• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Firearm storage -- outside the home

Status
Not open for further replies.
All,

In the wake of Newtown, CT my daughter has started having "school shooting" nightmares. Both my daughter and my profoundly anti-2a wife have asked that I store my firearms outside the house. [sad]

Does anyone on this board have any reasonable suggestion on how / where I could store my:
1) Ruger target pistol
2) Mosin Nagant 91/30
3) Marlin 60 tube feed .22 rifle
outside the home?

I have a couple of trusted close friends who could, for a period of time, probably store my arms for me. Family members are not an option. All are either rabidly anti-2a or live too far away, or both. I have thought about asking my local police for ideas but I really don't want to take that option. I could also reach out to GOAL to see if they have any suggestions. The club to which I belong does not have a storage option.

No snarky comments please . . . . I am serious about this.

Thank you,

Brad

Honestly. Tell her you have them to PROTECT her from the bad guys...

If you still must move them, go rent the smallest storage unit and in the dark of night move in a small Sentry-type safe and your guns and lots of desiccant paks.

Last edited:
do you have a safe? how are you storing them now? by outside the house you don't mean outside like in the elements do you? (cuz thatd be nuts) your wife and daughter need to understand the don't go off by themselves and that the safest place for them is locked in your home.

All,

In the wake of Newtown, CT my daughter has started having "school shooting" nightmares. Both my daughter and my profoundly anti-2a wife have asked that I store my firearms outside the house. [sad]

Does anyone on this board have any reasonable suggestion on how / where I could store my:
1) Ruger target pistol
2) Mosin Nagant 91/30
outside the home?

I have a couple of trusted close friends who could, for a period of time, probably store my arms for me. Family members are not an option. All are either rabidly anti-2a or live too far away, or both. I have thought about asking my local police for ideas but I really don't want to take that option. I could also reach out to GOAL to see if they have any suggestions. The club to which I belong does not have a storage option.

Thank you,

Brad

Do yourself a favor and do not involve the police. Compromise with your family and get a safe for the house. Even the $100 gun cabinets bolted to the back of a closet wall would keep most anyone but a pro out.

I think you need to have a conversation with them and tell them the guns are staying. Seriously. Otherwise just sell the guns.

I think you need to have a conversation with them and tell them the guns are staying. Seriously. Otherwise just sell the guns.

This, you're going to have your wife and daughter tell you, the man of the house that you aren't allowed to keep your firearms in the house?

I know you said no snarky comments but seriously, just hand over your man card and guns and move on with life.

Go out and buy a gun safe..

I also assume that you have tried to teach them about the guns and have tried to take them to the range with you? My feeling is if you show them how to use them and that guns are not the monster, they may feel a bit better about having them in the house. Most people who fear guns have never been to a range or know how to shoot them. Once they know a bit more about them and how they work, etc. they may ease up a bit.

You have to educate them, or try as best you can to educate them. You own the guns to protect your family against the same kind of attacks that happened to the victims in these shootings. Ask your family if they'd rather spend 5 defenseless minutes with armed criminals in your house while waiting for the police to arrive or if they would rather have you armed protecting them from the minute the criminals set foot in your house.

Suggest buying a quality safe and keep them locked up (taken apart if you have to- tell the wife they are in pieces).
I would install one of the boxes that are screwed in between the studs and hide the entire lot. I would tell me wife that she doesn't get to make these decisions while you are at it.

All,

1) Ruger target pistol
2) Mosin Nagant 91/30
outside the home?

Thank you,

Brad

Check out this site. http://www.match.com

If you're talking about a permanent external storage solution, I don't know of any that exist. If there was such a thing, you'd have to pay for it, and I imagine that it might be relatively expensive compared to the value of the guns that you want to store.

I am not a Family Psychologist, and I don't play one on TV.....but:

It seems that the problem is not the guns, but the Mrs., and Jr. Miss. What is the "root fear" of the guns? Does she think that they're inherently dangerous, and will run amok? Or does she think that ownership and use of firearms makes you a fellow-traveler with the school-shooting-up looney?

Not trying to be snarkey, but the guns are the same as they were a week ago.....what's the real change?

