• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Firearm storage -- outside the home

Status
Not open for further replies.
If they're all locked up, with locks and in a safe, and that doesn't allay their concerns, I think there's a bigger problem here that doesn't pertain to guns.

Based on what I read, it just plainly sounds like both your wife and daughter are scared of you.

Suggest buying a quality safe and keep them locked up (taken apart if you have to- tell the wife they are in pieces).
I would install one of the boxes that are screwed in between the studs and hide the entire lot. I would tell me wife that she doesn't get to make these decisions while you are at it.
+2

Purchasing a full blown safe is not financially viable at this time.
A very effective way to secure the guys from a safety point of view is to remove a critical part (generally the bolt on a rifle, the barrel on a pistol) and store them separately. You can use a very small safe for that.

But, if "unauthorized access" is not the actual safety issue of concern, nothing short of disarming yourself will satisfy your family.

I would tell me wife that she doesn't get to make these decisions while you are at it.
That, not ownership of a Bushmaster, it what will get your man card re-issued.

if she thinks the police are available 100% of the time, sneak up behind her, gently grab her and ask her what she would do if it wasn't you, but someone wishing to do her harm.

No need to be overly dramatic but it might just get her to start the thinking process.

If they're all locked up, with locks and in a safe, and that doesn't allay their concerns, I think there's a bigger problem here that doesn't pertain to guns.

Based on what I read, it just plainly sounds like both your wife and daughter are scared of you.

Mikem317,

I have asked both my wife and 12 year old daughter flat out in a non-threatening way . . . they are not scared of me in any way. My wife told me privately she thought the question was silly.

The heart of the matter is this . . . . my daughter has been freaked out by the images of 20 dead kids. Plain and simple.

Not to confuse things, but since the request to remove my firearms from the house has been made, my wife has been doing exactly what I expect her to do . . . . acting like "mama bear" when it comes to my/our daughter's interests.

On to the topic of revealing arms ownership to a psychologist, LICSW, other mental health professional, that genie is already out of the bottle. My daughter works with a counselor on issues of "executive functioning" delays. This counselor, an LICSW, grew up in Maine in a family of hunters. She's been around guns her entire life. She sees them for what they are -- tools to perform a specific purpose, tools that are inherently neither "good" nor "bad." I know . . . I've had the discussion.

Look, with something as awful as what happened in CT, emotions are running high. I think for the time being I'm going to lay low, keep my comments to myself, and adopt a live-and-let-live policy. For now. When things cool down, then I will engage in a fact-based, rational discussion. Although a 12 year old who is hormonal and entering puberty is not going to be terribly rational.

Thanks again,

Brad

You're screwed. Sell your guns, make your family happy, and forget that you ever had them. Good luck until the next "scary thing" appears in your house.

Here's a contrarian view.

You have, at the outside, $500 worth of guns, none of which are particularity rare or in danger of being outlawed in the near future. Off-premises storage of almost any kind will rapidly eclipse the total value of the guns, or the cost of replacing them.

Man-card, marriage counseling, and match.com comments aside, how much is this hassle worth to you? Maybe it's time to put the guns on consignment somewhere (at a mid-high price), which gets them out of the house, and re-attack the ownership issue later. No one still on their first wife thinks the answer is as easy as saying, "Me man. Me own guns and you make food."

All,

In the wake of Newtown, CT my daughter has started having "school shooting" nightmares.

This is one of the most painful legacies of last week's massacre. Even with no special security measures your daughter is safer in school than she is anywhere else. Kids are safer in school than they are riding in cars, on the athletic field, in the pool, or even in their own homes.

if she thinks the police are available 100% of the time, sneak up behind her, gently grab her and ask her what she would do if it wasn't you, but someone wishing to do her harm.

No need to be overly dramatic but it might just get her to start the thinking process.

I thought of the same thing, have a couple of friends stage a home invasion. Reality sets in quickly.
When seconds count the cops are only minutes away

Your daughter is a child and is afraid. So hide the guns from her. Don't let her or your wife turn your home into a GunFreeZone you know better. In the interim try to teach them the importance of self defense. They have the same typical irrational fears that all anti's have. We know bad guys kill and attack people and we know the police come after the fact. Be a sheepdog and protect them without ruffling them. Remember the sheep fear the sheepdog as well as the wolf. Fear stops the thinking process. Good Luck

Home Protection: You're doing it wrong (if you do what they want you to do).

Remember, the Second Amendment also mentions KEEP, "keep and bare arms".

Your daughter is a child and is afraid. So hide the guns from her. Don't let her or your wife turn your home into a GunFreeZone you know better. In the interim try to teach them the importance of self defense. They have the same typical irrational fears that all anti's have. We know bad guys kill and attack people and we know the police come after the fact. Be a sheepdog and protect them without ruffling them. Remember the sheep fear the sheepdog as well as the wolf. Fear stops the thinking process. Good Luck

Wait, IS this daughter a child? He mentions his daughter works with a counselor on something. Is this an adult "child", or is she younger than 18?

Last edited:
Just a couple of thoughts:

If they're willing to listen at some point, perhaps you could share crime statistics for your town or immediate area. Especially stats on burglary, rape, and "home invasions".

I don't recall seeing anyone suggest this, but tread lightly. If the wife gets serious enough about this, all she has to do is decide that she doesn't want you to live there anymore. She could fabricate a story, get a restraining order, and file for divorce. Or simply file. It happens every day. I'm not saying to be a wimp, just be aware that she holds the cards to your future involvement with your daughter and your financial future. This is how it works in MA.

