Firearm Safety Courses For Women?

Billsail

NES Member
Totally out of the blue, my wife of 30 years and her sister, along with a couple of their friends, have expressed an interest in protecting themselves with firearms. We live in a Green town and I have held an LTC A ALP for over 30 years. My question is, are there any of the required training courses, geared for women, in the vicinity of Lowell, or in the general area? I am going to take them to my club to let them shoot a .22 revolver, and if they don't "freak out", as they put it, then they will probably persue it further.

Thanks,

Bill

Contact Lynne Dube, a Mod on here. She's an instructor and her contact info might be current on here (I think there is a sticky with a list of trainers) or on the GOAL website listing trainers. She's in the Haverhill area.

Ken Maurer is in Westford and can oftentimes be found at the Westford Sportsmens Club (I think that's the name). Another highly recommended instructor.

Is the Basic Pistol course that Aware offers the one that is required for most licensing?

Aware's NRA Basic Pistol class is a state certified firearms safety class, suitable for an FID or LTC. The Aware instructors are good people. Highly recommended.

Women on Target

There is a Women on Target event coming up at the Westford Sportsmen's Club. I can't find the date right now. send Jim Conway a message since he is involved. It is put on by GOAL and taught by women and men instructors. There is classroom instruction that I think includes the certificate for applying for an LTC. There is some small caliber handgun shooting, as well as an introduction to rifle and shotgun shooting.

The last class got great reviews. Sometimes it is better for the spouses to get instruction from someone else...

There is a Women on Target event coming up at the Westford Sportsmen's Club. I can't find the date right now. send Jim Conway a message since he is involved. It is put on by GOAL and taught by women and men instructors. There is classroom instruction that I think includes the certificate for applying for an LTC. There is some small caliber handgun shooting, as well as an introduction to rifle and shotgun shooting.

The last class got great reviews. Sometimes it is better for the spouses to get instruction from someone else...

+1 WOT is the way to go.. If they don't want to wait they could take my class as a group.

Check out here, my little lady is signed up for Apr. 2. In Medford.

http://www.mysafetyclass.net/

+1. I went to David's class in Arlington, and it was about 50/50 men & women. A few of the women had grown up around firearms and were very familiar with them while the others had little to no experience, but David was great with all of us.

Very laid back yet professional, and easy to follow.

Little far from Lawrence, but S&W offers women's only courses for LTC. I think there is one coming up in April.

Thanks to everyone that replied. It's been said before and I'll say it again. This forum is without equal, as resource for the local shooting community!!!

Bill

Does anybody know of a class like this in New Hampshire?

My wife is interested in one but doesn't have a MA FID card and none of my guns would be MA legal.

1) You don't need to bring your guns into MA for your wife to attend such a class. The instructor provides the guns and ammunition.

2) Why do you think your guns would not be MA legal?

3) Sig Sauer Academy offers a class which is a MA state certified firearms safety course: http://www.sigsaueracademy.com/Courses/ShowCourseDetails.aspx?cid=16&ccid=31 I'm sure it is a fine class, but you can get the same certificate for a lot less money at a class in MA.

Last edited:

My wife is interested in one but doesn't have a MA FID card and none of my guns would be MA legal.

Is your wife looking for something like NRA Home Firearms Safety or NRA Basic Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun? Or is she looking for something like like Defensive Handgun 101?

For NRA Home Firearm Safety and NRA Basic Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun, all she needs is herself, any firearms needed in the class are supplied by the instructor. If live fire is part of the course, the instructor supplies even the ammunition! I'm sure there's many people who offer those classes near you.

If she's looking for something a bit more to the using and shooting the pistol side of things, I do know that the folks at NE Shooters are offering a women only Defensive Handgun 100 on April 25 & 26th this year. Last I checked, they still had a few openings.

I don't know which part of NH you're in, but if you're near Epping, SigSauer Acadamy has many course offerings (basic and not so basic), both women only and co-ed.

For NRA Home Firearm Safety and NRA Basic Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun, all she needs is herself, any firearms needed in the class are supplied by the instructor. If live fire is part of the course, the instructor supplies even the ammunition! I'm sure there's many people who offer those classes near you.

Just to be clear, a vanilla NRA HFS or BP course is not enough. It has to be a NFS or BP class taught by a MA State Police Certified Instructor. There may not be many of those in NH.

Just to be clear, a vanilla NRA HFS or BP course is not enough. It has to be a NFS or BP class taught by a MA State Police Certified Instructor. There may not be many of those in NH.

Ah, that depends on what she's wanting the course for. If she needs it for MA licensing, she needs to find a Mass State Police Certified instructor. If she's just looking for the safety education, any NRA certified instructor will do.

Ah, that depends on what she's wanting the course for. If she needs it for MA licensing, she needs to find a Mass State Police Certified instructor. If she's just looking for the safety education, any NRA certified instructor will do.

Good point.

Women on Target at Westford Sportsmen's Club.

Westford - June 14, 2009
Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun
Includes eye/ear protection, targets, ammunition, loaner firearms, and lunch.
$40
Preregistration deadline: June 12, 2009
Westford Sportsmen's Club; Westford, MA

Thanks for the info, we have both taken a private class together for a good intro and we have spent a good bit of time at the range. She wants more training on handling and safety and self defense.

I suspected my guns are not MA legal as they are not MA Compliant from what I know of MA laws. 12 and 15 round mags and they don't have the heavy trigger pulls I understand are required. I don't have or plan to get a MA license.

Thanks for the info, we have both taken a private class together for a good intro and we have spent a good bit of time at the range. She wants more training on handling and safety and self defense.

I suspected my guns are not MA legal as they are not MA Compliant from what I know of MA laws. 12 and 15 round mags and they don't have the heavy trigger pulls I understand are required. I don't have or plan to get a MA license.

None of that indicates whether what you have would be a problem or not. What kind of guns do you have? When were the magazines manufactured? Prior to 9/14/1994 or after?

If the guns you are talking about are pistols, then the guns themselves are fine, but the large capacity magazines would have to be pre-ban (manufactured prior to 9/14/1994). The guns would be fine with 10 round magazines.

The issues of "mass compliance" and weight of trigger pull refer to what a dealer can sell, not what you can possess.

Thanks for the clarification M1911. I currently have a Ruger P95 (15 round mags) and a S&W 6906 (12 round mags). Both are post-1994.
Neither gun would be a problem to possess in MA if you get a MA non-res LTC. You would need to carry either pre-ban magazines (pre 9/14/94), or 10-round magazines.

It appears that pre-ban magazines are available for the 6906, but I don't think I'd spend extra just for 2 more rounds.

+1 for the WOT at Westford. My wife, mother-in-law, and three co-workers attended last year and all wanted to do it again the next weekend. Five co-workers are already excited about this year.

Sig Sauer Academy in Epping has a great women's only class.

Just to be clear, a vanilla NRA HFS or BP course is not enough. It has to be a NFS or BP class taught by a MA State Police Certified Instructor. There may not be many of those in NH. .

The Sig Basic 101 Class for women complies. Also, the Firing Line in Manchester offers classes for Home defence that comply (depending on who the instructor is). however, those classes are mixed.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom