• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Firearm storage options in Southern Maine

Hey there NES! I'm new to the region, just moved from Illinois, and unfortunately, I left my collection back with my father as my girlfriend and I agreed that we didn't want to store them in our rented home. What I'm trying to find out is if there are any ranges in the region that also have monthly storage options. I'm also open to any other suggestions for secure storage!

Thanks in advance,

Pickles

Get a safe

Get a safe at Home Depot, Cabelas etc.. and just lock them up at your house.

Are you a member of any gun clubs in the area? Maybe you could persuade the club to let you leave a safe at the club? Never hurts to ask.

They only range that I have ever seen anyone leave their guns at was one in OK where it was Clay Targets and they had a rack of loner guns siting in the clubhouse. They were pretty beat up and there was no charge to use they not that you would want to.

Kinda like getting a Putter at the Mini Golf Course.

Or perhaps you could buy a safe and then store it in a storage facility with your guns in it. I don't think any if many clubs offer any sort of storage for guns like what you're probably looking for.

Hey there NES! I'm new to the region, just moved from Illinois, and unfortunately, I left my collection back with my father as my girlfriend and I agreed that we didn't want to store them in our rented home. What I'm trying to find out is if there are any ranges in the region that also have monthly storage options. I'm also open to any other suggestions for secure storage!

Thanks in advance,

Pickles

...you're girlfriend and you agreed?... or....she wears the pants?

why even have guns if you're not keeping them at home? Might as well just sell them and buy her shoes.

...your girlfriend and you agreed?... or....she wears the pants?

why even have guns if you're not keeping them at home? Might as well just sell them and buy her shoes.

agree with that

I dont know how useful your guns will be if its in storage at 500 Main Street, Kittery, and you live at 10 Dead End Street, Bangor, and a robber is in your house.

Well, I don't think he was planning on storing them 250 miles from where he lives... But I don't get not keeping them at home either. I rented up til recently and still kept multiple firearms in the house.

Oh this will encourage the guy to hang out here. [thinking]
I wish I could help, but I don't know about Maine.

Oh yeah, welcome.[grin]

LOL. I should explain that I don't own firearms for home protection, I own them because I enjoy shooting.

As for her wearing the pants, its true.

Last edited:
Hey there NES! I'm new to the region, just moved from Illinois, and unfortunately, I left my collection back with my father as my girlfriend and I agreed that we didn't want to store them in our rented home.

You might want to address that problem first before you go any further with her, frankly, if the guns are at all important to you. If they're not, you might as well just sell them now, because that will be the next thing she's going to try to cajole you into doing. Don't kid yourself otherwise. (I've seen this situation all too many times and my intuition has
never been false- the only real variable is time. )

-Mike

You might want to address that problem first before you go any further with her, frankly, if the guns are at all important to you. If they're not, you might as well just sell them now, because that will be the next thing she's going to try to cajole you into doing. Don't kid yourself otherwise. (I've seen this situation all too many times and my intuition has
never been false- the only real variable is time. )

-Mike

I'm not going to spend time defending my relationship with her, to be honest with you, I don't feel comfortable keeping my firearms in a home that I do not own. The fact is that even though renters have rights, in the end, the landlord holds a lot of power over a renter. On the flip side, the more that I think about it, I feel less comfortable with having them in a storage unit that is out of my control for the majority of the time.

I think I will just leave them in the safety of my father's basement until I own my own property. I appreciate the opinions given, and the relationship advice!

Pickles

I think I will just leave them in the safety of my father's basement until I own my own property. I appreciate the opinions given, and the relationship advice!

Pickles

Welcome to the forum! I Am Not A Lawyer, (IANAL), so do not take the following as legal advice!

I recollect that you can move to the Peoples Republic of MA and bring your (legal) firearms with you, even if they aren't MA compliant. What I don't recall is if there is a statute of limitations... (Question to self: If so, how would they know? Since in PRMA it's the registration of sale, not FA?? Correct?)

Now I know your situation is Southern Maine and that Maine isn't the PRMA, but I'd suggest (not advice) you to make sure ME doesn't have some funky caveat with regard to bringing your legally owned firearms into the State at some later date.

Welcome to NE & ME!

-ed

PS: Forget Bauldacci and vote anyone but, when the time comes...

You could store them at my house. [wink]

Maine has no firearms laws regarding storage. You can bring whatever you want here whenever you want.

Don't know exactly where you are, but I am a member of Scarborough fish and game and they don't have storage. Falmouth, maybe, not sure.

If you feel wonky about storing them, you could always disassemble them and store the receivers at home and the barrels elsewhere or something.

As far as I recall Falmouth did not have storage either.

I never had any problems storing firearms in any of the places I rented before buying. Always kept them cased & locked & out of sight.

I would lean towards the stack-on cabinet in a closet and secure it to the back of a closet. Easy to conceal & easy to repair the 2 or 3 holes after removing the cabinet when moving.

Back
Top Bottom