If the wife gets serious enough about this, all she has to do is decide that she doesn't want you to live there anymore. She could fabricate a story, get a restraining order, and file for divorce. Or simply file. It happens every day. I'm not saying to be a wimp, just be aware that she holds the cards to your future involvement with your daughter and your financial future. This is how it works in MA.

If that's even a consideration, then immediately, (like yesterday) is the time to GTFO and start your life over...This has nothing to do with 'man club cards' but has everything to do with being a man. For the sake of no one's feelings, would I dream of removing my firearms from my home. I don't care if the 12yo and wife were simultaneously hormonal - the reality is: I am the head of my household and I will not be chided, goaded, coerced, guilted or requested to remove a means of defense from my home... I'm all for 'equal partnerships', but there's a line.

I thought of the same thing, have a couple of friends stage a home invasion. Reality sets in quickly.
When seconds count the cops are only minutes away
I had this same thought. Since rational discussion has not worked maybe a heavy dose of cold hard reality will change their minds. At any rate, Brad, this situation sucks. Neither appeasement nor disarming work. Hopefully the hysteria will die down soon.

If that's even a consideration, then immediately, (like yesterday) is the time to GTFO and start your life over...This has nothing to do with 'man club cards' but has everything to do with being a man. For the sake of no one's feelings, would I dream of removing my firearms from my home. I don't care if the 12yo and wife were simultaneously hormonal - the reality is: I am the head of my household and I will not be chided, goaded, coerced, guilted or requested to remove a means of defense from my home... I'm all for 'equal partnerships', but there's a line.

IMO, don't get out immediately or yesterday. Instead, have a plan, be aware, educated, and prepared.

This might not be the most popular opinion, but if you see no possible way to change her mind right now, you might want to punt. Find a friend with some extra room in their safe and let things cool down a bit. Perhaps once things have settled and this event is less raw you can work on changing their minds. Maybe save for that proper safe in the mean time.

Lets face it, they way you are storing the firearms right now makes it unlikely you would be able to use them to defend a home invasion. If a friend has them at least you can bring them out to the range now and then.

And to further Mudfish's point, beyond the noise and meeting an armed resistance, is anything you have going to stop intruders?

Well, I suppose if you poke them with the nagant, it might. :D

And to further Mudfish's point, beyond the noise and meeting an armed resistance, is anything you have going to stop intruders?

Well, I suppose if you poke them with the nagant, it might. :D

He needs to get one of those gun free zone signs.

Sounds like your family does not trust you for whatever reason.

Would you rather stay as a family or keep the man card?

I think you would rather keep your family even if your were to be a bit neutered.

Ditch the guns and get some mace and build a safe room and have a plan for a home invasion.

Not like in the movies but start with a solid secure locking door for your bedroom for the family to take refuge in.

In the next few years, as your daughter gets older, try to educate her and your wife.

If there are much worse or unspoken troubles, then you should consider bailing on them.

It does not sound like that is the case.

Try to keep the family and embark on a long term education plan. We are talking years here.

Maybe you could take some gun related classes over the next few years with a borrowed gun.

I think after a long while they will come around.

Baby steps are what is needed.

To all of you guys that said man up or something similar-fu. I can't believe some of these responses. Op I can totally relate. I am in a similar situation with the wife. Your daughter has real fears and who can blame her. I would hide the guns somewhere deep in the house, maybe take them apart like someone suggested. Tell your wife they are hidden and disassembled so no one can make them work. Both you and the wife tell your girl they are no longer in he house. Let time heal your girl!
Let some time go by. At the right time talk to the wife. My wife accepted my interest in guns but will not have anything to o with them. She even gives me a hard time when she sees me on this web site. My wife is great and absolutely no bitch, she just does not like guns.

To all of you guys that said man up or something similar-fu. I can't believe some of these responses. Op I can totally relate. I am in a similar situation with the wife. Your daughter has real fears and who can blame her. I would hide the guns somewhere deep in the house, maybe take them apart like someone suggested. Tell your wife they are hidden and disassembled so no one can make them work. Both you and the wife tell your girl they are no longer in he house. Let time heal your girl!
Let some time go by. At the right time talk to the wife. My wife accepted my interest in guns but will not have anything to o with them. She even gives me a hard time when she sees me on this web site. My wife is great and absolutely no bitch, she just does not like guns.

Yeah, because lies always work better than the simple truth...[thinking]

We're all impressed and happy you've accepted your role as house boy, instead of the head of your family...So no, f-u....

Did you by chance allow you kid to decline vaccinations if she decided she didn't like the needle when you took her to the doc, or did you explain that it was your role to decide what was best until she reached adulthood and that she had no choice?

Yeah, because lies always work better than the simple truth...[thinking]

We're all impressed and happy you've accepted your role as house boy, instead of the head of your family...So no, f-u....

/thread.

Sorry, Brad, but this is the sad truth. Either be the head of the household, or let her do it. And if yer gonna let her wear your pants, you can't have guns. Even if you keep them outside. [rolleyes]

Which gun would you be using for home defense? I'm guessing not the 91/30 or the .22 rifle. Maybe the target pistol?

Ditch the rifles, hide the pistol (with a trigger lock) in your bedroom somewhere. Engage them again in a few months as others have suggested. They believe the guns are out of the house; you still get some peace of mind.

I have an alternative idea. Keep the guns, and get a safe for the Tee Vee.

Cut the Plug...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom