Firearm Restoration

Any restoration shops you guys can recommend in MA? I'm looking for some work on the stock and potentially metal refinishing.

What type of firearm. Are you looking for a correct restoration or just a total refinished?

More details.

I had a chance to buy a couple of Parker shotguns, that had been professionally restored by DelGrego, back in the '70s. Beautiful, but I passed as the did not feel "alive", and I'd be putting a fair chunk of change on them, and I'd damn well better love them!

I spoke to a high-end Doubles dealer, and when I mentioned that they were restored, he said, "You mean destroyed."

I'll keep my dad's uncle's Parker (ca. 1898), with all its dings an history.

Moral of my circumlocution? Fixing may actually be ruining. Give us more details, and you'll get better advice.

It would be for an O/U -- no repair, just restoration of wood and hot blue for the barrels.

I'd like to bring it back to factory new so it looks like it did when it came off the factory floor.

From everything I have read, a high-end restoration will increase the value of a firearm across the board. Only in the cases where it's a rare (collectible) firearm should you leave it in original condition.

I'm hoping to keep it local. However, if it is sent out, I was looking into Turnbull and also Boses.

An O/U could be a Ruskie beater, or a Perazzi.

It's your gun. But, if you start with a $500 gun, and put another $500 into it, you may not get a $1000 gun at the end.

If you're looking to make coin by buffing and puffing, you may have a tough row to hoe; if you're trying to pretty up a gun for your own use, that's another thing.

It's like an old motorcycle I have - it's $500 or so as it sits. To have it serviced, new tires, etc., would cost $1000. Then, it would be worth $500.

[laugh]

My boss dumped 100k restoring a dodge charger rt......done right and all matching....thought he would flip and make some cash.....nope to a loss after sitting on it for a few years.
If its a Browning every person who I know sent their browning's to Browning came back looking awesome. Mainly personal guns that have wear and tear andcthey wanted that "new" look.
You will be hard pressed to make any refinished gun more valuable.

I have also seen several guns done over by Cole's gunsmithing in ME. that came back VERY nice. 2 had upgraded fancy walnut stocks made up.

If it's a highly desirable gun, maybe. If you want it restored back to factory spec, then you're best best is to send it back to the manufacturer if they are still around. If you want it restored back to spec for your own use, then it's a value judgment.

1776 Gunsmiths in Walpole specialize in repairing and restoring older guns. I've only had them put night sights on a semi auto for me, but I know their shop is set up for hot bluing. I think they're closed until after the first of the year, but they are worth talking to.

It would be for an O/U -- no repair, just restoration of wood and hot blue for the barrels.

I'd like to bring it back to factory new so it looks like it did when it came off the factory floor.

From everything I have read, a high-end restoration will increase the value of a firearm across the board. Only in the cases where it's a rare (collectible) firearm should you leave it in original condition.

I'm hoping to keep it local. However, if it is sent out, I was looking into Turnbull and also Boses.

Back
Top Bottom