Get a Fort Knox safe... best there is... with a price to go with it...

If she still wont agree then you have a bigger problem on your hands... been through this ... unfortunately.

You need to have enough respect for yourself, your contributions to the marriage, and your children to stand on what you believe in. Your wife did not marry a robot with views she programmed in, even if she thinks she did. She married you with your own background, experiences, opinions, and beliefs. Forcing you to obey in this matter, puts you in subjugation to her, and rather than achieving compromise, you've given up a piece of yourself. Compromise requires pain on both sides, otherwise its called "dictate"... buy a good safe, put it in the basement or something... save your guns and yourself in the process.

just my (probably overly intrusive) .02c...

What is it that that they're frightened about?

Is it just the mere presence of firearms in the house?

Would offering to break the guns down in pieces, and still keep them at home, ease their minds or are they beyond that?

Holy shit. Man up for God's sake... You are the husband - the father and the head of the household. Certainly, in the wake of the tragedy, you will have to deal with a lot of emotions around this issue - including your own, but that's what men do. I get so tired of reading these threads about "my wife won't allow me to have guns", or "how do I make my family feel better about guns"...Men have been pussified for decades now and perhaps now is not the time for figuring out how to store your guns "outside your home", but rather to man the fu*k up, support your family, educate your family, protect your family and lead your household...

Sounds like you're stuck between a rock and a hard place.

1. Decide you want to stay with family and sell/ditch the iron.
2. Decide you want to stay with family and keep the iron (and they start foaming at the mouth).
3. Kick out the freedom-haters and keep your guns.

Choose wisely.

choose_wisely.jpg

How do you get them in a home invasion scenario? Wow!

-tapatalk and Devin McCourty blow chunks-

Put them up for sale at a local shop, on consignment, with a ridiculous price. Pick up a nice pistol while you're there.

Why not one of those awesome concealment entertainment centers that a member here builds.
Or perhaps a wall safe in a closet covered up so nobody can see or nows..
This must be a difficult move. But i would just hide it and not say a word.

I had a girl who pulled that same line on me. She said it's her or the guns.........
I got a new girl now - one that came with a unrestricted class A....

I agree with the others though. I won't suggest that you break up your family. My situation was different - no marriage - no kids and although it was a long term relationship, there are always other fish in the sea. So there are a few things I refuse to compromise on. This is one of them.

In your situation - either strike a compromise that you will keep them locked up - or sell them... A good gun cabinet should be sufficient and isn't too expensive...

I mean think about this seriously. What if you want to go to the range? Where are you going to clean them afterwards? If you can't ever bring them into the home then they aren't worth having. Not to mention they are more likely to be stolen if outside your home.

I would work on increasing your families comfort level with firearms in general. Take your wife to the range.. Start there.. I would not suggest lying to the family about it or hiding them from them though.. That won't end well.

Last edited:
What if you put a safe in your garage (assuming you have one) and put some kind of cabinet around/over it so it just appears to be furniture. Out of sight, out of mind?

Unless the garage is climate-controlled, he'd have nothing but rusted guns.

Came across this place awhile back when looking for gun shops that are local. I'm not sure if it is storage for people who want to keep there guns not at home or what but thought it might be worth a look if you are set on not keeping your guns in the home.

http://www.villagevault.com/index.shtml

They'd be happy to take his guns. What they charge would amount to several times the guns value in no-time at all and he most likely would NOT be able to take 1 or 2 out to go shooting and return them at the end of the day.

Rental of a storage facility (climate controlled) is an option (I did it for months during a home renovation) but costly. I was paying $85/month at Xtra Storage IIRC and that was ~10 years ago. Not a great financial choice.

Perhaps suggesting that you will keep each one trigger-locked AND in a safe might work. Otherwise, he'll have to deal with getting them to understand that guns don't just go on a killing spree . . . or failing that just get rid of them altogether and take up knitting (with blunt needles)!

If the "gun safe" compromise is not accepted, it means they are concerned about you, not unauthorized access, and you have some serious thinking to do regarding how your family relates to you.

I got my safe when my kid was getting old enough to bring visitors over to the house. It was much simpler than making sure I had the key to cabinet I was formerly using on my person.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom