in California, Chicago, or Washington DC. So put the guns on the train, but expect to be arrested on arrival?

Unfortunately this bill is pretty much worthless for us. Nothing in the northeast corridor allows for checked baggage, and guns are still prohibited from carry-on luggage. And most of the checked-baggage routes end in California, Chicago, or Washington DC. So put the guns on the train, but expect to be arrested on arrival?

Do they have metal detectors or pat downs?

They are worried about security risks and they are only checking the baggage 30% of the time????
Not 30% of the time; 30% of the stations. If those 30% of the stations all check 100% of the time, but only handle 5% of Amtrak's passengers, then they're only checking 5% of the time.

On the flip side of that coin, if those 30% handle 90% of Amtrak's passengers, then they could be checking as much as 90% of the time.

Of course, anything short of 100% of the time is pointless.

No detectors or pat-downs as standard, but they've been implementing random checks at random stations. Wands, k-9 units (would bomb dogs indicate on a carry gun?). And if you were travelling on one of those lucky days, you would be proper f*cked if you were carrying. And those 30% of the stations definitely don't carry 90% of the passengers. The northeast corridor is Amtrak's biggest route.

Back
Top Bottom