• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Firearm storage

richc

NES Member
I'm thinking out loud here. I currently have a gun safe bought at Eastern Security in Mendon. But I'm thinking of keeping part of the collection in a different part of the house.

I'm wondering if something like a craftsman tool chest with pull out drawers and a lock would be sufficient to satisfy MA storage laws? What I like about this concept is the pull out drawers make it a lot easier to get at some items.

Handguns could be placed on their side, with mags along side as needed. Deeper drawers with sufficient width could hold rifles.

Has anyone considered this idea? Or even better, is anyone using one of the wheel around tool chests?

And most importantly, do you consider this to be adequate security?

Thanks,

Rich

A trigger lock satisfies the requirement but I don't think putting my guns already on wheels-to-go is a great idea. I don't like safes at all either unless it's so well built that it's more work than it's worth to open. I prefer an out of sight, out of mind, say hidden wall panels or building furniture that is really a storage area.

IANAL, so this too is simply thinking out loud. There's no specific definition in either the MGL or CMRs of what constitutes a satisfactory security device to meet the requirements for safe storage. There is, however, a list of approved safety devices under MGL c. 140, § 131K for licensed dealers to provide with all gun sales. It would seem to me that anything on this list, or anything demonstrably as secure or more than something on this list would have to meet the requirements, otherwise an owner could be in violation of the law for using a lock that the MSP explicitly approved. The current list includes not only numerous trigger locks and cable locks, but Magpul's Life Jacket, a polycarbonate security device that covers the trigger and loading port of a firearm.
LJ4_lg.gif

(I use this example because I didn't notice any inexpensive steel storage boxes such as the one I use.) Other than size and shape, there's no essential difference between this and a toolbox with a decent lock. The only qualifier would seem to be that the material of the box would should be steel or something at least as tough as the polycarbonate if the Life Jacket.

Cheap legal theory aside, I use an old Kennedy machinist chest at home to store several of my handguns and tools.

Ken

From what i have read and talked to my instructor about you could store it in pretty much anything that locks. Such as the cheap plastic case guns come in.

I have a electric safe that i use, i can get in it pretty fast.

I'd stay away from cheap safes/lock boxes though. I had a cheap "cash box" that i kept documents in and i lost the key. I got it open with a screw driver and didn't even break anything, it still works fine(found the key after of course).

Regardless, I now keep everything in my gun safe.

I just bought a Sentry XO75 security safe at Wallyworld. It has a fast electric combo lock and an emergency key. Interior dimensions are around 7" high X 17" wide X 12 5/8 deep. Exterior is less than inch higher and wider and a couple of inches deeper because of the door. It would probably hold a dozen handguns side by side in a rack, or a laptop and a couple of guns, box of cigars, etc. It comes with anchor bolts and pre-drilled holes in the back and bottom. I plan to bolt it down and then build a false front in a closet. Works for me.

I have my guns in a standing gun safe, it's old and I don't remember the make, but it's tough as hell, and secured to the wall.

I keep my ammo and mags in several large metal ammo boxes, I think they were for grenades or something like that. I drilled a couple of holes and now the boxes are locked...with cable locks that I got for free from the PD. :) Even without the cable securing them to the wall, I'm not worried about anyone carrying them off without serious back problems or three good friends.

I also have a couple of smaller ammo cans that I have locked with my old sets of handcuffs. The handcuffs aren't being used any more, my wife won't even let me use them on her because she's squeamish that they've had other people's blood on them. She's such a girl sometimes.

I'm the king of improvising from my useless bits of this and that. A sturdy cable secures all of the ammo cans to the cement wall.

Dehumidifiers? BAH! Nothing a couple of bags of rice can't do!

I use locking file cabinets for much of my storage.

I have one for my handgun ammo.

I use a some mega heavy chain (from a wrecker) and wrap it around the whole body and through the drawer handles. I have it sitting off of the ground on 2x4's so the chain can go all the way around and underneath.

It would take five men to budge it, and it is an old one that is very strong and sturdy.

Back
Top Bottom